Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACA small/mid practice salaries

• 16-05-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering what the salary progression is for ACA trainees in practice from year one onwards (pre-qualification)?

Is it similar to acca students or less beacuase you are tied into a 3.5yr contract?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

The salary range for a trainee accountant is typically between €18K-25K. Obviously the bigger firms tend to pay more. I did interview with a small firm who paid €21K. You typically receive an annual raise when exams are passed. Also, many firms, at least the mid-tier on up, tend give bonuses for top performance on exams. I know with the bigger firms, I start my training with a big 4 in September, start all trainees with a Bachelors Degree at the same salary. They do pay those holding a Masters in Accounting about €1000 more. Not much of a difference. Also, there shouldn't be a difference in salary or pay increase based on the qualification you are pursuing. I would think it safe to assume that the salary increases would be similar as well. Many small-medium firms have trainees pursuing different qualifications. They don't differentiate when it comes to salary. You can always ask at the interview. I did. It will very firm to firm.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Thanks a million for the reply!

I was just curious. I may have an interview for a small firm in kimmage who want their trainees to pursue ACA (salary 25k). Fingers crossed I get it!

I also applied for a position in BDO (salary 23/24k)... have no idea if I'll get an interview (not the graduate programme per say but extra position and they want ACCA or CIMA) I rang the HR girl to explain my experience and my qualification (2.2 BSc physics) and she said they take applicants from all backgrounds wasnt at all detered by my degree result, she was really nice on the phone. The final decision for interview is made by the director for that particular section.

I think if I was really lucky to get both interviews and by some miracle got offered both (i'm seriously reaching for a miracle here!) I would probably take the BDO position as I dont think I like the idea of being tied into 3.5yr contract (although maybe BDO do this aswell...??)

Finger and toes crossed anyway. I'll know by the end of next week if I have the intereviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

The contracts aren't so bad. I heard BDO is a good firm. I got into a Big 4 with B.A. in English (3.1 GPA, which is between a 2.2 and 2.1). Getting the interview is the hardest part. Once you get there, it's all about the sales pitch.

Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hockeygirl,

I signed a contract w/ BDO last Decemeber to start this October. It's a 3.5 year ACA contract starting on 24.5k. I dunno if you'd be tied into a 3.5 year once becaause you're looking at ACCA or CIMA.

On the Kimmage firm, it's unusual to hear of a small firm paying so much. Alot of the people I went to college with who went to smaller firms are all around 18-22k. More so towards the lower range.

BDO is the one firm who really "spoke" to me. I got a great feel for the place while I was there at their presentation evenings and the interview process was awesome. I'm really looking forward to starting there.

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

I think your right about the salary it is prob more likely to be 20k to 25k but closer to the 20k end. I dont mind... you have to start off somewhere and I can live with a crap salary for 3yrs because once you've qualified the skys the limit!

Well.... I have an interview with the small firm tomorrow! Delighted as I have been trying for so long to get an interview somewhere for the last 2/3mths!

I have no idea what to expect from the interview.
    BDO should be issuing their offers for interview by friday or next monday/tuesday so I dont know yet if I have an interview with them. The role istnt the graduate programme though. Its specific to Coporate Recovery accounting and the training is ACCA.

Im will to do either ACCA or ACA. I registered with acca because my plan was if I dotnt get a role straight away I can start the exams myself whereas you need to be in a training contract to do aca

• Advertisement
Advertisement