Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal for Maxwell McNamara's

Options
  • 16-05-2008 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Seeing as I'm on a bit of a heritage buzz today....

Heard last week that the owners of what was Maxwell McNamara's on the corner of Eglinton/Williamsgate St are proposing to replace the restaurant with a.....wait for it.....CENTRA!

Now I made my feelings clear on the standard of shopping in Galway before, esp on the standard of men's clothes available, but does anyone else think this is a bit f*&kin ridiculous. I have heard of the dumb-bell theory of retailing with two anchors stores at either end of a shopping precinct, well in Galway we now have Spar at the end of Mainguard St and (yippee :( ) a Centra at the other end. Sums up my point of the town being sh*t for shopping.

PS would recommend Athlone, got myself a lovely new suit in Zara there last week...:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

It's such a nice location and frontage to waste on a Centra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

forgot to say that BT's must be ecstatic! Pop in for a Louis Vuitton purse and then over for the breakfast roll....

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

There's no money in retail any more and plenty to be made in the corner shop industry. Its all about who's willing to pay the most rent, not who can provide you with a nice pair of jeans.

Personally, I'd prefer a nice retail unit but that's not how a free market works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Is that true? Theyre putting in a Centra? That's terrible..can anything be done?!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

....A CENTRA!!!!....Thats soooo dissapointing,i was really hopin they'd put somethin unique like a Meteor,O2 or Vodafone shop there.....ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Very Dissapointing, but nothing anyone can do about it bar someone else offering a higher bid to rent the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

That new Centra is going to be operated by the same guy who owns Cuba and the Cellar. He also has other Centras around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Seeing as I'm on a bit of a heritage buzz today....

Heard last week that the owners of what was Maxwell McNamara's on the corner of Eglinton/Williamsgate St are proposing to replace the restaurant with a.....wait for it.....CENTRA!
    Kerist, that's another horrible idea! :(

Nor is there any need for it ... two Dunnes and Roches within a hundred yards; Spar as mentioned on Mainguard Street and a Centra (or similar) on Forster Street, another (can't remember brand) on Eyre Square ... and the last three all open late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

There should be a law banning franchises opening up within 1 mile of each other.

If it went ahead, you would have the 2 centras within 5 mins of each other, not to mention the ones mentioned by randylonghorn. Lets not forget the other small corner shops, O'briens on shop st and the other shop on the corner of eglinton

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

PS would recommend Athlone, got myself a lovely new suit in Zara there last week...:D

Damn, you're either really tall or really skinny if you can get clothes to fit you in there......

• Advertisement
Advertisement