Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bring back Radio Nova

• 16-05-2008 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭

Just heard Phil Cawley mention that a documentry by this name is to be aired on TV3 next week. :):):):):):):)
    Anybody here know more about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I imagine this is a tie-in with the death of Chris Cary

Miek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

And maybe the 25th anniversary of the raid which is on Sunday I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I was more of a Sunshine fan. :)

DOCUMENTARY: Bring Back Radio Nova
    On: TV3
    Date: Wednesday 21st May 2008
    Time: 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm (1 hour long)

Step back into the 1980's and remember the radio station that a generation grew up with. It is 25 years since Radio Nova was forced to close down amid protests on the streets of Dublin. In this special anniversary documentary meet the Nova staff who grew up into household names and hear the stories, which chart the rise and fall of Ireland's super-pirate radio station. Includes interviews with Brian Dobson, Colm Hayes, Ken Hammond, Ian Dempsey, Dave Fanning and many more.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

If you were a fan of Radio Nova, there is a weekend of it, this weekend on 92.0fm in Dublin. All the music from the era, jingles, ads from that time and even some news as well. Its to mark 25 years since the raids that shut Nova down and also to pay tribute to the creator Chris Cary who passed away a couple of months back. The people operating it have nothing to do with the TV3 programme makers, it just coincides with the weekend.

If you were a fan of Radio Nova, there is a weekend of it, this weekend on 92.0fm in Dublin. All the music from the era, jingles, ads from that time and even some news as well. Its to mark 25 years since the raids that shut Nova down and also to pay tribute to the creator Chris Cary who passed away a couple of months back. The people operating it have nothing to do with the TV3 programme makers, it just coincides with the weekend.

Managed to hear bits of it via the 1386 AM relay (v v weak).Sounded good tho. Pity there is no stream as It would have been possible to organise an FM relay down the sticks. Im sure a SW relay into Europe could have been arranged using one of the Irish relay services too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have been listening at various intervals today, alternating between 92.0 FM and 1386 Khz AM, depending on whether I am in the car or at home.

It certainly brings back a lot of memories.

Well done to all those behind Nova Tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

What was the strike about? Did they not recognise the NUJ or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

bugger, sorry I missed this. Is it archived anywhere?
    Miek

time to lay off the sauce I think :)

:p I better set the vid as its CL night on RTE/ITV, some of us are bound to forget in all the er excitment.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tomorrow morning (Tuesday) from 7am on TV3, they will be discussing Radio Nova & airing old clips . . . :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

DMC wrote: »
    I was more of a Sunshine fan. :)

Includes interviews with Brian Dobson, Colm Hayes, Ken Hammond, Ian Dempsey, Dave Fanning and many more.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide-

Don't know what Dave Fanning is doing on it he didn't work for Nova neither did Ian Dempsey the other three did. I wonder will they touch on how boring and one dimensional they have become since joining the establishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's pretty amazing how a Dublin station managed to catch the attention of a lot of the country.

There are probably still a lot of people who won't have a clue what it's about, but I don't think it'll be just anoraks tuning in tomorrow night....especially considering that Coast 103 relayed the satellite version overnight with Liam Quigley, etc.....

I wonder will LQ or any of those be featured in the documentary, or will it just be a love-in with the guys who are still in touch with each other ? Hopefully it'll be more than just that, because otherwise it won't do the station's legacy justice.

"From 26-thousand miles in the sky....Nova - the sound of Europe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

From what I can gather a lot of the stuff is lifted from George Long's old video Footage..... of

The Nova Promotional Video
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rGbq1a2mvWQ

Radio Nova Closedown

Part 1 http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxnb8GUne0s
    Part 2 http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rZtO-hWgq3Y
    Part 3 http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMjXiM3CAk
    Part 4 http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ynPQXSYx55o

with video inserts from Tom Hardy, Micky Joe Hogan and John Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Can't wait for this show. There was also a short Radio Nova feature on Ian Dempsey this morning. Today FM's programme director was involved with Nova and he was doing a bit of reminiscing. There were several clips played. The sound quality was just awesome and the professionalism of the jingles, voiceovers and presenting was really remarkable. Those jingles sound so cheesy today, but nevertheless, the production on them for 25+ years ago is superb. But what was it with those 70s/80s "epic" jingles. The style was universal and the music fairly generic. Was it from a muzak-type "supplier" or what?

I also remember tuning into a MW station every weekday for a chart show - pretty sure it was Casey Kasem. But the station definitely wasn't Radio Nova as it was '85 at the very earliest. I wouldn't have been tuning into the radio in '83 - more interested in my dollies :p

Anyone have any idea what that station was? I think it was just the top 5 every weekday at about 5pm, then the whole lot would be played at the weekend.

There is a company in Texas which is the world supplier of stings and jingles.

