Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDF too big!

Options
  • 16-05-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've a few PDF's to uplaod to a clients site - problem being they are HUGE in size - one a whopping 35meg! It's a simple 2 page PDF (graphics a plenty!) It should be relatively small but I think the guy used bitmaps for his images!

Is there any way to reduce the filesize of these files?!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

If you have editable access to the PDF, copy the images from it, into a photo editing program, save them as a different format and replace in the PDF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Mirror wrote: »
    If you have editable access to the PDF, copy the images from it, into a photo editing program, save them as a different format and replace in the PDF?

Good idea - Mirror - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

when I'm stuck with resizing pdfs quickly where I don't have original access, this my down and (very) dirty approach.
    It needs open open office writer or similar as it can save in pdf!

Open up the pdf as normal, zoom the first page to the appropriate size.
    press print screen ;)
    open up the print screen in paint or other photo editor
    save as a jpeg somewhere
    open up open office writer
    insert the picture (remove/maximise the page borders as you don't need them) or change the page size the match the image
    save as pdf :)

I can be more detailed if you want

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

ianhobo wrote: »
    when I'm stuck with resizing pdfs quickly where I don't have original access, this my down and (very) dirty approach.
    It needs open open office writer or similar as it can save in pdf!

Open up the pdf as normal, zoom the first page to the appropriate size.
    press print screen ;)
    open up the print screen in paint or other photo editor
    save as a jpeg somewhere
    open up open office writer
    insert the picture (remove/maximise the page borders as you don't need them) or change the page size the match the image
    save as pdf :)

I can be more detailed if you want

hope that helps
    But that negates any interactivity within the pdf, as each page is then simply an image, so any text or links would be useless... it would work, but serious emphasis on the "dirty" approach!

Oops!

I've just seem my problem -

The origional files were actually FINE! about a meg or two each...

The client asked me to add his contact info to them (obviously with the full permission of the client)

I opened the PDF in illustrator - I did get a warning message that some fonts would have to be repalced with friendly ones as my system didn't have the origionals.

I changed the contact info and saved - the file size then JUMPED through the roof!

...any ideas? when I save i do select the 'web friendly comression' setting!

Thanks - and sorry for the confusion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

yep, exactly.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was for interactive pdfs :)
    A lot of the pdfs I work with are simple documents or brochures where this is acceptable as a "fix"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Mirror wrote: »

Thats a timewasting idea, all you need to do is get it into acrobat pro if you have it (presumably you do if you have illustrator), and run pdf optimiser to set the dpi lower.

heggie wrote: »
    Thats a timewasting idea, all you need to do is get it into acrobat pro if you have it (presumably you do if you have illustrator), and run pdf optimiser to set the dpi lower.

Hey heggie - I've Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional alright, but when I can't edit text in Acrobat?! I can select text alright, but it won't let me edit like illustrator?!

EDIT - I've just noticed that when I click on Adobe Acrobat 7.0 - Reader 7 opens?!

...bloody hell! I thought this would be mickey mouse a task!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

you cant edit text too well as it usually breaks up when a pdf is made, something like pitstop pro (a plugin) would allow you to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Have you Photoshop?

Open the pdf and save with compression

• Advertisement

Good God - figured it out finally!

The export feature in illustrator has a "web safe" option, I had one setting for web selected, but not the second, hey presto! - works! File sizes down to a minimum.

I would have thought it was minutes work, just goes to show...

Thanks so much everyone for the assistance - Appreciate it

(Feel a bit of a dope now!)

Cheers :)

Advertisement