Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Hook lol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

jtsuited wrote: »
    no but honestly we don't really know how great or how little his input was in new order and joy division.
    To presume that he's one of the major creative forces in the band is silly as there are many people in bands that could be easily replaced and their sound wouldn't change.

what's with the bitchiness telepaul?
    you were the one being sarcastic first.

Look I'm not going to sit here and argue the point - especially when you say things like the above. Besides, it's not relevant to music production in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

TelePaul wrote: »
    Look I'm not going to sit here and argue the point - especially when you say things like the above. Besides, it's not relevant to music production in the slightest.

didn't he produce the charlatans album?

(most ironic band to produce ever!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

it's not relevant to music production in the slightest.
    Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

"sei046" as a "moderator" you seem very biased in your opinions with regards to dj's and that form of "music".

You probably glanced at the first couple of posts in the boards remix thread and saw that it was an electronic remix idea and have not paid the slightest bit of attention to any of the other posts in that feckin thread but seem to be paying more attention "bashing" a certain form of musician on this thread.

So I ask you in "this" thread....

Can you please deleted the broken link that I posted in the Remix thread?!?!?!?!

DJ Basher!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Personally i think it is relevant to music production. Earth shattering? No, but as relevant as if someone posted that all of <insert top name producers> mastering and EQ was done by automated settings in <insert software package here> :)
    I am not a DJ and frankly cannot stand electronic music, however to dismiss it is ridiculous.

It is a different form of music, which uses turntables or whatever as its instrument. No different from drummers etc in my opinion..

And to say its not creative, just smacks of ignorance.. I can play all 12 notes in the scale on my guitar. Does that make me Lennon or Vai or Gallagher.. No it doesnt, it takes creativity and talent to get to that level. No different for a DJ.. that's why the great ones (and no i cant name one cos i dont listen to it :) ) stand out to fans of that genre..

Just my 2c :)

• Advertisement

Welease wrote: »
    Personally i think it is relevant to music production. Earth shattering? No, but as relevant as if someone posted that all of <insert top name producers> mastering and EQ was done by automated settings in <insert software package here> :)
    I am not a DJ and frankly cannot stand electronic music, however to dismiss it is ridiculous.

It is a different form of music, which uses turntables or whatever as its instrument. No different from drummers etc in my opinion..

And to say its not creative, just smacks of ignorance.. I can play all 12 notes in the scale on my guitar. Does that make me Lennon or Vai or Gallagher.. No it doesnt, it takes creativity and talent to get to that level. No different for a DJ.. that's why the great ones (and no i cant name one cos i dont listen to it :) ) stand out to fans of that genre..

Just my 2c :)
    Rory or Noel? .... or Liam?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Welease wrote: »

And to say its not creative, just smacks of ignorance..

Welease may have hit the nail on the head re DJs.

DJing technically IS just playin' records, but there is more to it.

However it's 'contextual' music i.e. it really only makes sense in a club. In this way for me it's like Trad. In the live performance it comes to life where I might enjoy it, but have no interest otherwise.

I remember being in Amsterdam in the early 90s and falling into the Paradiso Club suitably lubricated .
    Up to that point dance music really hadn't featured on my radar but that night it all made sense.
    The place was heaving and the DJ read the audience to bring them up and down - he controlled the room.
    Tunes that I may have little interest in hearing on the radio came to life on the big rig with a couple of thousand people (?) boppin' to 'em !

A DJ uses his records like guitar players use riffs. They have that in common, invariably they're someone else's!

I remember in the mid 90's mainstream DJs like Todd Terry transformed other people's tunes FOR the dancefloor , effectively saying " Let me introduce your work (the artist) to my audience in a format that suits'" with both benefiting. Everything but the girl was one I remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BD8jZDoB

So unless you've experienced dance music when it's at home ( in da club) I could very easily see why you'd just see a DJ having no real skills - you might, however, be wrong!

With regard to Peter, perhaps he's having the last laugh?

