Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else think Dublin is a s*it hole ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I want to be enlightened about how in London there is so much more to do.

Are you going to ride around all day on their ''excellent public transport''...maby go watch Arsenal one week, Chelsea the next.

Its called living for christ sake, you get what you put in.

Dublin is in a great location. Right by the beach(good weather is irrelevant)..lots of tourist attractions and improving infrastructure. Come back in 2012 and Dublin will be class.

Yes, their private overcharged public transport system is so much better than Dublins.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

As a Limerick boy living in Galway and a one-time Cork resident, I feel a ludicrous amount of neglect by the government for the west or a least the Galway-Cork corridor. When I graduated from UL in '97, Ed Walsh gave a great speech about these cities joining together themselves (he also included Waterford and Rosslare Port) in spite of the government and forming their own alliance to pressure for a proper motorway. I know Transport 21 is on stream now a decade later, but we also need rail right from Galway down to Rosslare and we need strong business linkages to provide a decent counterweight to Dublin. The way the country is going in recent times, we are in danger of tipping over into the Irish sea. The northern shenanigans seem to point towards a government desire to have a Dublin-Belfast corridor as the focal point for industrial developement on this island. The loss of SHN-LHR flights was a part of this I am convinced and must have been part of some under the table deal with the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

As a Corkman living in Dublin I have mixed feelings about this thread. I think it depends where you live, what area you work in, where your family live and a lot of other things. For me its all good - I live in a nice area, have a good job, have a wife and kid up here, some family, some friends, places to go and things to do if I want to.

It really depnds on those factors. If you live here and dont earn much, have few family or friends, go home every weekend etc you might as well be in Cork as least you will be happier.

As international cities go Cork is under provided in a lot of things that you have up here like a good scene for food, music, arts, dating, pubs/clubs, and most entertainment.

Saying all that most of the northside of dublin not on a coast is pretty grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No more or less expensive than Cork for a night out or the weekly shop. We tend to be all in the one boat in this country when it comes to being ripped-off. If you are just taking property prices into consideration, then fair enough.

You are having a laugh, it is alot more expensive than Cork, Pints, food, petrol, eating out, i lived in Dublin ffs. The only difference in Cork is people have to have a car to get to and from work, in alot of cases there is no other option. The south and west needs to be developed and have decent infrastructure. I came back to Ireland a few weeks ago and got to Dublin Airport, wanted to get to Kilkenny. What was there ? Some privately owned shi*ty bus driven by a nutcase. When i got back to Holland, trains running every 30 minutes from the Airport (and actually from the airport, the train station is underneath schiphol) to a train station, then on a tram that runs every 10 minutes to my front door.
    Fair enough, but you just come across as a whinger and begrudger if you go on about what Dublin has not compared to your area. If you want to make the point that Dublin is a s*ithole then you have to do so in the context of the argument and not just bang on about what is lacking in your area.

I don't live in Ireland, moved over to the Netherlands 7 months ago, i'm just drawing a comparison in General between this Dublin and the rest attitude the government takes and its blatently apparent when you come back and see it.

200,000 people commuting in and out
    You see, that to me SCREAMS problems, if its an increasing figure then you need to start developing infrastructure in other cities (no not more buses, bring back the trams, they had them in cork and they got rid of them for cars!) Invest now in places where its feasible to do so, its only going to get more and more expensive.

People in cork, galway, limerick, waterford and so on pay the same rate of tax, so i dont see what they shouldn't get the same rate of investment where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I agree with some aspects of your point OP. I'm currently living in Dublin, but grew up in Cork so I go in between the 2 cities every few months.

Yes, other cities in Ireland could do with more investment however in regards to Cork, IMO, the reasoning for the infrastructure being concentrated up here in Dublin is because the population is considerably higher in number that in Cork. If you have a look in Cork, there are developments taking place (or have taken place) - in regards to roadworks, we have South Link/East Link/Ballincollig bypass etc. In regards to buildings/streets, we have the Coal Quay being done up/Patricks Street and the docks by the Clarion/Mahon Point (it's not worth mentioning tbh, but it IS an investment for the Cork region) etc... Cork will always be home to me but unfortunately, the novelty of living there is non-existant due to the fact it lacks facilities for me personally.

