Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance company letter worry

Options
  • 16-05-2008 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hello

I was pricing around for insurance last month as my insurance was running out & was interested to see if I could get a better deal from another company.

So I rang a company that my friend is with, was talking to one of their employees who told me the total insurance cost, which I was happy with, so I told him I'd go with that but I'd like to get back to him. My initial reason for calling them was just to get a quote, which my friend told me insurance companies post out to you.

So I called them back later & was talking to another person and told them I'd go with the insurance. But I got a letter out from my current insurance company in the mean time, got a good deal & paid them my insurance for the next year!

So I got a letter out from the other insurance company I'd rang saying that my policy has ran out, I have to legally return any insurance disc etc I received & there is €40 due on my account which I must pay!! :confused:

Have I made a mess of this or what!? It's had me worried cause I know I more or less agreed to get my insurance from them but instead stayed with the same company. I didn't receive any insurance discs etc from them & have no idea (without ringing them) how is €40 due!?!?

If someone could give me some advice I'd be more than grateful!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Obviously they put you on cover when they shouldn't have. Just ring them up and tell them you got this letter despite only asking for a quote and you never got any disc or cert.

You don't owe them 40 yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

fifomania wrote: »
    Hello

I was pricing around for insurance last month as my insurance was running out & was interested to see if I could get a better deal from another company.

So I rang a company that my friend is with, was talking to one of their employees who told me the total insurance cost, which I was happy with, so I told him I'd go with that but I'd like to get back to him. My initial reason for calling them was just to get a quote, which my friend told me insurance companies post out to you.

So I called them back later & was talking to another person and told them I'd go with the insurance. But I got a letter out from my current insurance company in the mean time, got a good deal & paid them my insurance for the next year!

So I got a letter out from the other insurance company I'd rang saying that my policy has ran out, I have to legally return any insurance disc etc I received & there is €40 due on my account which I must pay!! :confused:

Have I made a mess of this or what!? It's had me worried cause I know I more or less agreed to get my insurance from them but instead stayed with the same company. I didn't receive any insurance discs etc from them & have no idea (without ringing them) how is €40 due!?!?

If someone could give me some advice I'd be more than grateful!! :o

Who was the second company? As said previously ring up, tell them you wanted a quote only and received no docs at all.

They should recancel your policy back to the date it went on cover and you should be sorted. if they give ya crap, say you want to complain and speak to a supervisor and youll get it sorted pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So I called them back later & was talking to another person and told them I'd go with the insurance.
    I'd say they have this on tape, so not a good idea to make out that you were only looking for a quote. But if you never received cert/disc, how can they be asking for it back?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Tell them you didnt sign any documentation regarding the policy, there mistake. They also have to get a copy of your driving licence and No Clams Discount(if any), which i'm assuming they didn't get over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Tell them you didnt sign any documentation regarding the policy, there mistake. They also have to get a copy of your driving licence and No Clams Discount(if any), which i'm assuming they didn't get over the phone.

+1

did you sign anything? guess not. their mess - give them a speech and just leave it, but talk straight to a manager, make sure he'll remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

you no longer have to sign documentation to take out a car insurance policy. the agreement can be made over the phone. Just tell them you only wanted a quote and never wanted the policy, and they should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Guys, the OP agreed to take out the insurance. Why tell her to lie when there will be a record in existence?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Hi I haven't rang the insurance company yet, i suppose the longer I leave it to sort out the worse it'll get!
    I'm seriously worried about any repurcussions over the fact that I made a verbal agreement with them to take the insurance & in case they recorded the conversation then they'll know I did agree to it!! :confused::(
    A friend said to just pay the €40 & that should get them off my back.
    Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm seriously worried about any repurcussions over the fact that I made a verbal agreement with them to take the insurance & in case they recorded the conversation then they'll know I did agree to it!!

Even if you verbally agreed to take out the insurance with them, it's reasonable for you to have assumed that they were going to send you out forms to sign, policy documentation etc. before you were actually covered. Not to mention the insurance disk.

So all you have to say is that you agreed to go with them but they never sent you any of the documents you expected, so you went with someone else, and you're not paying for insurance you had no reason to believe you had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You're not liable for this at all. Relax :D Just ring them, explain you didn't get the docs and as such your arranged alternative cover (assuming you're never going to go to the 'you owe us 40 yoyo' company and try and make a claim obv.) and they'll cancel it. They might ask you to sign something saying you arranged alternative cover and there'll be no claims, so seriously, don't worry, and more importantly don't hand over any money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

esel wrote: »
    Guys, the OP agreed to take out the insurance. Why tell her to lie when there will be a record in existence?

Doesn't matter - verbal alone doesn't constitute a contract.
    Offer, acceptance, and consideration FTW.
    Hi I haven't rang the insurance company yet, i suppose the longer I leave it to sort out the worse it'll get!
    I'm seriously worried about any repurcussions over the fact that I made a verbal agreement with them to take the insurance & in case they recorded the conversation then they'll know I did agree to it!! :confused::(
    A friend said to just pay the €40 & that should get them off my back.
    Any suggestions??

Unless money changes hands, there is no contract. You are 100% in the clear - tell them to go take a running jump. If they still give you grief, ask for the persons name and tell them you are reporting them to the financial ombudsman. If this doesn't put them off, tell them you want all further communication in writing and take it to a solicitor (I guarantee it won't go that far).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

stevec wrote: »
    Doesn't matter - verbal alone doesn't constitute a contract.
    Offer, acceptance, and consideration FTW.

Unless money changes hands, there is no contract. You are 100% in the clear - tell them to go take a running jump. If they still give you grief, ask for the persons name and tell them you are reporting them to the financial ombudsman. If this doesn't put them off, tell them you want all further communication in writing and take it to a solicitor (I guarantee it won't go that far).

OP, it took a while but you finally got some good advice.

I'm an Underwriter in the business.

An Insurance policy cannot be incepted unless there is payment or part payment. This did not happen so you are in the clear.

Even if this policy has been incepted, you are ALWAYS given a 14 Day cooling off period, in case you change your mind, wanna go with another provider or stay with you current provider. The Insurance/Financial regulator makes it mandatory for all insurance companies to offer ALL customers this cooling off period.

If you have been given a Cert & Disc, you must return it and send in a written request (Just a note with you name and request cancelation, nothing formal), they cannot cancel you policy unless requested in writing and return of C&D they are legal docs, they do need to be returned.

Just call the company, any good agent will understand what has happened, you shouldn't even need to be referred to a Super, but if you are getting nowhere, do insist to speak with one.

Advertisement