Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else think Dublin is a s*it hole ?

Options
  • 16-05-2008 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

Was back in Ireland and flew into Dublin airport.

Was disgusted seeing the skyline and the amount of cranes/construction. Its clearly obvious that the government are pumping all of our money into the capital and couldn't give a toss about the other cities (Cork being one) even though everyone in cork pays tax too ffs !

Whats yere views ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dublin is the economic heart of the country, the development is essential if the economy is to continue thriving ( even though we are in a bit of a slump). its also the capital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

dublin is the economic heart of the country, the development is essential if the economy is to continue thriving ( even though we are in a bit of a slump). its also the capital

Fair point, but you cant survive on investing on one area alone. With the state of the infrastructure at the moment its heading for meltdown imo.

I lived in Dublin for a year as well. Didn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

its also the capital

Yeah, but it's not the real capital, like...

I'm so sorry, but it had to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Dublin is grand, got better/more shops than Cork, but i wouldn't say it's a dive and i wouldn't say it's class... It's just grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Dublins great, it has stuff, Cork is great too, but it just aint as big.(its better then the other small cities, except maybe Galway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Think dublin has brilliant giggs but would really only go up for the odd match. Londons as easy and cheap to get to and is far better. Find dublin is a smallish city but with all the bad points of a city far bigger then it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

craichoe wrote: »
    Was back in Ireland and flew into Dublin airport.

Was disgusted seeing the skyline and the amount of cranes/construction. Its clearly obvious that the government are pumping all of our money into the capital and couldn't give a toss about the other cities (Cork being one) even though everyone in cork pays tax too ffs !

Whats yere views ?

yea right you are sonny boy, its the government paying for all the building in dublin, every one of those buildings down the docklands is going to be a new government department.

eejit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dublin has all the disadvantages of a major capitol with none of the advantages.
    Dont know why people move there to work. Go to London FFS. Sure it has hastles but sooooo much to do there every day!! You can get back to cork cheaper and quicker too aswell then from Dublin. Scary but true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

jank wrote: »
    Dublin has all the disadvantages of a major capitol with none of the advantages.
    Dont know why people move there to work. Go to London FFS. Sure it has hastles but sooooo much to do there every day!! You can get back to cork cheaper and quicker too aswell then from Dublin. Scary but true!

so suprising seeing anti-dublin rubbish on a cork city thread. im outty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Why am I not surprised this is in the Cork forums? Tis as predictable as finding a surprise inside a Kinder Egg. : oldrolleyes :

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm the opposite. Although not from either city, I lived in Dublin for 7 years before relocating to Cork a year ago. I'm finding the adjustment very difficult. I miss the facilities (particularly the national concert hall and 50m swimming pools), I miss the public transport, I miss the range of restaurants, I miss the choice of jobs (I'm stuck in a job I hate because there are no more in my area in Cork).

I think it's all realted to the smallness of Cork.

I wouldnt say its anti dublin. I think what i said has a point. Dublin is supposed to be the captial yet what does it offer? Some sporting events, concerts and eh some jobs?

I think my point about London (or any other capital in the EU), Is very valid. It would be one of the last place i would choose to live. Thats just me and i did live there for over a year.

LOL it reminds this reminds me liek critizing US forgien policy makes you and "anti american!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Was disgusted seeing the skyline and the amount of cranes/construction. Its clearly obvious that the government are pumping all of our money into the capital and couldn't give a toss about the other cities
    I wasn't aware the government were spending tax-payers money on construction in Dublin city...please enlighten me?

I like Cork City a lot. It reminds me of the way Dublin City used to be in the 1980's - friendly and quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

once you get over the Junkies, traffic & the €6 pints, its not all that bad of a place.

+1

It does seem to have more than it's fair share of problems for a city of it's size though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

portomar wrote: »
    yea right you are sonny boy, its the government paying for all the building in dublin, every one of those buildings down the docklands is going to be a new government department.

eejit

Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

+1

It does seem to have more than it's fair share of problems for a city of it's size though....

That it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Dublins great, it has stuff, Cork is great too, but it just aint as big.(its better then the other small cities, except maybe Galway.)
    Well its not exactly like were spoiled for choice when it comes to cities, basically your talking about limerick and waterford...

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well its not exactly like were spoiled for choice when it comes to cities, basically your talking about limerick and waterford...

Exactly;), anyhoo London FTW, when i do get my ass in gear its to their and not Baile Atha Cliath, London is where the party is at!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Exactly;), anyhoo London FTW, when i do get my ass in gear its to their and not Baile Atha Cliath, London is where the party is at!

Their what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The only thing really that sucks in Cork is our sh!t public transport system.

Considering that we have very little traffic compared to other cities, you'd think that BÉ would make an effort with trying to get people out of our cars?

The amount of litter on our streets never fails to amaze me, and disgust me either. I feel embarrassed to walk around the place some times. We really should try and make our city a bit tidier. The bits of chewing gum etc stuck on our recently revamped Pana, Grand Parade etc appal me.