You can have some fun here

http://www.dewolfe.co.uk/musicsearch/cd_tracks.php?cdnumber=HRCB%2003

Mike.

Dudess wrote: »
    Can't wait for this show. There was also a short Radio Nova feature on Ian Dempsey this morning. Today FM's programme director was involved with Nova and he was doing a bit of reminiscing. There were several clips played. The sound quality was just awesome and the professionalism of the jingles, voiceovers and presenting was really remarkable. Those jingles sound so cheesy today, but nevertheless, the production on them for 25+ years ago is superb. But what was it with those 70s/80s "epic" jingles. The style was universal and the music fairly generic. Was it from a muzak-type "supplier" or what?

I also remember tuning into a MW station every weekday for a chart show - pretty sure it was Casey Kasem. But the station definitely wasn't Radio Nova as it was '85 at the very earliest. I wouldn't have been tuning into the radio in '83 - more interested in my dollies :p

Anyone have any idea what that station was? I think it was just the top 5 every weekday at about 5pm, then the whole lot would be played at the weekend.

you were listening to the red hot sounds of sunshine 101 I think :) it was a syndicated show, I used to think that shaggy flew into Dublin every week

mickd wrote: »
    Don't know what Dave Fanning is doing on it he didn't work for Nova neither did Ian Dempsey the other three did. I wonder will they touch on how boring and one dimensional they have become since joining the establishment.

Fanning and Dempsey were of course ex-pirates themselves, and may be used to set the scene, pre-Nova.

mike65 wrote: »
    There is a company in Texas which is the world supplier of stings and jingles.

That would be JAM
    www.jingles.com

I was working in Dublin in a Hi-Fi shop back in the Nova days, McDonnalds had just opened in O'Connell St, the Bad Ass Cafe also, in whats now called Temple Bar, & I remember well the sheer delight at picking-up this Fantistic new "FM Stereo Station" in Dublin (& with such a strong & Hi quality signal), the jingles were slick, the tracks well chosen too, & it really was a joy to have a real HI-Fi FM Stereo station here in Dublin!

RTE 2FM was OK-ish at the time, and the MW Pirates were always available (but just not in FM Stereo), I had an FM roof Aerial for picking-up the BBCs which was especially great on a Sunday 4pm (I think) for the BBC Top 40, & hearing what you could look forward to on TOTP, but in the car it was always Radio NOVA.

I was there for the close down too, driving past & beeping my horn, and that was it ~ the end of an era, but I'm glad I was there & I'm glad I witnessed it . . . . . .

Oh yes, & I had a NOVA car sticker too.

TV3 Tonight ~ 9PM (in Stereo) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Nova was on in '85 and carried Casey Kasem.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

I thought the show was pretty good all round, it evoked the sound of Nova - and the ambient music tracks were well chosen - how come you hear none of them on so called 80's oldies shows on radio now? ( I'll answer that one - because they are not available easily on Now 80's compilations CD's)

It was interesting how many commented on the sound quality of Nova - this was in large part down to box of tricks called an Orban Optimod - Nova had the first FM Optimod in Europe. He also added a bit of reverb (sort of like echo) to the sound.

Compared to everything else around it blew the socks off of anything else on the dial

As a footnote, ABC in Waterford bought the actual Nova Optimod 8100 for the princely sum of £4000, a not inconsiderable sum in in 1986.
    (Incidentally it still works pefectly to this day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 B@ndit

Radio Nova never really went away....

It was sort of a mother figure to Declan, Bryan and the others...
    then when they left the NOVA nest they brought their skills and personalaties to other stations.

May Tony & Chris rest in peace, they showed them how it should be done!

Steven.

Guess who forgot to set the VCR.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 B@ndit

Hi Tony,
    I have it recorded on the Sky box,
    I have waited many years for something like this, to recognise the big part NOVA played in shaping the future of radio broadcasting in Ireland, anyway I (probably along with many others)will be transferring it to DVD and if you want to e-mail me your address I will post you a copy. Then as a gesture of good will you (if you have the facilities to do it) can send somebody else on a copy and they can ....... etc etc.....

regards

Steven.

Guess who forgot to set the VCR.

Mike.

FOOL

Don't worry. There will loads of copies going around.

Hissing, I think the reverb was only added to the studio mic. At least it was in the Herbert St. days.

A good program overall but it ommited several things. Kiss FM and Nova TV got no mention.
    NTV had a lot to do with the reason they were raided along with the 50 kW transmitter. I suppose if the full story was to be told it take a lot more than an hour....