I love living in Dublin as personally, I'm just a city girl and as a 21 year old, it has everything that caters for my needs. Yes, it is expensive but I have nothing to complain about as the pros outweigh the cons. I have a good job, living in a great atmosphere and I have made unreal friends up here. I think it's a personal choice whether Dublin is for you or not. I know alot of people who don't like Dublin which is fine but I think it is unfair to call Dublin a sh*thole just because it's (*fliches*) the capital and the government need to accommodate approx 25% of the Irish nation who live here.

• Advertisement

Aspiration wrote: »
    I agree with some aspects of your point OP. I'm currently living in Dublin, but grew up in Cork so I go in between the 2 cities every few months.

Yes, other cities in Ireland could do with more investment however in regards to Cork, IMO, the reasoning for the infrastructure being concentrated up here in Dublin is because the population is considerably higher in number that in Cork. If you have a look in Cork, there are developments taking place (or have taken place) - in regards to roadworks, we have South Link/East Link/Ballincollig bypass etc. In regards to buildings/streets, we have the Coal Quay being done up/Patricks Street and the docks by the Clarion/Mahon Point (it's not worth mentioning tbh, but it IS an investment for the Cork region) etc... Cork will always be home to me but unfortunately, the novelty of living there is non-existant due to the fact it lacks facilities for me personally.

I love living in Dublin as personally, I'm just a city girl and as a 21 year old, it has everything that caters for my needs. Yes, it is expensive but I have nothing to complain about as the pros outweigh the cons. I have a good job, living in a great atmosphere and I have made unreal friends up here. I think it's a personal choice whether Dublin is for you or not. I know alot of people who don't like Dublin which is fine but I think it is unfair to call Dublin a sh*thole just because it's (*fliches*) the capital and the government need to accommodate approx 25% of the Irish nation who live here.

Aye,

I get where your coming from, but this is it. People will not move someplace if there isnt a job, and a way to get to work. This won't happen if there isnt investment in Infrastructure in other places.

Other Countries have realised this and its why their revamping and pumping money into a number of Cities.

For example, in the Netherlands, their putting money into Rotterdam and the surrounding area via an Extensive light rail network thats costing billions. Not many people want to live in Rotterdam, but its quite easy to commute there from Den Haag, Utrecht even Amsterdam.

Its not that it costs the Dutch lest to build the public infrastructure, its just seen as vital to their economy and will only get more expensive in the future.

The same in Germany, their investing money into Dusseldorf which is a relatively small city to try and get people out of the more expensive areas such as Munich as building more infrastructure in an expensive area is not cost effective and the only long term solution is to promote the job creation and increase quality of life elsewhere.

Ireland, their just making more roads, putting money into the Luas, Dart, Dublin Bus.

Its conceivable to live in Bray and work in Dublin City Centre without a car, but its simply not possible to live in a suburb of cork city and rely on Bus Eireann to get you to work.

I swear, it'll get to a stage where Dublin is just one big car park, with people living in the commuter belt that will be Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I totally agree with you. Dublin will eventually become one huge car park, and unfortunately the government seem to be tackling the problem in the wrong way. It seems like they're after short term results as opposed to long term when it comes to Dublin infrastructure.

However, I can see why more and more people would choose to move to Dublin - it offers more in terms of jobs/education/places to enjoy yourself etc... Until cities like Cork have their "facilities" improved, people will continue to move out of Cork towards the capital, then the government will need to accommodate them etc. It's like a vicious circle.

