Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange rate issue with refund

Options
  • 16-05-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Folks, have a quick question, hope I'm posting in the right place.

Last week I bought a dress on the internet (American website). The payment went through instantly to my credit card. Then the shop emailed me to tell me that the dress was out of stock and offered the same dress different colour. I said I'd prefer a refund and so they did. However by the time they credited my card back (5 days later) I lost €7 on the exchange rate difference. As a consumer where do I stand on this? Am I entitled to the money back (i think I am as they shouldn't have processed the payment before discovering the dress was out of stock) or is it just the risk you take with fluctuating exchange rates?
    I could understand if I was returning a garment I didn't like, but the fact that that's not the case I feel I am owed the money. I know it's only €7 but it could have been more i spose..

thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its the risk you take. Its not the stores fault, they refunded you in full. It could have worked in your favour had the fluctuation gone the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

There is nothing you can do as far as i know, that's all your money is worth on the international excahnge now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Folks, have a quick question, hope I'm posting in the right place.

Last week I bought a dress on the internet (American website). The payment went through instantly to my credit card. Then the shop emailed me to tell me that the dress was out of stock and offered the same dress different colour. I said I'd prefer a refund and so they did. However by the time they credited my card back (5 days later) I lost €7 on the exchange rate difference. As a consumer where do I stand on this? Am I entitled to the money back (i think I am as they shouldn't have processed the payment before discovering the dress was out of stock) or is it just the risk you take with fluctuating exchange rates?
    I could understand if I was returning a garment I didn't like, but the fact that that's not the case I feel I am owed the money. I know it's only €7 but it could have been more i spose..

thanks for reading :)

They gave back what you gave them. The exchange rate is the exchange rate, nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

thanks for the replies folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I had similar problem with Pixmania (GBP in ebay shop) paid with Paypal, as Parcel force lost the parcel they sent me a refund but lost about €20 on exchange rates, I contacted I think it was paypal as Pixmania did not do a refund they use "Send money" and ebay uses their own exchange rate, my argument was that checking in xe.com on the day I send the money and when the money was refunded they should only be a couple of Eur off not €20after a couple of e-mails ebay agreed to give me the refund of the €20 I didn't they were going to give it back to me.

Maybe do the same check the exchange rate when you send the money and you got it back and if there's a big gap contact you credit card.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

nava wrote: »
    Maybe do the same check the exchange rate when you send the money and you got it back and if there's a big gap contact you credit card.

Regards

That really won't do anything in this case though. The credit card operator will have handled the refund and the exchange rate. They won't be able or willing to do anything about the fluctuation in the international currency market.

In your case, the difference was probably mainly due to Paypal fees, since Pixmania didn't do an actual refund.

Advertisement