Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drop Out Rates in DCU

• 16-05-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some statistics on drop out rates in DCU? Also out of interest what do people here think are the reasons behind why people might drop out. Any opinions would be great as I am writing a policy paper about it and I want to get a wide range of opinions before starting

cheers

eric

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Im glad you asked that Bob...

According to the Central Statistics OfficeLink Here, the drop out rate in DCU is approximetly 143%.

The most popular reasons for dropping out are as follows.

1. Fear of ending up as a typical Redbrick user
    2. Conscription
    3. Famine
    4. Better job prospects(The Dole)
    5. Starting bands.
    6. Dislike of Foreigners.
    7. Never actually registering(DCU are notorious for registering dead people to increase their Government grants)

Glad to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Anarking wrote: »
    the drop out rate in DCU is approximetly 143%.

Seems a bit high no?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

wahlrab wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I might be able to get some statistics on drop out rates in DCU? Also out of interest what do people here think are the reasons behind why people might drop out. Any opinions would be great as I am writing a policy paper about it and I want to get a wide range of opinions before starting

cheers

eric

I can't speak for other courses, but for CA, a huge amount of people are scared away by the amount of maths (and the first year maths lecturer is a disaster). There's also an element of people going "ah! Computers! I can write a letter with MS Word! I can do that!" while reading the prospectus, without having a clue what programming's about, and then being scared off when they see what it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

andrew163 wrote: »
    I can't speak for other courses, but for CA, a huge amount of people are scared away by the amount of maths (and the first year maths lecturer is a disaster). There's also an element of people going "ah! Computers! I can write a letter with MS Word! I can do that!" while reading the prospectus, without having a clue what programming's about, and then being scared off when they see what it actually is.

and the extremly low points requirement...

the drop out rate wasnt nearly as high when the course was 400+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Any figures to back that up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

we will ge anarking on the case igy :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tedstriker

and the extremly low points requirement...

the drop out rate wasnt nearly as high when the course was 400+

I'm a CA graduate. In my first year the points were 400 or so and about 50% or more dropped out.

I think the reasons for such a high drop out rate are to do with many things. The first thing is that people aren't able for the course. It's tough. I also think that there is a lack of support for students who struggle. There is no support really so they fail a few exams and then fail repeats and then drop out rather than repeat a year. It also has to be said that some of the lecturers aren't fantastic and in some cases they are terrible. That said, some lecturer are very good and the course itself is good if you can work through it. The first year is tough and so is the second but once you get to year 3 then you should be plain sailing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

hehe. studying for my final exam in Electronic engineering.
    I will never forget the first maths class.

At least 5 people dropped out after that class alone.
    Remember loads of people around me saying ..."fook that im changing course".

Points for the course was 400+C in hon maths + science subject when i started.

Down to 320 with hon maths but no science requirement now, which is a sin.

People usually dont enter this course not knowing about the level of maths required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Started CA in er, 2002 I think?
    300 in first year. 150 in second year I think. 87 or so graduated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

I wonder does CA have the highest drop out rate in the college?

Tedstriker, do you think the support services are not there or else is it a matter of people not availing of the existing ones? ie too shy to ask for help?

cheers for all the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

wahlrab wrote: »
    I wonder does CA have the highest drop out rate in the college?

Tedstriker, do you think the support services are not there or else is it a matter of people not availing of the existing ones? ie too shy to ask for help?

cheers for all the replies
    I think it's the latter.

Igy wrote: »
    Any figures to back that up?

just going off anecdotal evidence from previous graduates, its hard to get drop out rate figures for individual courses

Trinity, UCC and UCD all have slightly lower drop out rates than DCU with DIT, GMIT, CorkIT, WIT, NUI Maynooth having higher drop out rates

i think NUI Galway and Dun laoghaire have the lowest drop out rates in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

DCU don't publish "drop out rates" because the party line is that they're the only university to allow/have lenient course transfer rates, which gives skewed figures.

However from meetings I've attended with the director of student affairs, drop out rates are pretty high and they're actively working on student retention.

rugbug86 wrote: »
    DCU don't publish "drop out rates" because the party line is that they're the only university to allow/have lenient course transfer rates, which gives skewed figures.

However from meetings I've attended with the director of student affairs, drop out rates are pretty high and they're actively working on student retention.

well, they do release drop out figures under the guise of a "completion rate" percentage
    wahlrab wrote:
    Does anyone know where I might be able to get some statistics on drop out rates in DCU?

well, you could email the registry asking them to point you in the right direction. if you find that they are a being uncooperative, try putting in a Freedom of Information request - DCU is still considered a public body. that way they are legally required to respond to your request, whether it be to approve it or deny it.

more info..

http://www.dcu.ie/foi/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

It was published in the Irish Times last year so there's no problem telling people. It's officially 22%. However that includes those who transfer courses, so they're actually not "dropping out" of DCU.

so the overall completion rate for DCU is at 82%

STI051RZ301_214433a.gif

Advertisement