Still a good show and nice to see the old on air mixing desk still working to this day in a couple of the close up shots;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fmf

I messed up recording this as well. Anyone caring to share a copy can get me at

<mod snip - please see your PMs>

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Can anyone remember the 3 songs in the £5,000 cash giveaway? I think one was Rod Stewart's Baby Jane....:confused:

I've just remembered 'Nova's Nightcap' remember that? every night after the eleven O'Clock news the theme music wold start "When a Man loves a woman" you would then have a hour or two of clutter free romantic/ smoochy music to kinoodle to with the girlfriend ~ nice :)

I too remember NOVA TV, which lasted for just one brief News Broacdast, (if memory serves me correctly)? you can now see that broadcast on Utube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Tidy documentary and well put together.

As I predicted, though, no mention of, and a pity it didn't extend to having at least some reference to, Nova on satellite....the legacy lived on for a fair bit longer than the documentary showed.

Still have fond memories of listening to the Hits 954 / Coast 103 overnights with Liam Quigley, and the "26,000 miles in the sky" jingles....

Nova - the sound of Europe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. I had just started to work in an ad agency at the time and remember being disappointed entering the Herbert Street studios, I had been out in RTE a few days earlier and was blown away. But Nova kicked RTE Radio 2's ass all over the place. Remember the Nightclub they had up at Green Acres and the Boogie buses back in to town afterwards. I remember seeing Johnny Logan live up there, was it called Nova Park? Carey had Mike Hogan working behind the bar at that stage, very humiliating. Mickey Joe knew me well to see, still does, but he conveniently ignored me when the bar was ten deep, couldn't understand it at the time but I do now. Some of last night's contributors alluded to Carey being a 'bit' difficult to work with, I think he went a bit mad in the mid 80's and totally took his eye off the ball, shame really. Good auld reminisce last night. Just remembered the ad agency had to pay for air time up front at the time such was the demand. Unheard of and I doubt you'd get away with it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    FOOL

Hissing, I think the reverb was only added to the studio mic. At least it was in the Herbert St. days.)

You could be right - that's how we did it in ABC, but I have a hazy recolletion that at some stage we heard some reverb on an off air tape that certainly wasn't there on the original record, audio processing notwithstanding. I wouldn't be surprised if both ways were tried.
    In the 60's and 70's it was common to add it to the whole mix in the USA to make the sound 'bigger' (at least in the USA - listen to 1970's WABC recordings - it sounds like they are in a cave!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Lots of stuff on Nova here

http://www.radiowaves.fm/radionova.shtml

Miss the jingles ?? Welcome to memory lane!! http://homepage.eircom.net/~kieranmurray/radio_jingles.htm

alinton wrote: »
    Nova was on in '85 and carried Casey Kasem.

A.

SundayWorld_20September81.jpg

Firedance wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the 3 songs in the £5,000 cash giveaway? I think one was Rod Stewart's Baby Jane....:confused:
    The £5000 giveaway was on Kiss FM

Nova gave away £6000

1 Wanna be starting something-Michael Jackson
    2 Baby Jane-Rod Stewart
    3 Lets Dance-David Bowie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

I don't suppose there's a ghost of a chance someone could Youtube this? I'm thousands of miles away and pining for a stroll down this particularly leafy memory lane...

Pretty please?

• Advertisement

This guy will have it up soon (he said!)

http://www.youtube.com/justforthebox

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Indeed it was a superb documetary, fairplay to TV3 It was one of the few beacons of light in this country during the early 80s. Cracking soundtrack and if there are any copies I would love one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

Cheers, mike 65.

Will keep an eye open. :D

It was interesting to see pics from 25 years ago of the more well known faces. Brian Dobson was SO babyfaced! Colm Hayes was kinda cute. Anne Cassin - I was expecting her to be drop-dead amazing in the old pics but she looks a zillion times better now. She was probably only in her late teens back then and contrary to popular belief, not all women peak around that age, in fact many of them look a lot less attractive at that age...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

Where the feck is it on YouTube? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Dudess wrote: »
    ! Colm Nugent was kinda cute. ...

Hayes?? :confused:;)

Indeed. I'm confuddling him with his current sidekick :)

Anoraks all over the country with DVD recorders and none of it on YouTube! :pac:

Excellent :D

Cheers

Hopefully part 1 of 5 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Great to see, I wonder will TV 3 repeat it? Might mail them.

Don't bother, I did and they have no plans to repeat it. Only TV3 eh?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah. Why rebroadcast about the only decent thing they've ever made and that people actually want to see? Of course, what the punters really want is lots of repeats of Xpose :rolleyes:

Its all up on youtube now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/justforthebox

Just watched it all, had to laugh at Dave Fannings mighty contribution - hope he's suitably embarassed.

Mike.

Firetrap wrote: »
    Yeah. Why rebroadcast about the only decent thing they've ever made and that people actually want to see? Of course, what the punters really want is lots of repeats of Xpose :rolleyes:
    Absolutely. It really is a horrible television station.

• Advertisement
Advertisement