Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Big Cutback On Clamping - 25 Years On

Options
  • 16-05-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Unfortunatly it's in the UK. Will probably take our lot another 20 years to realise it doesn't work (or admit it is only a money making exercise)...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20080516/tuk-big-cutback-on-clamping-25-years-on-45dbed5.html

By Sky News SkyNews - Friday, May 16 12:48 pm

Increasing numbers of local councils have largely abandoned the idea of clamping cars - 25 years on from the day the idea was first introduced into the UK.
    (Advertisement)

It was on March 16 1983 that police in London first began fitting "Denver Boots" to the wheels of vehicles which had been illegally parked.

Their drivers not only had - and still have - to pay the original parking fine, but also a hefty additional sum for retrieving the vehicle from a pound.

Other offences for which they could be immobilised include, for example, having no road tax, or not paying large numbers of previous parking fines.

Westminster Council, in the centre of the capital, was the first to introduce the scheme - and also among the first to cut back.

In 2005 it reduced the number of clampings it carried out from 50,000 to 15,000 virtually overnight, realising that what had previously been an effective deterrent had become outdated.

Now, in common with other local authorities in London and across the country, it resorts to clamping only as a last resort - for example for persistent offenders or overseas drivers who otherwise would escape any punishment.

New regulations - part of the Traffic Management Act - which also recommended that councils take a slightly more relaxed view, came into force at the beginning of April.

A spokesman for the Department for Transport said: "The whole point of parking sanctions is to keep traffic moving.

"It doesn't help that if a car is immobilised at the side of the road."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

All i know is, traffic was a hell of lot worse in Dublin city centre before clamping was introduced. Ok it doesn't move the car but it's a good deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

All i know is, traffic was a hell of lot worse in Dublin city centre before clamping was introduced. Ok it doesn't move the car but it's a good deterrent.

It's the fine, not the clamp which is the deterrant. They increased the fine at the same time as introducing the clamp here. I think a parking ticket used to be something like £20, a risk many were willing to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My understanding was that one of the largely unmentioned factors that really made the case for clamping is that it stopped people from parking where they want, driving off and then at a later date getting their preferred city councillor/official to drop the fine as was common practice at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Unfortunatly it's in the UK. Will probably take our lot another 20 years to realise it doesn't work
    As the others have said, it does work. It used to be near-on impossible to find on-street parking in the city centre, it's a lot easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    It used to be near-on impossible to find on-street parking in the city centre, it's a lot easier now.

Agreed. Clamping sure has something to do with that. Another major factor though is that on-street parking used to be very cheap compared to (private) multi-story carparks. Not any more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Clamping is capitalism at its worst

I read somewhere you can be clamped for blocking an emergency exit. so you're stuck there, all the EU safety culture and regulations go out the window as long as some annoying little private clamping company can get their 80 euros.

towel401 wrote: »
    Clamping is capitalism at its worst

I read somewhere you can be clamped for blocking an emergency exit. so you're stuck there, all the EU safety culture and regulations go out the window as long as some annoying little private clamping company can get their 80 euros.
    Granted, clamping's not perfect. If you can think of a better way then out with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mean_Mr Mustard

Government official comes along & keys the side of your car. That would stop it! Bit drastic maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Clamping was cut back in Galway a couple of years ago, and people have gone back to the "so what" attitude, especially vans and trucks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The clampers in Dublin (and presumably elsewhere) already lift cars that pose an obstruction where possible. Cars that overstayed their time are the ones that are left in situ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

(or admit it is only a money making exercise)...
    I have absolutely no problem with it being a money making exercise. It only affects those who park illegally. Those of us who obey the regulations won't have to pay any clamping/pound fees.
    All i know is, traffic was a hell of lot worse in Dublin city centre before clamping was introduced
    Anan1 wrote: »
    It used to be near-on impossible to find on-street parking in the city centre, it's a lot easier now.
    100% agree. It's much easier to find parking in Dublin now than years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Unfortunatly it's in the UK. Will probably take our lot another 20 years to realise it doesn't work (or admit it is only a money making exercise)...
    Dublin City Council reduced the amount of clamping they did when the contract was renewed about 4 years ago.
    My understanding was that one of the largely unmentioned factors that really made the case for clamping is that it stopped people from parking where they want, driving off and then at a later date getting their preferred city councillor/official to drop the fine as was common practice at the time.
    It also meant people actually pay for their parking - it doubled parking meter income while freeing up spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fey! wrote: »
    Clamping was cut back in Galway a couple of years ago, and people have gone back to the "so what" attitude, especially vans and trucks.
    I don't blame vans and trucks for illegal parking if ordinary cars and non commercial jeeps continue to hog up loading bays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed. Clamping sure has something to do with that. Another major factor though is that on-street parking used to be very cheap compared to (private) multi-story carparks. Not any more

Of course, 25 years ago there were fewer off street parking spaces than there are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Clamping is excessive for a few minutes overstay on a meter, as distinct from parking on double yellows etc. Retain tickets for simple short overstays, but clamp anyone with an outstanding ticket, so repeat offenders would not get away with it.

Victor wrote: »
    It also meant people actually pay for their parking - it doubled parking meter income while freeing up spaces.

Why do you think people should pay for parking? You can implement a system where the parking is free but you still control the length of time people can park for. I was in Italy a few years ago and the town I was staying in had a nice little system. Every car had a sticker with a clock in the window. When you park your car you set the clock to the time you parked. Signs on the road tell you the max amount of time you can stay. When the warden comes around they check the time you have set and if you are there longer than allowed you get a ticket.

Why do you think people should pay for parking?
    Because parking is a finite resource and if it isn't paid for it just gets abused. With the introduction of clamping parking was freed up for those who need their cars.

Why do you think it should be free?

PS Did you ever tell the council about that road with the inappropriate speed limit or do you just like mouthing off about it?

Because parking is a finite resource and if it isn't paid for it just gets abused. With the introduction of clamping parking was freed up for those who need their cars.

Why do you think it should be free?
    My point is that you can control parking without making people pay for it.
    PS Did you ever tell the council about that road with the inappropriate speed limit or do you just like mouthing off about it?

There are hundreds of roads with inappropiate speed limits in this country, the council know this already, they don't need me to report it to them. You should get some sleep, you might be less grumpy then.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Clamping is excessive for a few minutes overstay on a meter, as distinct from parking on double yellows etc.
    A grace period is given for expired meters (not for nuisance offences). Thats why you sometimes see the clampers waiting to see if someone comes back.

My point is that you can control parking without making people pay for it.
    Only if demand for parking spaces doesn't outstrip supply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement