Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High performance car insurance

Options
  • 16-05-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Can't believe insurance companies are refusing to quote me...

I currently drive a '99 1.4 astra and want to upgrade to a '04 integra type r. Haven't even been quoted successfully yet. i have my license about 4 years, with no claims... 3 years as a named driver and half a year on my own... I am 23 so i know that plays a factor.

I don't want to get into a debate about the ethics of insurance companies...

I just want to know:

Anyone else drive an impreza, integra, 200sx, silvia, skyline, etc?
    how much do you guys pay for insurance and who are you with?

guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Have you tried Quinn? They'll take on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'll second that i'm with quinn since i start drivin at 18 i'm 22 now and when i was 20 i got a wrx impreza and the insurance was only 2800 i had my full licence but 7 penalty points aswell, i found it cheap compared to friends payin 3500 for insurance on a 1.4/6 car and i paid 3800 when i first start driving

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i'm 24 , full licence 4 years, 3 years ncb and i'm paying 1300 fully comp on a 99 dc2 integra type r

the problem is you have no claims bonus under your own name, without atleast 2 years ncb you haven't a hope, quinn have stopped insuring performance cars unless your over 30 as have most other companies, you have to ask to talk to a manager and they will quote you but with no ncb expect it to be >5k

^^^
    thats not true if ur with quinn and buy a car they have to insure ya, i couldnt get a quote until i showed them the proof of ownership and he has 3 years as a named driver, quinn give a discount for that, they will insure ya as long as ya have a full licence, i know a lad who's 18 and has a type r civic with quinn in his own name and it's properly insured

guil07 wrote: »
    ^^^
    thats not true if ur with quinn and buy a car they have to insure ya, i couldnt get a quote until i showed them the proof of ownership and he has 3 years as a named driver, quinn give a discount for that, they will insure ya as long as ya have a full licence, i know a lad who's 18 and has a type r civic with quinn in his own name and it's properly insured

i have 4 years named discount recognised by quinn but its not even worth one year under my own name.

quinn dont have to insure you if your with them and you buy a new car and show proof of ownership, its just that they do if they dont want to lose your custom, theres no law saying they have to insure you.

the only legal way to go about it is to ask for a quote from quinn first, get refused, go to 3 other companies, get refused, keep proof of the refusals go back to quinn with the proof and then the legally have to quote you.

i'm not saying it cant be done just that you have to be prepared to hassle and fight your way through nonsense and even then it might not be cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ldusoswa

Yeah, funny story:

I'm with quinn on my own name since december payin only 660 quid for my astra 1.4 16v. Now, i rang quinn this morning saying that i was about to buy a 04 integra type R and they refused to quote me seeing as i didn't own the car. but they COULD quote me if i owned the feckin thing... That's nonsense because they should give me a quote... Especially seeing as i'm in talks with the owner of the car to buy it...

If i legally HAVE TO be insured, then any insurance company should HAVE TO quote me...

ldusoswa wrote: »
    Yeah, funny story:

I'm with quinn on my own name since december payin only 660 quid for my astra 1.4 16v. Now, i rang quinn this morning saying that i was about to buy a 04 integra type R and they refused to quote me seeing as i didn't own the car. but they COULD quote me if i owned the feckin thing... That's nonsense because they should give me a quote... Especially seeing as i'm in talks with the owner of the car to buy it...

If i legally HAVE TO be insured, then any insurance company should HAVE TO quote me...

insurance is a risk based calculation, if the risk is too big insuring it doesn't make sense, i agree the system here is a joke, we should have something like in australia where you can get basic insurance through the goverment and then go to an insurance company if you want better cover.

if you want to get a quote before you buy the car then, do the refusal method i mentioned above and when contacting quinn mention that you have been in contact with the IIF or else just buy the car and hope the quote they give you is reasonable, just be aware they are not obliged by law to quote you simply because you bought the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

^^^

They don't have to but they usually will insure you. When it comes round to your renewal though they may refuse to insure you.

@the OP - You have 0 years NCB in your own name, thats whats killing ye. Try XS direct, they'll give ye a good quote. Keep in mind though that if ye put the car into a wall then your pretty much screwed with them, same as third party (without fire and theft) when ye think about it.
    draffodx wrote: »
    do the refusal method i mentioned above
    They will offer you something stuipid like 8k (im not exadurating) if you do this

i'd bet they insure u for about 1300-1600

Not really because you don't have to drive an ITR, like if I was 18 and bought a Ferrari its reasonable that insurance companies would tell me where to go, it would be my own fault for buying the car

• Advertisement

i'd bet they insure u for about 1300-1600

A 23 year old, full licence, 3 years named bonus, 0 NCB

On a black marked 220bhp K20 Integra Type R valued at around 20k I'd say probably more, its also goin to be an import

I'd say 3k minimum for a full years insurance

@colly10, yes if they still dont want to insure you then they will offer a ridicolous quote but mine suprised me as it was very reasonable

OMG i just got off the phone with Quinn...

