Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to parenting

Options
  • 16-05-2008 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi there,

My wife has recently become pregnant which is fantastic. We are confused about our options though. We have very good health insurance and are probably going private. I'm confused though how to get in contact with private doctors! Can anyone detail the process. We live in North Dublin. Is there any private hospitals in that area or in county louth? Whats the general opinion about drogheda hospital?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

Hi there,

I'm attending Drogheda Hospital privately. I've heard good reports from Friends and family so happy to attend. I don't believe there are any totally private Maternity hosiptals in Louth. You can get some good info on Rollercoaster and Magicmum forums.

As regards finding a private consultant, you just ring around from recommendations and see who's available. They can book up very quickly so get your skates on! I've heard Doc Higgins is excellent and I'm attending Doc Milner who's great as well.

Best of luck,m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

A larger hgospital may be safer. 7,000 babies delivered in the rotunda last year. You can check into a 5 star hotel the next day if you want some luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Basically you ring the hospital tell them you wish to book your first appointment and you tell them you are to be a private patient and will transfer your call to the private clinc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Congrats on the pregnancy!
    I went private and would definitely recommend it, but remember that even with health insurance, you'll have to pay out around 4000 euro for it (some of which you can claim back from the taxman on the Med1 form at the end of the year).
    Your GP or friends and family will be able to recommend a private consultant. However, I'd recommend booking asap, as they book up fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

peaches79 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm attending Drogheda Hospital privately. I've heard good reports from Friends and family so happy to attend. I don't believe there are any totally private Maternity hosiptals in Louth. You can get some good info on Rollercoaster and Magicmum forums.

As regards finding a private consultant, you just ring around from recommendations and see who's available. They can book up very quickly so get your skates on! I've heard Doc Higgins is excellent and I'm attending Doc Milner who's great as well.

Best of luck,m.

Drogheda is a long way from North Dublin, especially if the baby decides to make an appearance at peak traffic time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

I can make it to Drogheda in 15 mins whereas the dublin hospitals are at least 40 mis away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I can make it to Drogheda in 15 mins whereas the dublin hospitals are at least 40 mis away.

WOW 15 minutes! Well whichever hospital you can make it too with time to spare is a good indicator of which one to chose. Many of my friends have had their babies in Drogheda and have had only good things to say so if you do pick this hospital you should (by all accounts) be in good hands.
    All the best to you and the expectant mum:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

Thanks for the help. Its a very scary time for us both at the mo. I can't wait to tell my friends and family! In fact its killing me not to say anything! We are trying to hold out till 12 weeks before telling anyone! How did ye all manage it?

Life from now on is changing for ever!

Advertisement