Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What pet?hedgehogs?

Options
  • 16-05-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

hey all

was hoping someone could help - i adore all animals and would love a pet but cannot have a dog/cat as i live in city and need indoor animals that is fun,loving but that someone does not have to be at home with them all day - im originally from the country and am so used to havin lots of pets....so would love some advice from people about what would the best choice for me??
    i saw african pygmy hedgehogs advertised which seem great and small also(is what i want) but they are €250 which i just dont think i could afford tbh.....is there anywhere else that hedgehogs can be gotten?

would appreciate any advice at all...

thanks.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

250 per hog is about right - I know pet shops that are charging 350 for each hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

hey all

was hoping someone could help - i adore all animals and would love a pet but cannot have a dog/cat as i live in city and need indoor animals that is fun,loving but that someone does not have to be at home with them all day - im originally from the country and am so used to havin lots of pets....so would love some advice from people about what would the best choice for me??
    i saw african pygmy hedgehogs advertised which seem great and small also(is what i want) but they are €250 which i just dont think i could afford tbh.....is there anywhere else that hedgehogs can be gotten?

would appreciate any advice at all...

thanks.:D

Can you not just catch one? They're always wandering around housing estates at night time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can you not just catch one? They're always wandering around housing estates at night time..

No no & no - wild life is protected! APH are captive bred - they are not found in the wild at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No no & no - wild life is protected!

Oh thats just superstiton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you cannot afford the 250 for the hedgehog then what happens if the hedgie becomes ill their housing isn't too dear but they do need to be kept warm I believe at a constant temperature. Vet charges are sky rocketing and for exotics it can be even more expensive esp. if you have to travel to get to one. There's a new irish hedgie site that's still in its early stages can't think of the site atm it's a freewebs one which will have more info.

Something like guinea pigs may be a better option although with any animal vets bills can be high, in general they are easy to keep not expensive to feed once you have the housing set up, sometimes you can get second hand housing which is fine if it's in good nick. The pigs themselves sometimes people just want a good home for them. After that they just need their hay and water daily, cleaning out regularly, fresh fruit and veggies and vet health checks twice a year few other things like bathing etc every 6 weeks or so.
    They must have company though so a pair of pigs will keep each other company and as long as they are stuffing their faces they won't miss you while you are gone lol.

They're great company too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

i keep and breed APH's great pets , do u have any bond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Oh thats just superstiton

No, its the law.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement