Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU scaling in games with dual & quad core processors

Options
  • 16-05-2008 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

An interesting article from Guru3d on CPU scaling in games with dual & quad core processors, here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

interesting article......i think now i'll hold off on getting a new computer and just upgrade my graphics card at the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Its crazy how people spend €500 plus on a Q6850 etc for gaming when a €50 E2160 overclocked is all the juice you need..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Its crazy how people spend €500 plus on a Q6850 etc for gaming when a €50 E2160 overclocked is all the juice you need..

Yep...but it's nice to squeeze even more juice outta the QX6850 :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

can't wait for nehalem, 16 physical cores 64 including virtual, improved vector calculations...no more need for a high end gpu to play games at a decent resolution:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Games dont use 4 cores yet, what good are
    16 physical cores 64 including virtual

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I think you may have missed the rolleyes at the end of his post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm actually using a 20E Pentium D 820 at the moment, at 3.5Ghz it's actually keeping up with Bioshock at 1680x1050 max settings without any real problems. Thought it'd entirely cripple my Sli machine but pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Sorry its hard to reek sarcasm in text, most games will be going mulitcore come 2012 so at least we have something to look forward to! And we're apparently going to be living off the p45 chipset for a long time which is more great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

All you need is a decent Core 2 Duo greater than 2.4-2.5Ghz and a good-great GFX nowadays for high res action.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Forgot to post about this, really interesting article and they have some excellent hardware reviews as well. Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

requiem1 wrote: »
    Sorry its hard to reek sarcasm in text, most games will be going mulitcore come 2012 so at least we have something to look forward to! And we're apparently going to be living off the p45 chipset for a long time which is more great news!

P45 chipset will be gone once Nehalem hits (toward the end of this year).

Nehalem moves the memory controller off the chipset, and thus requires a new chipset and socket.

Advertisement