Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of Proper Shoes

Options
  • 16-05-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am relatively new to cycling. I commute in and out everyday around 18km each way and it usually takes me around 35-40 mins. I would say that I am quite strong for a starter as I pass out alot of fellow commuters on my way in. Currently I just wear my runners and strap my feet in. Is there much of a benefit to purchasing a proper pair of shoes and pedals?

Can anyone recommend a good pair that will not break the bank also....

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Proper cycling shoes have stiff soles that better help transfer power between your legs and the pedal. They have holes in the soles that allow you to attach cleats that you use in conjunction with clipless pedals, so you'll be shelling out for new pedals as well as shoes. They're easier to get in and out of than toe straps. Having said all that, your commute is fairly short and if that's the only cycling you're doing it might be a bit of overkill for a half hour spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I switched to cleats for my proper cycling, but since I have only one bike it means I wear cleats on my short commute.

Pain in the behind!

They are awkward to walk in (I have SPD-SLs) so most times I am walking around in socks.

I now have to carry a pair of shoes with me when I cycle.

The stop-start nature of commuting makes them a bit annoying.

I don't get much of the benefit on a short trip, only comes in handy on longer cycles.

If you are doing events like wicklow 200, mount leinster, etc. Then get them. However if you are just a commuter, and it is a short trip, straps are more than sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Get SPDs (not SPD-SLs which are road racing shoes). 18km is a monster commute and you will benefit majorly. SPD have a walkable sole, I have used for a long time the Specialized Sonoma shoes which are cheap (around £40 from the UK), look half-normal and fit me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

For my 9 mile each way commute I use by Specialized Sport MTB shoes with SPD cleats. I can easily walk in the shoes. I've gone shopping in the Blanchardstown Centre and town with them.

I did a short duathlon (Phoenix Park last Tuesday) with toe clips/straps and find the SPDs considerably better, more secure.

I leave a pair of crappy shoes in the office.
    I don't remember how to cycle "normal" pedals.

Advertisement