I purely blame the government for not investing in other cities and again, and I don't think it's fair to call Dublin a sh*thole because of the governments decisions. Jebus, if I could I'd kill the idiot who decided to make the M50 2 lanes all those years ago instead of 3, and whoever designed the Red Cow. The government seemed to have jumped into the deep end all those years ago when we had the money to spend on roads like the M50 without sitting down and thinking it out properly. Now billions are being put back in when it should've been done correctly in the first place!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

portomar wrote: »
    yea right you are sonny boy, its the government paying for all the building in dublin, every one of those buildings down the docklands is going to be a new government department.

eejit

sorry but is there really a need to insult someone. ok you disagree but please don't insult someone like that, it's been the only thing that bugs me about boards. :mad: as far as dublin goes its fine but not as great as cork!! :D i could never live in dublin, only go for a weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

It's cheaper to invest in one highly populated area than it is to invest in many small ones.

One big power plant, one set of water and sewage pipes, one road network, one set of radio towers, etc. It costs much more to have many small ones.

Does that make it right?
    Probably not.
    But it's a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

yesterday it was announced that 425 million euro is to be made available for rural development, 3 TIMES THE AMOUNT THAT WAS MADE AVAILABLE UNDER THE PREVIOUS TAOISEACH BERTIE AHERN - A DUB!!!!!!!!

Cowan will take a much less dublin centric point of view in relation to national development - for way too long the drumcondra mafia ran this country from a dublin point of view only - well now there is a non dub in charge and straight away he prioritises rural development by multiplying by a factor of 3 the amount of money made available to rural development.

i know i should focus on the thread is dublin a crap place - of course it isn't - a place, much like life, is what you make it - there were/are plenty of communities abondoned by government over the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

In fairness dublin isn't a ****hole anymore. Over the last 20 years there has been a huge change in the capital from the docklands to the transport infrastructure, more tourists, etc.
    I think Corks people views of Dublin is coloured by our trips to croke park and thinking jesus what a ****hole it is around here but thats the past.:)
    The big problem with people from outside dublin and their views of the place is the amount of investment by the government in dublin over the last 30 years by both bertie and charlie (dublin men) through tax breaks (ifsc and dublin docklands development authority) and direct investment in transport projects (luas, dublin bus & port tunnel) and by the massive increase in civil service numbers located in Dublin. Its annoying that all this investment is concentrated in the one area and other areas are left swing for years or so it seems.
    About population, Corks current pop is 500,000 nearly half that of Dublin. We should be getting half the infrastructural spend but we don't. We should as second city get a significant number of civil servant jobs but we don't. That drives us mad. Dublin is now congested and geographically inhibited from expanding in all directions (Irish sea) so now the dublin lobby is promoting greater spending on infrastructure such as the underground, luas extensions, etc which are economically questionable for a city of 1.5 million(?).
    It is now time for Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford etc to expand but we can't due to government's obsession with looking after the Dublin vote and creating the so called Dublin-Belfast economic corridor.
    Time as another poster said for the western rail corridor and the western motorway so for once, all roads don't lead to Dublin. But we'll be waiting for years yet as the NRA and the RPA are really only concerned about road and rail access to Dublin. Time for the formation of a Regional Party!

I left Cork in my early 20's and came back near to 30. I have lived in Galway, Dublin, London & Sydney but Cork is an excellent city for its size and what I now want in life.

This PROC and Dublin is a ****hole nonsense has to stop and it is time for Cork people to concentrate on promoting what a great corner of the world we live in. We have some of the best restaraunts/food in Ireland, our nightlife is buzzing, within a 5 minute walk of pana we have at least 6 theatres, some of best festivals (jazz, film, midsummer), excellent concerts throughout the year, the best range of sporting activities and sportspeople in Ireland, some of the best academic institutions in Ireland, a really improved city centre and the best selection of job oppurtunities in Ireland outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

rebs23 wrote: »
    This PROC and Dublin is a ****hole nonsense has to stop and it is time for Cork people to concentrate on promoting what a great corner of the world we live in.
    Very true. I find most Cork people very elitist and think they come from a place as rich in wonder as the lost city of Xanadu.

