Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

thinking of buying a cosworth!!!!!

Options
  • 16-05-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

hi all, im thinking about buying a sierra sapphire cosworth, does anyone have any experience with these beasts, ie performance, reliability wise? and which model is better 2wd or 4wd? any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Performance was considered amazing back in the day, today 200 odd BHP just does'nt seem like a whole lot! The engines are known for how tough they are, if they are not excessively tuned, left standard or have a few well thought out modifications, they will last a long time. If someone just turns up the boost on the standard turbo and internals, it will go pop eventually. They have been known to reliably make 450BHP and many have been tuned to 500BHP plus, but these are not reliable really!

2WD cars have probably been donutted, and I think the 4x4 version was later on the models life so may be in better condition. I would advise buying off an entusiast, someone that really looked after the car and did not trash it. Maybe get over to driver.ie as I know a few lads on there drive cossies. The cars are simple by todays standards, the cossie engine is legendary and the sierra is a tough car. I think some of the 4x4 models may have had differental problems, I'd look into it.

Personally, they were one of my fave cars growing up as a kid and I still take a second look when one passes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

astraboy wrote: »
    I would advise buying off an entusiast, someone that really looked after the car and did not trash it.
    +1
    Alot of people are gettin them in reasonably cheap and driving the ****e out of them. I'd becare who u would buy off. Absolutely smashing car btw, only for insurance i'd have one:D. Let us know how u get on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

One of the hardest cars there is to buy well. I'd seek assistance from the RS Owners Club.

The best of these was without doubt the 86/87 3 door. They make big money even now. The limited run RS500 makes even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Ugly pieces of crap imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Have a look for a Practical Classics back issue with a feature on them - that'll give you a good foundation to the stuff to look out for.
    To me, thay are a great 80's and early 90's classic - espp the saloon saphire models with full body kit, leathers,big rims,4x4 etc.
    Real retro look to them these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 johnrd

kfk wrote: »
    Ugly pieces of crap imo.

thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

don't buy a cozzy , they have all been crashed trashed and knowing where they been you'll possablly catch as sexual infection off it.

just buy a turbo diesel and convert it into a cossy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nice motor lad, would love one myself.

As the lads said definately go through the main clubs to see what you can get.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

£5000 will buy a nice Sapphire, and nearer £10,000 will be needed for a 3 door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 johnrd

does anyone know of any irish rs owners clubs? or even ford clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

eh -- Due to an experience I had in the UK I would go for the 4*4

I goosed a bit (to beat the savage lag) coming out of a petrol station on a wet day ( 1 min after been given the keys ) - she came on boost - we were going back into the service station then :D

Mostly down to my inexperience to be honest - but a lot of these would have gone through hedges backwards.

They are 80's technology remember, with handling of the era and no trick devices we are used to, and they were known to be a bit savage.

if its an everydayer I think the 4*4 saphire is the one to own. If its a weekender I would have the 3dr rwd ( and a stock of tyres ) :D -

Great car proper enthusiasts classic - good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

love Cosworths and drove many. Personally the original 3 door bis the best but the Sapphire is a nice car in its own right. The later 4x4 came in nice metallics and some had leather but they still all have that plastic dash which is really sh1te by todays standards.

I'd love one though, and some day I'll do it !

As the lads say, many were thrashed and bashed and of course stolen, they were and still are very easy to get into so if you do find one then invest in good security.

Examine the bodywork for signs of crash damage, mechanically they are pretty good though early ones suffer from head gasket failure. Plenty of fakes out there two !

I would ONLY buy from a Club member or at least one with big history !

Good luck !

Advertisement