Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good weather and driver behaviour

Options
  • 16-05-2008 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Is it just me or does the sunny weather bring out the worst in drivers? Yesterday evening I was crossing at the pedestrian lights with my bike over to the Clontarf cycle/pedestrain track. About five seconds after the pedestrian lights turned green a car shot through, stopping immediately after the crossing behind the traffic. Totally unnecessary and dangerous, nearly colliding with me and a very nice lady who I found out was training a guide dog.

I asked the woman who was driving what colour did she think the lights were. She told me to f*ck off and that I will get myself killed. Afraid I saw red then. I extended a digit and told her in no uncertain terms what part of her anatomy she should use to swivel on it. Saw a few people looking over so decided not to continue my tirade. The lady training the guide dog pointed out to me that if she had been blind she would almost certinaly have been hit by the car since she would have crossed when she heard the pedestrain buzzer.

Anyway, lovely evening so forgot about it and did my lap of Howth Hill. On the way back through Sutton a car shot out of Sutton Lawn Tennis club across my path. Very close. I shook my head at the driver, a young guy about 19 I'd say. He looked at me and mouthed "wan*er".

Small enough incidents, but two in one outing was a bit unusual. I think the good weather, being stuck in a car and seeing someone much fitter and happier whizz by on a "toy" makes these unpleasant incidents more likely. Anyone else have a recent unpleasant encounter or is it just me!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i think the hot weather just frys some peoples brains, glad to hear no one was hurt/injured, or as the trainer said, killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Studoc wrote: »
    Yesterday evening I was crossing at the pedestrian lights with my bike over to the Clontarf cycle/pedestrain track. About five seconds after the pedestrian lights turned green a car shot through, stopping immediately after the crossing behind the traffic. Totally unnecessary and dangerous, nearly colliding with me and a very nice lady who I found out was training a guide dog.

A bit pointless rushing through a light just to be caught in traffic, why do it?:confused:

Was this on Alfie Byrne Rd by East Point? To be fair to drivers, the pedestrian crossing is about 15 metres from the lights so if you drive and lights change then the pedestrian light will come on and you’ll be caught in no-mans land
    Lights need to be tweaked by a few seconds

This might be irrelevant to your case though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

micmclo wrote: »
    Was this on Alfie Byrne Rd by East Point? To be fair to drivers, the pedestrian crossing is about 15 metres from the lights so if you drive and lights change then the pedestrian light will come on and you’ll be caught in no-mans land
    In reality though, the rules say that you shouldn't enter a junction unless your exit is clear (yellow box or no yellow box). But we all make that mistake.

Yeah, I've noticed that the hotter weather definitely makes people that little crazier. I'd imagine it's to do with people thinking they're safer due to the greater visibility, but also the irritation of being stuck in a metal can on a hot day.

Only close shave I had this week was a guy changing lanes. In fairness to him, as soon as he spotted me he slammed on his brakes and said, "Jaysus, sorry mate" (his window was open), so I let it slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Had a coach drive into me while I was trying to get his reg number after an incident during the week, dangerous overtaking nearly had me squished. Still deciding what to do with it, it's assault if I go through the courts but nothing will happen if I don't... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

Drivers in Dublin are just crazy. At most traffics lights when they go from red to green its like the start of a Formula 1 race, only to get 50m down the road and stop again. It seems like pointless agression to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

beans wrote: »
    Had a coach drive into me while I was trying to get his reg number after an incident during the week, dangerous overtaking nearly had me squished. Still deciding what to do with it, it's assault if I go through the courts but nothing will happen if I don't... :(

ah jaysus, you can't let that pass. report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

There are bad drivers (and bad cyclists) around in every weather I think. Yesterday a woman indicated left and swung in right in front of me to park. She very obviously didn't check her left mirror before turning, let alone her blind spot. I swerved out of the way and slammed on the brakes. She didn't see me until I was knocking on her window! She was very apologetic when I pointed out what had happened, but seriously, not even checking your mirror before turning. If I had been cycling quicker I would've definitely gone into the side of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I think you've put your finger on it there: resentment can make people very nasty.

Another major issue when cyclists confront motorists is guilt. People hate to be confronted with the fact that they have done something wrong. It generates a tiny burst of self-loating and, even if it's almost immediately flipped around and turned back against the accuser, it does at least indicate some appreciation of what it is like to be the victim.

For that reason, I think it would be much more worrying if a driver completely failed to react to a telling-off. There's nothing more annoying than that driver who successfully avoids making eye contact or spotting your hand gestures. But what if drivers started to meet your opprobium with a simple shrug of the shoulders? Or a cheerful laugh? Now that'd freak me out...
    I think the good weather, being stuck in a car and seeing someone much fitter and happier whizz by on a "toy" makes these unpleasant incidents more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It's pretty dog eat dog on the roads and cyclists seem to the lowest on the food chain. It's seem cyclists shouldn't be worthy of road presence. Car turingin left is my biggest bug bear. The weather is frying all motorists brains. Can you imagine being stuck in a hot car in rush hour, TBH I think I'm go a little mental if I was in that situation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Another major issue when cyclists confront motorists is guilt. People hate to be confronted with the fact that they have done something wrong. It generates a tiny burst of self-loating and, even if it's almost immediately flipped around and turned back against the accuser, it does at least indicate some appreciation of what it is like to be the victim.

