Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More previews of Fall pilots (including JJ Abram's 'Fringe' and Whedon's 'Dollhouse')

• 16-05-2008 8:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭

View them here!

Rushing out the door so won't get to see them! :(

Let my know your opinions / reactions etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Just watched the Dollhouse trailer - wow, fair city style acting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

jameshayes wrote: »
    Just watched the Dollhouse trailer - wow, fair city style acting!
    Uh-oh.. that's not good! :(

But it does star Eliza Dushku who, although absolutely gorgeous, never really impressed me as an actress.

Anyways, no doubt the "Whedon heads" will watch regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dollhouse - some random scene that tells you nothing about the show.

Fringe - looked a bit better, but plot taken straight from The Outer Limits

Do Not Disturb - Blah.

Sit Down Shut Up - The fact that this was animated was a surprise. Hate canned laughter in cartoons. This isn't the bloody 60s.

Cleveland Show - More Family Guy. With Cleveland.

Scrubs - 2 minutes of random clips from the last few series.

Didn't look at CW stuff (all reality TV), and 2 minutes of Christian Slater getting photographed wasn't very interesting (My Own Worst Enemy, NBC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Only looked at three new ones

Dollhouse - pointless trailer all right. She looks good, it doesn't, based on that clip.

Fringe - X-Files etc. written all over it. Worth a pilot methinks.

Do Not Disturb - Really really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Life on Mars looks good but only if you haven't seen the BBC version. Parts look like funny Starsky & Hutch / Dirty Harry riffs and the city scenes look more interesting than the Manchester equivalent in BBC LOM. Other parts though are just straight conversions of the BBC series (roof top chats with "girl", communication through TV, coma references etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

11th Hour
    http://www.tv.com/eleventh-hour/show/75271/summary.html

Im in work so havent had a chance to see deoll house or cleveland yet.

although eithe rof these could be funny
    http://www.tv.com/the-goode-family/show/75229/summary.html Goodie Family
    or else Life on Mars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'll probably watch the pilots of Dollhouse and Fringe, but the rest look pretty bad. Family Guy is awful nowadays, so giving its most boring character his own show doesn't give me much inspiration.

The Quagmire Show would have made more sex sense. Giggidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

quaqmire is too repatative, not enough can happen with joe. Who else gressed up deaf guy? the old man?

cleaveland has a exexplained but yes boring charactor. He was there only choice though? remember he got knocked in the head when he used to be a actionier and that made him slow? maybe in the spin off he gets hit on the head and is normel?

Anyway they couldent brian away and who else is there? meg? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Tom Tucker, would be a good character to spin off.

Not a friend of the Griffin's, so it could go in a completely different direction, and we don't know much about him, other than he has an upside down face son, and likes hookers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Pretty much all of that looked terrible, most of all "The Goode Family", "Sit down shut up" and "Worst Week". I thought "Worst week" was going to be a "Meet the Parents" clone, but it's not funny, so it's actually "Guess Who" then.

Will keep an eye out for Fringe (dodgy lights in darkened rooms seems awfully familiar) and Dollhouse, though won't expect too much from them. Remember, "Bionic Woman" actually seemed like a good idea, until it got made. Having said that, "Heroes" originally looked like a terrible premise for a show, and the Pilot of that was pretty bad too. How wrong many of us were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My 2 cents yet again:
    • "Dollhouse" - can anyone outside of Elliott from 'Scrubs' pull off the term "frickin'"? Eliza can't, that's for damn sure. I love the synopsis for this but the scene alone was too random and brief to judge it. But I've enough faith in Whedon to anticipate this.
    • "Fringe" - Pacey's dialogue was unconvincing, but it looks impressive enough (albeit too brief of a clip). I'd say Fox'll put forth a nice chunk of cash for it. I'd still watch anything JJ Abrams puts his name on, but this could be either brillant or watchable (don't think it'll be terrible anyways). Some lovely promo images and poster art here too.
    • "Do Not Disturb" - very brief but oh so painful, painful.. PAINFUL!
    • "Sit Down Shut Up" - also very brief and the laugh-track in an animated series just felt really out-of-place and odd. But it is worth bearing in mind this is from the brain of 'Arrested Development' writer and producer Mitch Hurwitz, and the pilot uses the voice talents of AD cast members Jason Bateman (Michael), Will Arnett (GOB) and Henry Winkler (Barry Zuckerkorn) so I would not dismiss this at all just yet!
    • "The Cleveland Show" - why did this sound like it was underwater - anyone else? :confused: Meh, stopped watching 'Family Guy' at the start of this season and don't think I'll try and catch up so don't know if I'd be bothered in watching this. Will probably give the pilot a shot though.
    • "Secret Millionaire" - Fox can shove their "scripted-reality-TV" up their ass. More tacky crap.. with the inevitable realisation each week that the millionaire learned something from the under-privileged families they were living with. Then, they go back to their mansion!
    • "The 11th Hour" - opinion here!
    • "The Ex-List" - opinion here!
    • "Harper's Island" - opinion here!
    • "Project Gary" - opinion here!
    • "The Mentalist" - opinion here!
    • "Worst Week" - opinion here!
    • "Life On Mars" - opinion here
    • "Scrubs" - am I the only one who still enjoys 'Scrubs'? Apart from that horrific finale which was terrible but also summed up why it's good they're leaving Fox. It was aired completely out of sequence. That was supposed to mid-season and suffered from a couple of continuity errors. Somewhat looking forward to another season, but it'll definitely be the last.
    • "The Goode Family" - not another animated series from Mike Judge. Don't get me wrong - both 'Beavis and Butthead' and 'Office Space' were him at his peak. But 'King Of The Hill' and 'Idiocracy' both never did it for me (the latter especially.. horrific film!). Interviews with some very un-interesting people and hilarious insight into the wild and wacky characters soon to be rolling to being another victim of Fox's "happy-axeing!"
    • "Surviving The Filty Rich" - a 14 second clip with 2 words (and I can't even determine what she's saying - something about "holy molars!" :confused). The synopsis was enough to send me scream to the pause button, then the 'erase from my mind' button!
    • "Opportunity Knocks" - Ashton 'DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWG' Kutcher as a producer on a gameshow? Hmmm... how could it fail? Oh wait, I see I answered my own question. And American families really do make the stupidest contestants!
    • "Stylista" - the words "Tyra" and "Banks" made me skip this. The only words scarier than "Ashton" and "Kutcher".
    • "My Own Worst Enemy" - just a photoshoot of Christian Slater which got a bit repetitive after 9 seconds but I've heard the synopsis (
      new spin on Jekyll & Hyde
      ) of this series and it sounds quite intriguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

nice cleveage eliza

Ms. Doooooshku's cleavage was the most exciting thing about that clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I only watched;

Dollhouse - which looks crap, don't think i'll be tuning in.

Fringe - Looked ok, defo a alias/xfiles/lost feeling from it(nothing wrong with that!). Looks like they'll use humor with Joshua Jacksons character which I liked.

Do Not Disturb - No...

The rest was takin ages to load so I didn't bother waiting!:p
    I think Ch4 did a version of 'Secret Millionaire' I saw a couple of episodes t'was good, depending on the people in it, I recon the US version will be very fake tho..

Looking forward to Fringe the most outta that lot:)

Advertisement