It's a lovely place guys, but get over-yerselves. Ireland is more than Cork and more than Dublin. We have to get over the parish-pump mentality and start thinking of ourselves as a modern European nation rich in diversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The big problem with people from outside dublin and their views of the place is the amount of investment by the government in dublin over the last 30 years by both bertie and charlie (dublin men) ...through tax breaks (ifsc and dublin docklands development authority) and direct investment in transport projects (luas, dublin bus & port tunnel) and by the massive increase in civil service numbers located in Dublin. Its annoying that all this investment is concentrated in the one area and other areas are left swing for years or so it seems......
    About population, Corks current pop is 500,000 nearly half that of Dublin. We should be getting half the infrastructural spend but we don't. We should as second city get a significant number of civil servant jobs but we don't. That drives us mad. Dublin is now congested and geographically inhibited from expanding in all directions (Irish sea) so now the dublin lobby is promoting greater spending on infrastructure such as the underground, luas extensions, etc which are economically questionable for a city of 1.5 million(?).

It is now time for Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford etc to expand but we can't due to government's obsession with looking after the Dublin vote and creating the so called Dublin-Belfast economic corridor.

Time as another poster said for the western rail corridor and the western motorway so for once, all roads don't lead to Dublin. But we'll be waiting for years yet as the NRA and the RPA are really only concerned about road and rail access to Dublin. Time for the formation of a Regional Party!

I

1.Dublin is the main Urban area on the island, It got the IFSC because it was the best place to put it (in the centre of the capital city that needed re-juvenation well connected with the rest of the country),where would you have put it? off Pana?:rolleyes:

2. Dublin suffers from a severe Infrastructure deficit, so does Cork, Corks can be remedied with a lots of new buses and maybe a tram, Dublin requires a whole host of transport solutions to its massive expansion, that includes the Interconnector and LUAS extensions, stop being a begrudger!

3. The county of Cork has roughly 450k, The Cork urban area is between 200-300k (however loosely you wish to define it is up to you). If you want to include the entire Greater Dublin Area the Dublins pop. is closer to 2m rather then 1m

4.Agreed, a proper Decentralisation programme should be implemented, we have one now but its flawed because it planned to send 10,000 civil servants to 50+ locations, blame FF for this stunt.

5.if a proper plan was in place to develop an alternative counter point to Dublin then it would be idiotic to focus development in a number of areas like Galway, Cork, Limerick & Waterford. Realistically to develop a proper counter point to the GDA that means focusing on one or 2 areas and concentrating infrastructure spending, tax designations, decentralisation and whatever else in those spots, chances of this happening in gombeen 'one for everyone in the audience' Ireland? Zilch, look at the National Spatial Strategy document to see why, do Dundalk, Letterkenny(Derry) Waterford and Athlone/Mullingar/Tullamore really deserve to be in the same designation as much bigger Cork? Hitching Corks star to the small cities is pointless. This country cannot afford to concentrate spending in Dublin and 3/4/5 other locations.

Time indeed for our City & County Councils along with our public reps to start developing big ideas for Cork, Dublin isnt going to do it for us, our Government politicians are useless.

6. The NRA & RPA would have a lot more money to spend if they didnt have to pay for useless projects in the sticks to keep the regions happy. Think about it, the West has nothing on Cork, yet they are getting the 800m+ WRC, a useless piece of infrastructure whilst Cork waits for the Midleton upgrade (all 10-15km of it). Whilst we wait for the two flyovers to be built Tullamore is getting its bypass this year!.

Instead of Bashing Dublin we should realise that Dublin is our closest ally! not the other regions who are just out to get what they can from Dublin. Cork has huge potential, its the most obvious choice for a counter point to Dublin, but because Cork is bracketed in with the other minor cities who expect parity of treatment, then Cork is going to continue to just plod along.

Limerick will have a full ring road before Cork
    Waterford will have 2 toll free motorways to Dublin (M9 & N11)
    Full Mway between Galway-Limerick(before the M20 gets built, promise)

Meanwhile the backlog on Corks infrastructure spending is the 2 flyovers, the North Ring, the N28, and thats before even considering the mammoth job of upgrading the Dunkettle Interchange!

into that factor the huge delays in re-opening the Midleton line and new commuter stations, the airport fiasco etc., the 2 tolls we'll have to pay on the M8.....

