Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon on hunting

Options
  • 16-05-2008 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Any one seen posters around galway saying to vote no to lisbon to stop hunting?

I havent heard of a link,

any one know if there is one?
    cant remember the website it stated at the bottom,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

lmtduffy wrote: »

OK, that's a new one. How could voting No to Lisbon stop something that is currently happening from happening?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I dunno. i feel half tempted to go around putting up signs that say

VOTE YES - AVOID ANOTHER REFERENDUM

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

ill try remember the website next time,

surely all will come clear

sorry he website is www.banfoxhuntingcrueltyireland.com

but there is no mention of lisbon on it,,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I saw those and just stared in confusion.

With all the other issues revolving around the Lisbon Treaty they;re still bleating about fox hunting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've seen them, don't know what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I would vote YES for stop hunting. It's not humanitarian.. Ireland has really not a lot of animals comparing to the rest of Europe.. Let's save Irish foxes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I would vote YES for stop hunting. It's not humanitarian.. Ireland has really not a lot of animals comparing to the rest of Europe.. Let's save Irish foxes!!

oh dear..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Whatever way anyone votes, this really, really isn't something that should influence them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I don't know, I heard that bureaucrats from Brussels want to come here for their holidays and hunt our pets. I don't want bingo to be shot by an unelected up his own arse political elite.[/sarcasm]

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

My one and only warning on this: this isn't a thread for discussing fox hunting. It's a thread for discussion of Lisbon's relevance to fox hunting.

As such, I expect it to be very short lived.

Well as soon as we get some clarification as to the supposed link,

I sent the website an email this morning asking about it,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Whatever way anyone votes, this really, really isn't something that should influence them.

I agree.

I'm no fan of fox hunting mind, but when compared to the Laval/Vaxholm case, there really is no comparison.

I'm against both fox hunting and the lisbon treaty but how are they linked?

For serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

vote yes to stop foxhunting.

what a load of bolli*ks!

a sleazy move by the yes camp in my opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

stevoman wrote: »
    vote yes to stop foxhunting.

what a load of bolli*ks!

a sleazy move by the yes camp in my opinion.

I thought it was "Vote No to stop foxhunting" as the OP said.

Either way it's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Wouldn't the an EU wide law on fox hunting go against the rules of subsidiarity?

sink wrote: »
    Wouldn't the an EU wide law on fox hunting go against the rules of subsidiarity?

I would think so, yes.

I heard voting no to lisbon will get you a girlfriend, is that true?

I heard voting no to Lisbon will get you a girlfriend, is that true?

No the opposite because of the eu’s competition policy pretty people will have there monopoly on sexual partners stopped by burning them horribly a la dark man.

the posters actually plug the website www.stopfoxhuntingcruelty.com.

which does not exist,
    I found www.stopfoxhuntingcrueltyireland.com via goggle and presume its the same thing,

and am awaiting a reply from the above website as to whether it can explain if there is a link,
    or if they are the same websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

I've seen little ads around Dublin saying "vote no or they'll chip your children", with a photo of a screaming baby getting a computer chip implanted into its arm.

I really like to think it's a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I've seen little ads around Dublin saying "vote no or they'll chip your children", with a photo of a screaming baby getting a computer chip implanted into its arm.

I really like to think it's a joke.

Both sides seem to be relying on the poster campaign and all sorts of claims. (Obviously at least part of the no campaign is going for wild sensationalism, whereas the yes side is playing down the importance of Lisbon and the bigger changes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

lmtduffy wrote: »

I've stopped noticing those posters years ago. Same ill informed individuals plastering them up. If it weren't the Lisbon Treaty then it would have been over the F word or Dustin.

On the Treaty itself, I'll be voting a great big NO due to my work. It would be unfortunate if this had any effect on fox hunting as that is something I'm 100% in favour of :)

Please let us know if you hear more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How does yes affect your work?

Maybe he works for libertas:pac::pac:

I havent heard any word back yet,
    the website on the posters(some of the posters dont give the full address omitting the ireland part at the end), has not mention of lisbon on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Country is full of foxes a few more wudnt matter, anyway they never get foxes or any game when hunting!

Jemmy wrote: »
    anyway they never get foxes or any game when hunting!

There's a whole rip of photos in the hunting forum which proves otherwise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

IRLConor wrote: »
    There's a whole rip of photos in the hunting forum which proves otherwise. :D

I didnt mean literally never smart ass, i meant rarely. And is it horse huntong your all talking bout or lamping and shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I didnt mean literally never smart ass, i meant rarely. And is it horse huntong your all talking bout or lamping and shooting?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54769066&postcount=404
    rarely me hole.
    This was after one night.

I didnt mean literally never smart ass, i meant rarely.

:p
    And is it horse huntong your all talking bout or lamping and shooting?

Both, although hunting in the Hunting forum is almost universally the shooting type. Hunting on horseback usually lives on the Equestrian forum.

I can't see the Lisbon treaty having any effect on hunting here. I don't know for sure which competences would cover hunting issues. I suspect that the firearms parts would fall under "area of freedom, security and justice" and the rest would fall under "agriculture and fisheries" and/or "environment". If I remember correctly, these competences are ones that exist prior to Lisbon (I couldn't be arsed checking now, feel free to correct me).

In general though, EU harmonisation shouldn't have much of an effect on hunting in Ireland. From what I understand most EU countries (the UK being a notable exception) have more liberal firearms laws than Ireland where hunting firearms are concerned. On the animal rights/welfare side of things hunting is pretty popular in continental Europe so I can't see much political motivation for restricting it.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This isn't a discussion on fox-hunting, and if it turns into one, I'll be hunting scalps.

Advertisement