The idea of dismissing him as some sort of muppet is idiotic though - he obviously doesn't have great technical skills but still has managed to forge a sound and a style that is unquestionably his own. How many people EVER do that, especially on the bass?

Respect to the Cheeky Monkey for buying MixMag on the way to the gig and thinking " I wonder could I get away with it?" Punk lives!

as paul says it really is about context.

My girlfriend hates electronic music (especially minimal), but i managed to get her to go see gui boratto two weeks ago.
    the dj on beforehand was truly a great dj. He had the place absolutely heaving with these records that you would not play at home or in your car whatsoever but they worked in this club better than anything i've ever heard.

I hadn't heard even one of them (that's quite rare as i tend to be familiar with at least one track in most dj's sets). And either had anyone else, but when he finished his set the whole place gave a proper applause, and this was only the warm-up guy.

Nobody knew who he was. Everybody was asking by the end. Ok so what's my point:

Well as I said up to that point my girlfriend had maintained that she hated electronic music (especially minimal), but now was saying 'this is unbelievable, i understand it now'. I was shocked but only to a certain extent. I had sort of felt the same about a lot of the Detroit acid stuff (as in I hated it and thought it was rubbish) until one night in a dive of a club, I realised in the right place at the right time nothing can beat it.

Dance music needs to be put in context.

As far as creativity goes, i'd love to see ANYONE from here play a warm up set for one of the biggest techno producers in the world at the moment(gui boratto), to a fairly snobby crowd, play not one record anyone knows, play technically flawlessly (his transitions were beat perfect), and manage to get a huge cheer at the end from a crowd that was so stiff at the beginning.

And that doesn't take creativity? Or talent? or skill?
    People who are going to dismiss what dj's do should really educate themselves sufficiently before making such ignorant judgements.

Or at least get with the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I don't think its without creative merit, I just think being a musician requires more creativity.

I don't think its without creative merit, I just think being a musician requires more creativity.

and you've done both? to the same level?

because you can't make that call until then.

Honestly I looked down on dj's for a long time until i saw some unbelievable sets by guys who have proven themselves in the studio as well.

It's a whole different thing altogether. A few years ago I taught keyboard and bass to a dj friend of mine and my god he picked it up far quicker than anyone i've ever seen. Then he taught me how to mix properly. Pretty much an equally musical skill (to do properly), and one that requires great feel for music. And sure isn't feel for music the same thing as talent for music.

I've played many gigs in my life over a range of instruments, and i've dj'd a little too. And playing an instrument is not that far away from playing a dj set. Actually I think it takes a hell of a lot more dedication, good ears, musical aptitude, and general talent to be a good dj than be a bass player in a band like New Order.
    Probably the reason Peter Hook is covering up the fact he can't dj by playing mix cd's.
    Why else would he be doing it?

Oh and it wasn't a one-off by the way. He's been caught playing the same mix cd (done by someone else) a load of times in different parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

and you've done both? to the same level?

because you can't make that call until then.

Honestly I looked down on dj's for a long time until i saw some unbelievable sets by guys who have proven themselves in the studio as well.

It's a whole different thing altogether. A few years ago I taught keyboard and bass to a dj friend of mine and my god he picked it up far quicker than anyone i've ever seen. Then he taught me how to mix properly. Pretty much an equally musical skill (to do properly), and one that requires great feel for music. And sure isn't feel for music the same thing as talent for music.

I've played many gigs in my life over a range of instruments, and i've dj'd a little too. And playing an instrument is not that far away from playing a dj set. Actually I think it takes a hell of a lot more dedication, good ears, musical aptitude, and general talent to be a good dj than be a bass player in a band like New Order.
    Probably the reason Peter Hook is covering up the fact he can't dj by playing mix cd's.
    Why else would he be doing it?

Oh and it wasn't a one-off by the way. He's been caught playing the same mix cd (done by someone else) a load of times in different parts of the world.