Do any of you see my point, so long as Cork is bracketed in with that lot we're always going to be second division.

When a new Government comes in the current National Spatial Straegy should be scrapped and this country needs to decide whether to let Dublin develop across the island or is this country serious about developing a counter point to Dublin. If Cork was chosen as the counter point can you guess what areas will complain bitterly at being overlooked?, it wont be Dublin.....

In fairness dublin isn't a ****hole anymore. Over the last 20 years there has been a huge change in the capital from the docklands to the transport infrastructure, more tourists, etc.
    I think Corks people views of Dublin is coloured by our trips to croke park and thinking jesus what a ****hole it is around here but thats the past.:)
    The big problem with people from outside dublin and their views of the place is the amount of investment by the government in dublin over the last 30 years by both bertie and charlie (dublin men) through tax breaks (ifsc and dublin docklands development authority) and direct investment in transport projects (luas, dublin bus & port tunnel) and by the massive increase in civil service numbers located in Dublin. Its annoying that all this investment is concentrated in the one area and other areas are left swing for years or so it seems.

I left Cork in my early 20's and came back near to 30. I have lived in Galway, Dublin, London & Sydney but Cork is an excellent city for its size and what I now want in life.

This PROC and Dublin is a ****hole nonsense has to stop and it is time for Cork people to concentrate on promoting what a great corner of the world we live in. We have some of the best restaraunts/food in Ireland, our nightlife is buzzing, within a 5 minute walk of pana we have at least 6 theatres, some of best festivals (jazz, film, midsummer), excellent concerts throughout the year, the best range of sporting activities and sportspeople in Ireland, some of the best academic institutions in Ireland, a really improved city centre and the best selection of job oppurtunities in Ireland outside Dublin.

I lived in Dublin when i was a growing up, and moved back there for a year to work.

Its a total dump.

The only difference between when i was a kid and when i went back to work is that the division between rich and poor these days is massive. If your living in Dublin these days and your broke .. your REALLY broke. Whereas when i was a kid the Celtic tiger was only getting going and everyone was around the same level.

Cork is by no means perfect, but since i've moved abroad its hard not to say that the Dublin city is a massive embarrassment. Even the Conto-Europeans think its funny when they get to Dublin and experience the Public Transport, Airport, Prices, attitude, rip off mentality.

Anytime a european asks me where to go to in Ireland my answer is always ANYWHERE except DUBLIN.

Kilkenny is my favorite town at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

1.Dublin is the main Urban area on the island, It got the IFSC because it was the best place to put it (in the centre of the capital city that needed re-juvenation well connected with the rest of the country),where would you have put it? off Pana?:rolleyes:

2. Dublin suffers from a severe Infrastructure deficit, so does Cork, Corks can be remedied with a lots of new buses and maybe a tram, Dublin requires a whole host of transport solutions to its massive expansion, that includes the Interconnector and LUAS extensions, stop being a begrudger!

3. The county of Cork has roughly 450k, The Cork urban area is between 200-300k (however loosely you wish to define it is up to you). If you want to include the entire Greater Dublin Area the Dublins pop. is closer to 2m rather then 1m

4.Agreed, a proper Decentralisation programme should be implemented, we have one now but its flawed because it planned to send 10,000 civil servants to 50+ locations, blame FF for this stunt.

5.if a proper plan was in place to develop an alternative counter point to Dublin then it would be idiotic to focus development in a number of areas like Galway, Cork, Limerick & Waterford. Realistically to develop a proper counter point to the GDA that means focusing on one or 2 areas and concentrating infrastructure spending, tax designations, decentralisation and whatever else in those spots, chances of this happening in gombeen 'one for everyone in the audience' Ireland? Zilch, look at the National Spatial Strategy document to see why, do Dundalk, Letterkenny(Derry) Waterford and Athlone/Mullingar/Tullamore really deserve to be in the same designation as much bigger Cork? Hitching Corks star to the small cities is pointless. This country cannot afford to concentrate spending in Dublin and 3/4/5 other locations.

