Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobby bitch!

Options
  • 16-05-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys, I am really mad about this - basically at the moment I'm working as a switchboard operator and this woman who also works here's daughter is on work experience with us.. she came over to collect her daughter for lunch a few mins ago, and she was asking us how she was getting on and stuff, so i was like "ah she's great, there's a career in switch for her yet!" and she laughed and said "i don't think so." Now that mightn't sound too bad, but it was the way she said it - it implied "my precious daughter doing a lower-class job like THAT? No way." I was too stunned to say anything. The effin rudeness of her like, and all she is a bloody part-time office administrator! I'm so mad right nowwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

This is probably one of the most trivial and frivolous posts Ive seen on boards. Thread should be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah well I'm sorry if it seems trivial to you, but it really riled me up and I just wanted to vent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its so very lower class to post about people being snobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Total overreaction.

And then at the end of your post you look down at her administration role so you're no better "and all she is"

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Get over it and answer the bloody phone!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

That's very rude, but is it snobbery? I don't think so. I think it just means she thinks it's a ****ty job and she expects her daughter to aim higher than that.

It's very rude though.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

dublindude wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think it just means she thinks it's a ****ty job and she expects her daughter to aim higher than that.

LOL say it as it is why dont you!! :D:D:D Dont hold back!!

DubArk wrote: »
    LOL say it as it is why dont you!! :D:D:D Dont hold back!!

I didn't mean any offence... just putting things in perspective! :pac:

dublindude wrote: »
    I didn't mean any offence... just putting things in perspective! :pac:

Oh you're right *sighs* I know it's not the best job in the world, and I definitely don't intend on doin it for much longer, but to actually SAY it like she did? No cop-on whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well, would you like your daughter to be a switchboard operator? True, she shouldn't have said that though.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Well, would you like your daughter to be a switchboard operator?

What kind of question is that? As long as my daughter has her health and happiness, that's all that matters to me - whether she's a cleaner or a bank manager is irrelevant.

micmclo wrote: »
    Total overreaction.

And then at the end of your post you look down at her administration role so you're no better "and all she is"

What I meant by that is her own role isn't a million miles away from my own. I do the switch but I also do a bit of admin work too. Comprende?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fuming wrote: »
    What kind of question is that? As long as my daughter has her health and happiness, that's all that matters to me - whether she's a cleaner or a bank manager is irrelevant.

Well I guess I would be disappointed at her lack of ambition after putting her through 14-18+ years of schooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

For what it's worth "Fuming", I agree, I think that's a very snobby and rude thing to say.

Nobody is claiming it's the best job in the world, but then not many people love what they do. This doesn't mean her daughter is "too good" for a job like that, everybody works various jobs in their lives, some start off great and plain sailing all the way, others do their time in jobs they aren't mad about and wait for the breaks.

I'd never look down on anybody for the job that they do and I'd imagine her looking down on the job like that made you feel small, which isn't a nice thing to do, so you've every right to be p*ssed off and vent..obviously let it go after though as it may not have been intended the way it made you feel.

Is it snobbery, or does the mother just think her daughter should be aiming higher?

I don't think there's anything wrong with being ambitious...

She's still a rude bitch though!

This thread has reminded me of this story:

I was going out with a nurse. I remember her and her friends giving out about a Dentist (or rather, a final year dental student) because he wanted to do a post graduate course after he got his dental qualification. They thought he was being so snobby...

I remember thinking, "wtf is snobby about wanting a good education or being ambitious?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

its not the same as the dentist story however as he didn't tell them that their job as nurses wasn't good enough.

it was rude but more then likely it was a instant reaction and she's probably at home now kicking herself. tbh i can't blame her for wanting better for her daughter but she should have kept her mouth shut.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think overreacting a bit,but she sounds like a roight biatch alrite :pac:.

Advertisement