Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter & Roma to have no fans on final weekend

• 16-05-2008 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Will be very odd that one of the teams celebrating a title win will have no fans to celebrate with....

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15052008/58/serie-inter-supporters-banned-parma.html
    Serie A - Inter supporters banned from Parma

Eurosport - Thu, 15 May 11:58:00 2008

Internazionale supporters have been banned from attending Sunday's final Serie A match at Parma, two days after supporters of title rivals Roma were barred from their game at Catania.

Inter lead Roma by one point heading into the final weekend of the season with the two games also crucial for the bottom end of the table with Catania just two points above third-bottom Parma, who occupy the last relegation place.

Fan violence has marred the Italian game in recent years with a policeman being killed in riots outside a match in Catania in February last year.

A national anti-hooligan body, set up to rule on whether away supporters can attend certain high-risk matches, has been meeting all week and left the decision to the individual city authorities.

The head of Parma's civil security body told reporters they had decided to ban Inter fans.

"Yes, the body has agreed to the closure of the visitors' section of Parma's stadium for Sunday," Michele Formiglio said.

Antonio Matarrese, the head of the Italian league, has been among those to criticise the decisions to ban the fans from possibly seeing their team win the title. Authorities say public safety is more important.

Media reports said fan groups have threatened violence at Sunday's matches, with some away supporters still planning to travel to the games to protest.

Roma fans were also banned for an Italian Cup semi-final, second leg at Catania last week. The match finished 1-1 but Roma reached the final 2-1 on aggregate.
    Reuters

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its a bit harsh becasue it is so last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

kearnsr wrote: »
    Its a bit harsh becasue it is so last minute.

After last week when Siena held Inter to a 2-2 draw and hundreds of Inter fans surrounded the Siena manager and his family hurling abuse, death threats and spitting on them for ruining their day can't say I feel much sympathy!

The Inter Ultras are already planning a 'peaceful' invasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I thought Italian fans didn't travel in numbers anyway?

Always seems to be a small away contingent, can't have been more than 200 Lazio at the Milan-Lazio game I was at back in March.

I do accept it's the possible title winning weekend, so maybe more would want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Unlike English away support, like in Spain there is a minimum set amount that a club can take away to games in the League over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I know its an easy thing to just tar people based on minorities, but I was in San Siro at both AC and Inter's home matchs, and lived in Milan for a while, but the Inter crowd and supporters were generally the rougher of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Unlike English away support, like in Spain there is a minimum set amount that a club can take away to games in the League over there.
    A minimum? So if they don't get 500 to go they just cancel the trip?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think its usually just the ultras who travel and not all of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

An Ultra has no name, only good friends know him. An Ultra has no face, most of the time a hood is covering his head, a scarf covering his mouth. An Ultras doesnt dress like others and doesnt follow trends and like the latest. When he walks the streets even though he has no supporter logos he is recognisable. An Ultra attacks if attacked, and helps when needed, they dont stop being ultras as soon as they take their scarf off and return home, they battle 7 days a week.

Many people use the word Ultra loosely, many of these Italian clubs have hooligan groups.

Advertisement