Time indeed for our City & County Councils along with our public reps to start developing big ideas for Cork, Dublin isnt going to do it for us, our Government politicians are useless.

6. The NRA & RPA would have a lot more money to spend if they didnt have to pay for useless projects in the sticks to keep the regions happy. Think about it, the West has nothing on Cork, yet they are getting the 800m+ WRC, a useless piece of infrastructure whilst Cork waits for the Midleton upgrade (all 10-15km of it). Whilst we wait for the two flyovers to be built Tullamore is getting its bypass this year!.

Instead of Bashing Dublin we should realise that Dublin is our closest ally! not the other regions who are just out to get what they can from Dublin. Cork has huge potential, its the most obvious choice for a counter point to Dublin, but because Cork is bracketed in with the other minor cities who expect parity of treatment, then Cork is going to continue to just plod along.

Limerick will have a full ring road before Cork
    Waterford will have 2 toll free motorways to Dublin (M9 & N11)
    Full Mway between Galway-Limerick(before the M20 gets built, promise)

Meanwhile the backlog on Corks infrastructure spending is the 2 flyovers, the North Ring, the N28, and thats before even considering the mammoth job of upgrading the Dunkettle Interchange!

into that factor the huge delays in re-opening the Midleton line and new commuter stations, the airport fiasco etc., the 2 tolls we'll have to pay on the M8.....

Do any of you see my point, so long as Cork is bracketed in with that lot we're always going to be second division.

When a new Government comes in the current National Spatial Straegy should be scrapped and this country needs to decide whether to let Dublin develop across the island or is this country serious about developing a counter point to Dublin. If Cork was chosen as the counter point can you guess what areas will complain bitterly at being overlooked?, it wont be Dublin.....
    well said.
    Very true. I find most Cork people very elitist and think they come from a place as rich in wonder as the lost city of Xanadu.

It's a lovely place guys, but get over-yerselves. Ireland is more than Cork and more than Dublin. We have to get over the parish-pump mentality and start thinking of ourselves as a modern European nation rich in diversity.
    .ha ha ha true it can be, just like any part of ireland. i have worked in most of ireland for the last 20/22 years and enjoyed it for the most ,still do where ever you go here its up to yourself how you get on with the locals

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhgbmhojkfkf/
    26/05/2008 - 11:46:39
    The proposed metro line planned for north Dublin could lead to the creation of thousands of new jobs over the coming decades, according to Fingal County Council.

The council has launched a new strategy plan today that aims to take advantage of the metro by doubling economic activity in the area that it serves.

It says 37,000 jobs could be created over the next 20 years if the plan comes to fruition.

The proposals also include locating a new university and hospital within the area served by the Metro North project.

Thats more of it ffs :)

craichoe wrote: »

More of what? utilising a piece of needed infrastructure in the best economic manner by planning development around the Metro - a key transport corridor.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/05/20/story23753.asp
    Carrigaline, seven miles from Cork city, has the highest number of commuters per capita in the country, and its problems are similar to other growing centres of population.

Michael Wall, chairman of the Carrigaline Community Association, said that despite the fact that many of the town’s 16,000 inhabitants worked in pharmaceutical plants in Ringaskiddy, there was still no direct bus services there.

‘‘If there were a few services daily they would be widely availed of. A light rail system to Cork city should also be examined,” he said.

And still ? fúck all investment, have to have a car, rubbish public transport. What are they supposed to do, move to Dublin ?

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/05/20/story23753.asp

And still ? fúck all investment, have to have a car, rubbish public transport. What are they supposed to do, move to Dublin ?

The long awaited N28 is planned for serving the harbour area & Carrigaline.

