Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Martial Arts Class

Options
  • 16-05-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All,

Shuriken Jutsu classes will begin Monday May 19 at the MCR community centre in Sligo from 8.15pm - 9.45pm .

All are welcome from ages seven to seventy both male and female . Experienced Martial artisits are of course welcome but if you have never trained before , are not fit , are curious and would like to try a class then his might suit you .

The art istself is a relativly new one , it was created 25 years ago by an Irishman ( not me ) after years of cross training in other arts and years working in the security/ personal protection field .

It incorporates elements of traditional arts but also incorporates modern innovations .

As I said if you currently train in another art and would like to experience a new art alongside your own or have never trained before for whatever reason we would love to see you there .

The cost is ten euro per person ( family rates available ) and the only caveat is no watchers , the only way to experience is to try it - and dont worry you will not be beaten up !!!!

If you would like further information please mail me at shuridar"gmail.com

Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 westcoastshuri

Hi

sorry e-mail address is shuridar@gmail.com

A little more about the art also , it includes hand to hand( and feet) techniques , weapon use and defence , some Katas and forms and much more .

cheers

Darren

Times have now changed to Saturday Morning - 9.30-11 same venue

Dar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hi Darren

Do you run classes for children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Hi All,

working in the security/ personal protection field .

It incorporates elements of traditional arts but also incorporates modern innovations .

Hi Darren

He has a Security background; interesting, does it then include easy to use holds, quick put downs etc

Isnt Shuriken Jutsu the name of Ninja throwing blades art/skill?

Cheers

Hi ElShambo

Yes the art does include Locks , Hold , take downs etc .

And yes a Shuriken would refer to a throwing star , the reason for the name is that the art incorporates a circular movement base , constant state of movement and one of its core fundamentals is to always "attack an attack" - Like a Shuriken :)

Hi Sueme yes children are welcome ,min age 7 I should point out its a fairly new club for the town so its small enough at the moment .

Hope that helps .

Darren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Er...weapon use?

Er... obviously not for the kids :D

Seriously ,like a lot of arts it has a comprehensive syllabus and naturally some elements are dependant on the students maturity , experience etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

hi Darren,
    Can you tell me more about the grappling element? Is is Brizillian Jiu Jitsu / Traditional Jiu Jitsu / Aikido?
    Also the stand up, is it Karate or Kick boxing, etc?

Cheers,
    Hail

Hello Hail

In terms of grappling I should point out that we dont engage in grappling on the ground ( though to be fair we should as it is a range I feel that needs to be covered - we are working on it )

We strike similar to Karate / kick boxing but also employ locks and holds and movement techniques similar to Jujutsu and Aikido .

If your in Sligo why not try a class as describing it here probably doesnt do anyone any justice

Hope this helps

Dar

Hi all

following the Festive season break classes resume this coming Saturday , Jan 10th ( MCR CENTRE , SAT 9.30-11 )

Wishing all a happy new Year

Darren

• Advertisement
Advertisement