Are you honestly saying that no one is allowed comment on this unless they have reached a level of proficiency within both disciplines? That's absurd.

frobisher wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that no one is allowed comment on this unless they have reached a level of proficiency within both disciplines? That's absurd.

no i'm saying that how can someone reasonably judge until they understand both.
    And it's difficult to understand both until you have done both at the same level (within reason).

If I was a trumpet player and I said 'sure playing drums is easy, you just hit things in time, with my instrument there's only three buttons and we have to get a load of different notes out of it using different embouchre etc.', i think it would be a fairly reasonable response to say 'have you ever played the drums at near the same level (relatively speaking) that you play trumpet? because until then you can't reasonably make that judgement'.

Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion but it doesn't mean that automatically their opinion is entirely valid and not with huge flaws and ignorance.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

DJ'ing requires a huge amount of skill and musical knowledge, if you have never tried it you certainly shouldn't dismiss it as anything else.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    DJ'ing requires a huge amount of skill and musical knowledge, if you have never tried it you certainly shouldn't dismiss it as anything else.

So Peter Hook tells me :-)

Where do DJs shop? Newsagents ...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yes, he is pretty well informed...I know you guys rub shoulders with the stars alright :pac:
    PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Where do DJs shop? Newsagents ...

You da man.

PH "Howareya Paul?"
    PB "Ah Peter, hows tings?"
    PH "Grand, just over for a huge DJing gig in the RDS... any craic yourself?"
    PB " Ah, just the usual - trying to keep the lads on Boards.ie in order"
    PH "A thankless task I'd say?"
    PB " To say the least ... fancy a pint?"
    PH " No I can't I have to get some music for the gig"
    PB " Oh right, where you off to?"
    PH "Easons"
    PB " Fair enough, grab us a Reader's Digest when you're there will ya?"
    PH " Aye"
    PB "... and a pencil.."
    PH "Will do...."

PH "Howareya Paul?"
    PB "Ah Peter, hows tings?"
    PH "Grand, just over for a huge DJing gig in the RDS... any craic yourself?"
    PB " Ah, just the usual - trying to keep the lads on Boards.ie in order"
    PH "A thankless task I'd say?"
    PB " To say the least ... fancy a pint?"
    PH " No I can't I have to get some music for the gig"
    PB " Oh right, where you off to?"
    PH "Easons"
    PB " Fair enough, grab us a Reader's Digest when you're there will ya?"
    PH " Aye"
    PB "... and a pencil.."
    PH "Will do...."

paul you are the David Brent of music production.

• Advertisement

paul you are the David Brent of music production.

Surely you mean Ricky Gervais? YOU'RE the David Brent ....

Surely you mean Ricky Gervais? YOU'RE the David Brent ....

well no because I'm not old, don't make crap jokes, and don't think i'm particularly funny.

also I'm a little bit intelligent.

well no because I'm not old, don't make crap jokes, and don't think i'm particularly funny.

....ahem.... :p

....ahem.... :p

;)

no but seriously i'm intelligent enough to be in mensa so I figure I can say i'm a little intelligent.

;)

no but seriously i'm intelligent enough to be in mensa so I figure I can say i'm a little intelligent.

"No but seriously?" A well then fair play. :D:D:D

Peter Hook is probably actually in Dublin at the moment (<snip> We'll have to leave that bit out <snip> Frobisher)

I'd say there'll be a few eq knob replacements being ordered somewhere round town come monday mornin!

And maybe easons will be missing a few free cd's!:D

edit: and a shortage of columbia's finest.

(<snip> We'll have to leave that bit out <snip> Frobisher)
    yeah figured as much. apologies.

yeah figured as much. apologies.

Nay bother....

Well if you're so smart what's the square root of 64 then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Fair Play to Hooky.
    If people want to pay to go and hear some star play records, leave them at it. I'm sure they had a great time. Seems to be quite a lot of that crap around, just 'cause some one's a good musician doesn't make them a good DJ. Bass player from the Smiths is at that aul' craic aswell.

I might point out at this stage that's entirely possible to have an IQ of 140 and be a complete spanner!!!

Advertisement