A Light Rail system, from say Ballincollig-City Centre-TC-Douglas and maybe onto Passage West and into Carrigaline will probably be feasible at some point in the future, there are parts of old Railway alignments around and densities of population which suggest its a goer.

But Carrigaline and all of Corks public transport woes could easily be solved by lots of new buses, not the 10-20-30(half of which are replacements to the existing BE Cork fleet) that Cork is currently scheduled to get, and a customer friendly timetable (aka buses after 10-11pm).

Blame Fianna Fail. Dont vote for them next year or at the next GE. Do vote yes for Lisbon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

More of what? utilising a piece of needed infrastructure in the best economic manner by planning development around the Metro - a key transport corridor.
    Heard this on the radio this morning and laughed myself sick.

Only in Ireland could we already overload a public transport service that hasn't even been built yet!

"Jaysus lads, dere buildin' a metro out beyond Swords, let's pay sum consultancy a couple of millon euro to agree with us rezonin' that green belt and give Sean Quinn a call!".

Only in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I love Dublin but I don't have any real reason to live there any more, that's why I came back to Cork and I've decided to stay put unless something major happens to make me move (and who knows where that could be).
    I also had enough of living in Dublin and I really appreciate how much easier and reasonably priced life is down here now, whereas I didn't before I moved up. Two years in Dublin was a good stint. And I don't know about the whole "oh there's way more to do in Dublin" argument. Well it's just my opinion, but I found I was getting up and going to work every day, not doing much in the evenings as I would be exhausted, and then I'd want to go home a lot of weekends. So I was just living the same life as a working person would live anywhere. I think I'll probably do more in Dublin now when I go up there for weekends, as one tends to do so on weekends away. Whereas when you're just living in the place, you don't make as much effort - in my opinion anyway. One bad thing though: most of the good concerts in Dublin are on week nights... but meh, if they're really worth going to I could take a couple of days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I disagree, it's a minority that really are like that. Similar to how there's plenty of people in Dublin who think the sun rises and sets there but they aren't the majority from my experience. Most people don't really give a ****, outside of when the GAA teams are playing. ;)

Personally, I dislike Dublin but that's because I dislike large cities in general. I'm a country boy and find so many buildings and streets confusing.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

1. It got the IFSC because it was the best place to put it where would you have put it? off Pana?:rolleyes:

2. stop being a begrudger!

Just a few points. On the IFSC and the DDA, both of these projects secured tax incentives and government backing including legislation. I could add to that the Media Hub project and the University Campus project near Smithfield. In Cork we have now been waiting 2 years since the EU approved tax designation package for the Docklands and we are still waiting for the Government to give us legislative backing for this designation. Why the delay? Why hamper Corks developement in this manner when other regions can get similar backing with relative ease.
    There is no begrudgery here, I agree the IFSC should be located in Dublin, no problem whatsoever just saying why can't Cork get similar incentives for the docklands?
    Cork County at the 2006 census had a pop of 480,000 people. Nearly 300,000 of those live within a 15 Mile radius of the Kinsale Rd roundabout, 350,000 in the Cork Metro area (includes Fermoy and Mallow). I have never heard of the GDA having a pop of 2million!
    The other points about regional development are a matter of debate but a proper economic analysis has to be done on all future infrastructural spending. Can anyone explain how the Transport 21 projects were approved and what projects are priority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

I do

Why the delay? Why hamper Corks developement in this manner when other regions can get similar backing with relative ease.?[
    There is no begrudgery here, I agree the IFSC should be located in Dublin, no problem whatsoever just saying why can't Cork get similar incentives for the docklands?

Oh i agree with you totally, where has the impetus being? Local Government & locally based TDs & Ministers have paid lip service on this and other issues relating to Cork, however the lack of progress at a national level on just about any topic you care to pick is indicative of the quality of the Candidate we elect.

Cork County at the 2006 census had a pop of 480,000 people. Nearly 300,000 of those live within a 15 Mile radius of the Kinsale Rd roundabout, 350,000 in the Cork Metro area (includes Fermoy and Mallow). I have never heard of the GDA having a pop of 2million!
    The other points about regional development are a matter of debate but a proper economic analysis has to be done on all future infrastructural spending. Can anyone explain how the Transport 21 projects were approved and what projects are priority?

