Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing BB connection when I recieve a phone call

Options
  • 16-05-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I have been with BT for nearly a year now. I have just started getting into online gaming in a big way so my issue is a right bugger.

Anyway, whenever I recieve a phone call I lose my internet connection.
    I lose it on my xbox360 (which I use for my gaming), my Mac and also on the family PC only for the duration of the phone call. Within seconds of the phone call ending everything returns to normal.

Here's my setup. There are two phones in the house. One in the kitchen and one in my office. My BB router is connected to the phone line in my office. My Mac is connected to the router wirelessly and both my PC and my xbox360 are hardwired into the router.

As I understand it I think I need to install a "splitter" but not really sure of how to go about this.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help

Enda

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Here's my setup. There are two phones in the house. One in the kitchen and one in my office. My BB router is connected to the phone line in my office. My Mac is connected to the router wirelessly and both my PC and my xbox360 are hardwired into the router.

You don't mention the filters at any point, you do have them don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

my da had the same problem a few years ago there was just a splitter from the socket and the bb and phone plugged into that, there needs to be a filter on all sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Spear wrote: »
    You don't mention the filters at any point, you do have them don't you?

No filters at all, I was totally unaware I had use them.

Is that where I am going wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

yes, you need a filter.

There should be one in the box you got with the modem - failing that ring your ISP or buy one in Maplin/PC world etc - only a few euro

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No filters at all, I was totally unaware I had use them.

Is that where I am going wrong??

You must use filters. The ADSL traffic is on different frequency ranges from the normal phone, so when a call comes in, the noise from the phone spills over into the other frequences and your router loses line sync. You should have received filters from your ISP with your modem. If not they can be gotten in any computer place, even Argos last I remember.

• Advertisement

even some diy shops have them woodies do and so do 4home superstore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

@Spear, crawler and guil07

Lads thanks very much for the advice, I'll be making my way to PC World in the morning.

Once again thanks, have a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

don't forget sky box and monitored alarm.

who said anythin bout sky or a monitored alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

guil07 wrote: »

Obviously he just mentioned because its easy to forget about things like a sky box needing one.

• Advertisement

the op never said its connected did he, its not a neccessity to have the sky box connected to a phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

yes, for sky+ multiroom.

did he say he has sky+ or multiroom?????? NO

the op never said its connected did he, its not a neccessity to have the sky box connected to a phone line
    As a former sky installer, I can tell you right now that it is procedure to connect to phoneline. The fact is it was only mentioned in passing not to forget about it if he had one because its not something you would immediately think of in the same way as a phone. Guil07 you seem to be just looking for an argument.

i'm not lookin for an argument i'm just sayin that if he has sky and its connected to the phone i'm sure he'd say so and i know it's better to have sky connected to the phone but just sayin ya dont have to

i'm not lookin for an argument i'm just sayin that if he has sky and its connected to the phone i'm sure he'd say so and i know it's better to have sky connected to the phone but just sayin ya dont have to
    If a sky installer has done his job right it would barely be noticeable that it was connected to the phoneline, "out of sight, out of mind". Hence why stanley1 kindly mentioned it to the original poster not to forget about it if he had one.
    For new sky installations its actually required to have the phoneline connected and sky will sometimes contact you if your sky box is not connected to the phoneline.

look i'm not tryin to argue but he would still see the wire goin into the socket and i only recently got sky in a new house and didnt have to connect it

look i'm not tryin to argue but he would still see the wire goin into the socket and i only recently got sky in a new house and didnt have to connect it
    Well then why did you make such a big deal about somebody mentioning not to forgot about a sky box if they had it? Seems like you just wanted to start an argument with someone who was being quite thoughtful.

no i didnt just let this be the end of it

no i didnt just let this be the end of it
    This isn't making a big deal over something?
    and this?
    did he say he has sky+ or multiroom?????? NO

You completely missed the point of the original and helpful point that was made by stanley1 in your pursuit of an argument. That is all I'll be saying on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 johntheboardsie

The best solution is to install a faceplate splitter, which handles the filtering out of all your phone extensions and your monitored alarm system and your Sky box connection. You would have to know what you are doing but there is a good instruction at http://adsl.yesyes.info/modules/edito/content.php?id=1 and another at http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm. On the latter site it says "UK only" but it is valid for Ireland - just be careful if you purchase any cables that you order RJ11 connectors and not the connector that is known as a "BT connector" and is unique to UK. Essentially what a faceplate splitter does is to filter out the DSL frequencies at the first point that the phone line enters your house. You then need to run a long RJ11 cable from the front of the faceplate splitter to your ADSL modem. The result is that you can get no interference between phones or alarm systems or Sky and your ADSL signal and you do not need filters/splitters on each individual phone extension or alarm system or Sky. Note that by filtering out the DSL frequencies you cannot use any of the sockets for DSL, so the only DSL connection you will have is the LAN port out of your DSL modem. If you need DSL at more than one point then either use a wireless router or use a broadband-over-powerline modem such as http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1434312, note that you need 1 of these connected to your ADSL modem and one for each PC connected remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hi, I too have been having heart ache with this being knocked off linewhen the phone rings. I tried using the filters. When I dont have any filters in I have a perfect DSL signal. But when i use the filters I cannot get any DSL signal at all. When I use one filter, the DSL light flickers but doesnt stay on. Any ideas?

thehamo wrote: »
    Hi, I too have been having heart ache with this being knocked off linewhen the phone rings. I tried using the filters. When I dont have any filters in I have a perfect DSL signal. But when i use the filters I cannot get any DSL signal at all. When I use one filter, the DSL light flickers but doesnt stay on. Any ideas?

Sounds like the filters broken.

Advertisement