They'll insure me for only €339 extra until march 09 on a 04 integra type r valued at 20k....

Problem is, the quote is only valid for today, and he said that if i don't buy it today they will simply refuse to insure me on it in future... :eek:

That's awful... they're putting too much pressure on me...

draffodx wrote: »
    I'd say 3k minimum for a full years insurance

He'll be doing very well if he gets it for that, im 25 and the cheapest quote i was offered on my own car was 7.5k (excluding XS direct)

like i said in my first post i was 20 granted i had 2 years no claims but i had 7 penalty points that they knew about, insured on a 250bhp impreza which was also an import, i got a quote for a mitsi fq340 worth 33k for 3700 off quinn when i had the scooby

colly10 wrote: »
    He'll be doing very well if he gets it for that, im 25 and the cheapest quote i was offered on my own car was 7.5k (excluding XS direct)

what do ya drive

what do ya drive

An RX7, i doubt that there'd be much difference in cost between that an a type R. Things seem to have worked out well for the OP though, @OP if ye like the car ye were looking at ye may as well buy it today.

they are alot rarer than teg type r, i'd say ur premium is high cos of that

they are alot rarer than teg type r, i'd say ur premium is high cos of that

if a car is more popular then it is likely to be more expensive to insure as it will have more recorded crashes, integra insurance is so high because of this, an rx7 is probably expensive to insurance because there more powerfull and capable of huge gains with upgrades
    OMG i just got off the phone with Quinn...

They'll insure me for only €339 extra until march 09 on a 04 integra type r valued at 20k....

Problem is, the quote is only valid for today, and he said that if i don't buy it today they will simply refuse to insure me on it in future... :eek:

That's awful... they're putting too much pressure on me...

any quote they give you has to be valid for atleast ten days(i think), contact the iff and inform themthat quinn has given you just one day to sort things out and they will offer you advice.

http://www.iif.ie/

afaik they only offer some policies on the day ya ring so dunno how legal it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Quinn arent all they are cracked up to be. When I bought my ep3 type r they pointblank refused to quote me (2 years ago, was 24 with 3 years NCB, full license).

The only company to quote me was Hibernian (because as they said, 'I was an existing customer'). And even at that, I could only get tpf&t. 2 years later, Im paying 1k tpf&t with Hibernian.

• Advertisement

bobmeaney wrote: »
    Quinn arent all they are cracked up to be. When I bought my ep3 type r they pointblank refused to quote me (2 years ago, was 24 with 3 years NCB, full license).

The only company to quote me was Hibernian (because as they said, 'I was an existing customer'). And even at that, I could only get tpf&t. 2 years later, Im paying 1k tpf&t with Hibernian.

that sounds a bit excessive, hibernian wouldn't quote me because i wasn't an existing customer but quinn eventually quoted me 1300 for the year on the dc2 fully comp, i'm 24, 3 years ncb, full licence 4 years

bobmeaney wrote: »

thats mad a friend is 26 payin 900 f/c with quin on a sti impreza

Cheers for all the replies guys...

must sort out the money... But first i must have a bit of a reality check, so i'm gonna go talk to my dad... I think i'm a little bit mad to be doing this...

But i'm getting the car at a great price so i dunno...

if ya really want it get it, i doubt quinn will put up ur premium at renewal, when i got the scooby it was the end of april and policy wasnt up till march and it went down 1000 at the renewal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fallon54

Although not high performance, Quinn insured me on a 2000 celica 190BHP for €2700 euro 3rd part, being 17 at the time didnt help.. Although they wont insure my mate on an audi TT quattro, same age he's now going down the refusal letter road with the IFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

I drive a Volvo 850 T5, insured with Quinn approx €500, includes windscreen cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Are you guys ringing the companies up directly? Why not try a broker like AA or someone. I went through AA and am payin 900 on a 1.8 turbo, happy enough with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 evo2er

Got a renewal quote today for 6,950 from Hibernian as a named driver for a 94 Evo II. Iv 6 points but no claims and full licence and have the been insured with them for the last year. It was only 1,800 for it last year and that was with a provisional. I actually taught they made a mistake with the quote, but to my amasement and shock it was right.

Oh man that's awful... damn.... Try Quinn man...

• Advertisement

evo2er wrote: »
    Got a renewal quote today for 6,950 from Hibernian as a named driver for a 94 Evo II. Iv 6 points but no claims and full licence and have the been insured with them for the last year. It was only 1,800 for it last year and that was with a provisional. I actually taught they made a mistake with the quote, but to my amasement and shock it was right.

ridicolous, did you ask to speak to a manager?

Advertisement