Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xp for schools

• 16-05-2008 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

i got a contract supporting a school, some people have offered to donate pcs, but some are win95-me, one winme machine is 1.2ghz with 254mb ram, which is ideal for xp.

wondering does a school get liscences free/cheaper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

As far as I know, they do get them very cheaply. Best to give microsoft a buzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Schools can avail of the Microsoft Campus agreement which gives them licences for their OS, Office and CALs, the price is about €5 per PC per annum, I know that the VEC's use this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there was another option for something like €20 each
    it keeps moving

IIRC the €5 applies to windows 98 and not 2000 :(
    ring up someone in microsoft , because they keep changing and maybe with vista out then2000 might be more available.

Fresh Start
    http://www.microsoft.com/education/fsinfo.mspx
    Pentium III computers qualify
    Computers must have been received as a donation from a private individual, business, or government agency and use a Pentium III (or equivalent) or lower microprocessor to qualify. Their original, installed operating systems are assumed to have been Windows, and the school must retain ownership of the computers. The operating system license or software you receive may not be transferred to students or other individuals or organizations outside the school.

Why Pentium 4 computers don't qualify
    Computers using a Pentium 4 (or equivalent) or higher processor already bear a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker indicating they have sufficient documentation for a valid Windows operating system license. To download and reinstall the appropriate Windows operating system, use any medium available, including a Microsoft volume licensing agreement if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Talk to Cormac Hayes in Micromail about Microsoft PILSA (Partners in Learning Software Agreement) - you can get XP Professional + Office 2007 Professional licences for €5+VAT per PC per year + a one-off €35+VAT for a Resource Kit (the actual CD's for installing). There is also a deal with Symantec for their Endpoint Protection product - works out €11.50+VAT per PC for the first year, and then reduces to €7+VAT (I think) per year + a one-off €35+VAT for the Resource Kit. Orders will have to be placed by the school not by yourself.

Advertisement