Apart from that, I love the real capital.

As for living in Dublin, the only reason so many "culchies" live there is because it's the only place where you can get a good job in. Ironically I find that the Dubs are very pleasant to deal with when you're in a shop etc. I much prefer dealing with Dubs to Corkonians in that regard actually. There is absolutely nothing going for Dublin apart from that though, all the traffic, obscene prices, reg plate snobbery etc.

Hopefully when this country FINALLY gets a proper road and rail network as well as a proper broadband network we will see less pressure on Dublin and more balanced regional development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I wasn't aware the government were spending tax-payers money on construction in Dublin city...please enlighten me?

I like Cork City a lot. It reminds me of the way Dublin City used to be in the 1980's - friendly and quaint.

No, but they did:

A. Burden cork airport with a sh*t load of debt.
    B. Dump most of the money for infrastructure into Dublins infrastructure, The Luas for example, what a hunk of crap, its slow, ran way over budget and their tiny ! A alot of money spent on motorways (should be spent on getting the public transport up to European standards)
    C. Any money spent outside Dublin is spent on the roads TO Dublin.

For a capital city its an expensive embarrassment.

E92 is right though, all the culchies .. as were called, go there because alot of the jobs are there, not because its a wonderful place to live.

These days in Ireland, your options of where to work are in the following order:

1. Dublin.
    2. Some back arsed place in the middle of nowhere near Shannon.
    3. Cork.

1. Cork Airport was saddled with its debt because of a number of factors, the break up Aer Rianta, The DAA playing hard ball and FF playing dumb. Dont blame Dublin for the Airports debt blame our incompetent Government and stop voting for Spineless Government TDs! That Means not Voting For Michael Martin you idiots!

2.Dublin suffers from a public transport deficit, it doesnt get enough money

3. The reason why there is so many Motorways built to Dublin and shiny bypasses being built everywhere is that thanks to gombeen politics everywhere has to get its bit, again dont blame Dublin for that...

4. Capital cities are always expensive, compare London prices versus the rest of the UK

Dublin city centre is great, its horrible suburbs and commuter towns are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

What i couldnt understand about the airport debt issue was that they didnt just say fair enough about the debt but we want our share of the assets(duty free shops, hotels etc). Id disagree about dublins public transport problem as i dont think throwing more money is the answer. The Luas cost a ****load more then it should and the city has too much sprawl and not enough population density to support/warrant a proper underground. Whats more annoying is seeing the same mistakes being made in cork rather then learning from the mistakes made in dublin. Id like to see them putting in a cart now rather then waiting for it to cost ten times more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

For a capital city its an expensive embarrassment.
    No more or less expensive than Cork for a night out or the weekly shop. We tend to be all in the one boat in this country when it comes to being ripped-off. If you are just taking property prices into consideration, then fair enough.

E92 is right though, all the culchies .. as were called, go there because alot of the jobs are there, not because its a wonderful place to live.
    Fair enough, but you just come across as a whinger and begrudger if you go on about what Dublin has not compared to your area. If you want to make the point that Dublin is a s*ithole then you have to do so in the context of the argument and not just bang on about what is lacking in your area.

I don't think any other Irish city could have even began to cope with the expansion in the economy as well as Dublin did. Could you even begin to imagine what 200,000 people commuting in and out of Cork City on a daily basis would look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

No more or less expensive than Cork for a night out or the weekly shop. We tend to be all in the one boat in this country when it comes to being ripped-off. If you are just taking property prices into consideration, then fair enough.

Your having a laugh mate if you think going out in cork is as expensive as dublin.Drink for one thing is more expensive in dublin and so is the taxi ride home

Your having a laugh mate if you think going out in cork is as expensive as dublin.Drink for one thing is more expensive in dublin and so is the taxi ride home

Seconded.

Dublin is the pits when it comes to charging for a pint.
    Even a sandwich will set you back more and i dont mean 5 cent, i mean a euro if not more.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I live in Dublin (actually Kildare these days) and have been to Cork a couple of times yet never found the need to slag it at all. It's not like Cork doesn't have it's problems. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

jank wrote: »
    Seconded.

Dublin is the pits when it comes to charging for a pint.
    Even a sandwich will set you back more and i dont mean 5 cent, i mean a euro if not more.

And if Cork became the official capital there'd be no price hike? get real. It's the same for every country in europe if not the world, the capital is the most expensive city, partly because of more tourists, partly because of a bigger commuting population. C'est la vie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I want to be enlightened about how in London there is so much more to do.

Are you going to ride around all day on their ''excellent public transport''...maby go watch Arsenal one week, Chelsea the next.

Its called living for christ sake, you get what you put in.

Dublin is in a great location. Right by the beach(good weather is irrelevant)..lots of tourist attractions and improving infrastructure. Come back in 2012 and Dublin will be class.

Advertisement