Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars to bring back Marathon bars

• 16-05-2008 4:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if posted already.
    Marathon chocolate bars are to make a return to British shops, almost two decades after they were renamed Snickers.

Manufacturer Mars is to bring back the original name in a three-month trial.

It is the latest in a line of relaunches for retro brand names, coming just weeks after the same company announced plans to bring back another former British favourite, Opal Fruits.

Marathon was renamed Snickers in 1990, after Mars decided to scrap the British brand and bring it into line with its global operation. For a period the wrapper of the bar carried both names, before Marathon was removed. The move made the bar something of a cultural reference point.

But the name has now been re-registered as a UK trademark.

Snickers is the best-selling chocolate bar of all time and has annual global sales of £1 billion. It was first created by Mars in 1930 and is believed to have been named in memory of a horse belonging to the owners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They better bring them back out on July the 19th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, I'm 21. I don't ever remember them being called anything except Snickers.
    So, to people my age, it would be like taking away part of their childhood.

I did actually once have a marathon bar, once, Bought it back in 2000 from a cart outside Lansdowne Road. Thought it was strange, that it tasted just like Snickers.
    Didn't look at the expiration date. Probably just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Marathon chocolate bars are to make a return to British shops
    Does this mean not Irish?

I can't wait, I haven't eaten one since they changed names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

DesF wrote: »

I can't wait, I haven't eaten one since they changed names.

Really! that was years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

oblivious wrote: »
    Really! that was years ago
    Yep, I also haven't eaten Starburst either.

I haven't watched The Den either, since they re-named it that from Dempsey's Den.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Do you still refuse to listen to the radio, now that it's no longer called the wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Blisterman wrote: »
    I did actually once have a marathon bar, once, Bought it back in 2000 from a cart outside Lansdowne Road. Thought it was strange, that it tasted just like Snickers.
    Didn't look at the expiration date. Probably just as well.

I bought a Marathon from some pikey outside the galway races a few yrs back as well. Same situation, didn't want to look at the expiry date - prob something to do with my eyes being occupied with the pikey kids trying to swipe my wallet... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

yay! Always was Marathon in my mind.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I haven't watched The Den either, since they re-named it that from Dempsey's Den.

Des, what the hell age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Do shops still except the punt since the changeover?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i remember the first day i bought a snickers

I said nickers :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

emulationarticlemarathon.jpg
    I remember my old man cutting them up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

If they could bring back Super Cans Of Coke and Marathons And Put on re-runs of the A-Team at five o clock on a saturday just after the re-runs of Big Daddy and Giaint Haystacks Wrestling. And I could fit into my Old Sleep Suit.... I'd Be In Heaven...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never stopped calling them Marathon Bars.

I heard that they're renaming Mars as Snunderpants!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

good news, never stoped calling them marathons either, damn yanks with their snickers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭DenMan

Damn right man. The tried and trusted Marathon. I knew a mate of mine that kept his Marathon bar, unopened mind you when he heard it was to be renamed to Snickers. Crazy Mtr Fkr. Takes all sorts to make up the world I suppose. Wonder what happened to that bar......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

DenMan wrote: »
    Damn right man. The tried and trusted Marathon. I knew a mate of mine that kept his Marathon bar, unopened mind you when he heard it was to be renamed to Snickers. Crazy Mtr Fkr. Takes all sorts to make up the world I suppose. Wonder what happened to that bar......

You ate it... didn't you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Brilliant news. Delighted to hear about Opal Fruits too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ha Ha. No I probably would have put it up for auction now. Make a killing out of it. Somebody would bid for it.....I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

ekevosu wrote: »
    Do shops still except the punt since the changeover?

Haha good one, I don't use Cif either to clean me bog....oh no wait, i don't clean me bog!
    Stupidest thing ever is that Snickers was named after a horse that the mars family owned*, so obviously when i open my brewery I'm gonna make "Princes Ale".......oh wait that doesnt sound too bad.

*Done a presentation in college on Mars company one day to p*ss off a lecturer who had given us presentation topics out on Ancient gods!!

edit : Nuts I've been beaten too it:
    1_front_Princes%20Ale.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

Around 2 mins. Classic Ted!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Man, you really stick to your principles! What would you do if they changed here to forums.ie?

Good news on the Marathon front. Cultural difference FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm delighted about the Opal fruits. I never called them starburst. I tried explaining to my 12 year old cousin a few months back why I call them Opal Fruits, she just looked blankly at me.

Now she'll have to call them Opal Fruits too. Mwah hah hah!

(if she insists on calling them starbust still there'll be trouble!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

rubadub wrote: »

Wtf? People cut up their bars instead of taking big manly bites or shoveling it in yer gob? It's got nuts for God's sake. It's a mans bar!

hmmm.. Not slicing bars is prob why people are so obese these days. :p

I remember it being called Marathon and I'm 23. I remember the ads, and the old Mars ads, pouring the milk and malt grain... and that song "A Mars a day..."

Good times. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a mars a day keeps al qaeda away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Annee

Weird, I remember the change over of Marathon to Snickers but had no problem with it. Never got used to Opal Fruits being called Star Bursts though.

Man I want a snickers/marathon/chocolatelygoodness now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

rubadub wrote: »

I had a friend you used to cut her Marathon in to 5 pieces and then eat one piece a day for 5 days... WTF a choccie bar lasting 5 days! Lucky to last 5 mins with me (that's about the length of time it takes to dip said bar in tea, lick the melted chocolate, repeat until lump about to fall in cup and then bite - repeat until bar is gone. Snickers/Marathon the best, most robust bar for doing this, you get plenty of dips before you have to bite!):D

Advertisement