1) im aware of the statistics involved, the GDA is scheduled to absorb most of any predicted population growth IIRC, so 2M is its next likely landmark.

2) Transport 21 may be presented as a futuristic plan but in reality its basically a catch up plan helping to restore the infrastructure deficit this country is in the midst of due to unprecedented economic growth(especially in Dublin + surrounds), its Dublin focused because thats where the deficit is greatest. You should wonder why the constantly delayed Midleton upgrade (all 10-15km) is all essentially Cork gets whilst the loosely populated & less Developed West gets the Western Railway corridor, all 800m+ of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

2) Transport 21 may be presented as a futuristic plan but in reality its basically a catch up plan helping to restore the infrastructure deficit this country is in the midst of due to unprecedented economic growth(especially in Dublin + surrounds), its Dublin focused because thats where the deficit is greatest.

I agree that it's playing catch up but it's not because of the unprecedented economic growth, it's because of it and the preceding decades of neglect towards it. Since the 90s we've been trying to build everything that should have been built from the early 70s and onwards essentially, which is a very inefficient and expensive way to go about things.

nesf wrote: »
    I agree that it's playing catch up but it's not because of the unprecedented economic growth, it's because of it and the preceding decades of neglect towards it. Since the 90s we've been trying to build everything that should have been built from the early 70s and onwards essentially, which is a very inefficient and expensive way to go about things.

To an extent true, but we have to factor how bloated this countries spending actually has been this past 10-15 years, look at the WRC, look at the 5 Inter Urbans and ton of bypasses for every county in Ireland, its taken 20 years for Dublin to build 2 light railway lines in the same time, Dublin suffers the most and needs the most work, the Railway element in T21 Should have come before a lot of the original NDPs 'priority' infrastructure spending. But politics wins out, thats why the WRC will be operational before any Metro!.

To an extent true, but we have to factor how bloated this countries spending actually has been this past 10-15 years, look at the WRC, look at the 5 Inter Urbans and ton of bypasses for every county in Ireland, its taken 20 years for Dublin to build 2 light railway lines in the same time, Dublin suffers the most and needs the most work, the Railway element in T21 Should have come before a lot of the original NDPs 'priority' infrastructure spending. But politics wins out, thats why the WRC will be operational before any Metro!.

I see your point, but its already been proven in many european countries that focusing development on a single densely populated area does not work as any effort you put into developing the infrastructure is immediately counteracted by an influx of more people wanting to work there so they do not need a car.

Just have a look at this in comparison:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RandstadRail

The Trams can even share heavy rail tracks with normal trains so they use existing track rather than having to build another light rail along the same course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

why would anyone want to spend a penny on extra rail infrastructure in Cork when we see what the drivers down here are like! Seriously, would you invest your money in something that can grind to a halt at the whim of one disgruntled employee? No!

Perhaps if the people in Cork spend more time lobbying the political leaders and voicing their opinion in the proper forums (not this one for example!) and even taking some action themselves they might see some results.

• Advertisement

I see your point, but its already been proven in many european countries that focusing development on a single densely populated area does not work as any effort you put into developing the infrastructure is immediately counteracted by an influx of more people wanting to work there so they do not need a car.

Just have a look at this in comparison:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RandstadRail

The Trams can even share heavy rail tracks with normal trains so they use existing track rather than having to build another light rail along the same course.

Yep, as i say i agree with you, but what also doesnt work is taking a scatter gun approach to development and infrastructure spending, thats whats happened in Ireland and thats why Dublin has continued to grow disproportionate to the rest of the country.

Maybe if the Buchanen Report from the 1960s had been implemented or even a proper useful National Spatial Strategy and not the piece of piss we have now, had been developed then we might not have the kind of problems we have now. But we didnt, blame FF & gombeenism for that.

Advertisement