dat sum deep shít right dere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hungrycol wrote: »
    It's pretty dog eat dog on the roads and cyclists seem to the lowest on the food chain. It's seem cyclists shouldn't be worthy of road presence. Car turingin left is my biggest bug bear. The weather is frying all motorists brains. Can you imagine being stuck in a hot car in rush hour, TBH I think I'm go a little mental if I was in that situation too.

absolutly, it can be worse outside dublin sometimes, obvoiusly not traffic volume, or numbers of incidents, but drivers outside the citys, seem to expect cyclists even less, i know there may be less of us, but we're still here, was cycling through a popular cloastal town in the NW a few weeks ago, got passed by a SUV, who was obviously in a hurry, who turned left into a carpark, no indicators, hardly even slowed down, if i was going any quicker, could have been very easly under his wheels, mangaged to slow down enough as i was almost level with his rear wing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

For that reason, I think it would be much more worrying if a driver completely failed to react to a telling-off. There's nothing more annoying than that driver who successfully avoids making eye contact or spotting your hand gestures. But what if drivers started to meet your opprobium with a simple shrug of the shoulders? Or a cheerful laugh? Now that'd freak me out...

Turn it back on the motorists. If someone in a car beeps at me for no reason other than they can't get by, I'll give them a wave as they pass, like I know them. Drives them nuts.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Malari wrote: »
    Turn it back on the motorists. If someone in a car beeps at me for no reason other than they can't get by, I'll give them a wave as they pass, like I know them. Drives them nuts.:D

Either that or signal with your hand that they go around you - not confrontational like - i mean like you're a bit simple. That REALLY grinds their gears..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Malari wrote: »
    One or two fingers? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

token56 wrote: »
    Drivers in Dublin are just crazy. At most traffics lights when they go from red to green its like the start of a Formula 1 race, only to get 50m down the road and stop again. It seems like pointless agression to me.

Do you think so?
    Cars overtaking me just to be stuck in traffic does piss me off alright, but I find the thing that really annoys me in a car is how slow motorists are to react to green lights. It’s bad driving practice and I think a big contributor to congestion. But it’s good for me as a cyclist I guess.

A few people have mentioned the weather making people drive badly lately. I’m not so sure though. I mean, I still think the Horrors of Winter make for much worse driving/cycling/walking behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

beans wrote: »

I was nearly squished myself by an overtaking coach last week..driver clearly knew i was there..do you have any witnesses Beans?

and cycling home yesterday I witnessed some van driver absolutely losing the plot, he was behind a woman in a micra waiting to turn onto a roundabout..she was from the looks of it really nervous and afraid to pull out. I was cycling the opposite direction and the guy was literally red in the face screaming the usual enraged abuse at her. Funny yet shocking to look at, wouldn't fancy "delaying him" on a bad day:p

Either that or signal with your hand that they go around you - not confrontational like - i mean like you're a bit simple. That REALLY grinds their gears..

Well if they don't drive right up behind me and act aggressively I WOULD signal for them to pass when it's safe. Most motorists appreciate it.

I hate when you're coming up to lights or a town or something, and cars dangerously overtake you, then you fly past them 10 seconds later. A smile in the window to say "didn't get far, did ya?" is always satisfying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

...do you have any witnesses Beans?

I was too pumped to think about looking for any after it happened, I was pretty shaken up. Crossed my mind by the time I got home, but yeah it's a bummer.

I think I'll still speak to the Gardai, even if nothing happens it might make him think twice for the future, which is the aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Yesterday evening I was crossing at the pedestrian lights with my bike over to the Clontarf cycle/pedestrain track. About five seconds after the pedestrian lights turned green a car shot through, stopping immediately after the crossing behind the traffic. Totally unnecessary and dangerous, nearly colliding with me and a very nice lady who I found out was training a guide dog.

I asked the woman who was driving what colour did she think the lights were. She told me to f*ck off and that I will get myself killed.

..snip..

Anyway, lovely evening so forgot about it and did my lap of Howth Hill. On the way back through Sutton a car shot out of Sutton Lawn Tennis club across my path. Very close. I shook my head at the driver, a young guy about 19 I'd say. He looked at me and mouthed "wan*er".
    The best revenge is to report them to TrafficWatch (1890-205-805). Even if you don't take it any further the driver will be cautioned and *that* will be on their record. If they are reported again the Gardai will take it more seriously. Recently a guy pulled out of a car park in front of me. The Gardai rang and told me that he'd gotten a speeding ticket already so this time he'd get a stern talking to in front of his parents (he's only 17).

BTW, giving the finger is quite pointless. I like to raise my arms dramatically (over acting, New York style) and smile if I get verbal abuse in return. Then I ring the Gardai.

I would love if ringing the guards worked but I've tried it twice and have got nowhere as a result.

One guard actually said that he knew how bad female motorists were, so obviously female cyclists were even worse. Waste of time in my experience, unless you personally know a guard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement