Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to measure stem lenght??

Options
  • 16-05-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm trying to determine what length of stem my bike came with.

i think this photo shows the proper method, is this the right way yeah?
    you measure for the center of the steerer hole to the center of the handlebar hole i.e. where the black part of the stem meets the silver part in this photo?

roadposition23.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hobojojo

sxt wrote: »

cheers for that sxt, just wanted to be sure.

so i have a 120mm stem then, think i need to change to either a 100mm or 110mm, hopefully the 110 will do the job otherwise sharp turns might be more difficult with the 100mm, or so i'm told.

anyone here on a 100mm stem? how do you find sharp or fast cornering?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

120mm is quite long, traditionallly specced for a monster of a man. Small changes make quite an impact. Also consider your saddle- standard layback on a seatpost is 20mm and you can change that. Although there are other issuess there too.

I don't think you would find a major issue with a 100mm stem, 100mm is quite a normal size. How tall are you? Handling would change, yes, but 100mm is in no way extreme.

I work with a 110mm (6ft) which generally works well. I have a 130 if you want to torture yourself but unfortunately no 100mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ive a very short stem on my Dirt jumper, its definatly less than 100 anyways, personally i think it improves the mtb as I have the 110mm on my XC bike and its just about toerable.

when you are buying the stem make sure you
    -get the right size for your handlebars
    -get the stem with te righ degree of rake on it
    -and that its a 11/8"
    -and that it will fit your fork leaving enough of a gap to preload it.

blorg wrote: »

I don't think you would find a major issue with a 100mm stem, 100mm is quite a normal size. How tall are you? Handling would change, yes, but 100mm is in no way extreme.

im about 5'9 id say, maybe 5'10 with shoes on, somewhere around there anyway. yeah i think you only really notice the handling difference if you drop to a 80mm or 90mm, well i hope so anyway. my current 120mm is defo too big, i find myself having to reach forward too much when on the hoods. on the upside my shoulders are getting much bigger and stronger
    kona wrote: »
    when you are buying the stem make sure you
    -get the right size for your handlebars
    -get the stem with te righ degree of rake on it
    -and that its a 11/8"
    -and that it will fit your fork leaving enough of a gap to preload it.

yeah there's a lot to consider when buying a stem. i think ill just go to my LBS and try out a few, see which one fits. that way, i cant go wrong.

usually i advocate buying online as its much cheaper but this is something where i really need to know if it fits before i buy, so LBS it is. ill let them deal with making sure all the things you mentioned are right for my bike, ill just make sure it's comfortable.

actually im going to buy new shoes in wheelworx out in Clondalkin in the next two weeks, and ill get my new stem then.

a mate of mine paid them €30 there to have his cleat position adjusted professionally and while they were at it they swapped his stem for one that fitted him better, for free. pretty sound of them.

cheers for the advice lads

• Advertisement

I'd consider getting professionally measured and fitted- this is something I'm planning on doing at Cyclesuperstore (they have the yoke to do it.)

blorg wrote: »
    I'd consider getting professionally measured and fitted- this is something I'm planning on doing at Cyclesuperstore (they have the yoke to do it.)

what thing do they have? id be very interested in this too. is it one of them things where they put you a thing (good english) thats like a treadmill for a bike (rear wheel is up on some kind of wheel that spins) and they look at your position and form and all that?

any idea of the cost?

Unfortunately no, I don't think they actually have a jig. They use the bikefitting.com system - as far as I know they do the standard measurement as detailed on that page, the next level up is the jig. Cost is €60 which they will refund against purchase of bike or frame (unfortunately not relevant in our cases!)

I think it sounds worthwhile and plan to do it.

I don't think Wheelworx do this full measurement thing but I've heard good things about them regarding advice on fit, etc too.

BTW do you have your saddle as far forward as it will go? This is another thing you can adjust to get you closer to the bars. Also consider flipping your existing stem (presuming it is currently pointed down) which will bring the handlebars up and closer to you.

Advertisement