Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency - Bird Fell Out Of Tree

• 16-05-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I just noticed a magpie chick that has fallen out of its nest in a tree in my back garden. It looks injured and I am not exactly sure what to do about it.

I've left a message with the local ISPCA but I'm afraid if it doesn't get help soon it will die.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This has already been posted and answered elsewhere.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055295106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I just noticed a magpie chick that has fallen out of its nest in a tree in my back garden. It looks injured and I am not exactly sure what to do about it.

I've left a message with the local ISPCA but I'm afraid if it doesn't get help soon it will die.

i would leave well enough alone. if that magpie survives it will prob result in the death of 10 songbrids or more in the longrun. the county is plagued with them already. they are vermin.

stevoman wrote: »
    i would leave well enough alone. if that magpie survives it will prob result in the death of 10 songbrids or more in the longrun. the county is plagued with them already. they are vermin.

At the risk of repeating myself from another thread.

Stevoman,
    I don't want to drag this off topic and get in to the old Magpie debate, but I would suggest you have a read at some of the RSPB and BTO research papers on the correlation between Magpie and Songbird populations. Not all are available on-line but if you contact them they may sent them out to you. It's interesting reading and I found it changed my views, as I too had thought Magpies should be wiped off the planet for the sake of our other bird species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

maybe putting it back in the nest would be prudent, dont you think?
    bottom line is your interfering with mother nature, these casualties are normal in the bird world:confused:

You'd be some climber to put a Magpie back in most of their nests, as they are not only very high up, but usually on light boughs. I would stongly recommend that people do not attempt to climb up to such nests as it's extremely unsafe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You'd be some climber to put a Magpie back in most of their nests, as they are not only very high up, but usually on light boughs. I would stongly recommend that people do not attempt to climb up to such nests as it's extremely unsafe!
    Not necessarily, he could always hire one of these. :D

genie_group.jpg

Advertisement