Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Managment

Options
  • 16-05-2008 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

So at nineteen years of age,
    Ive been thinking about someday owning my own home/ apartment,

And was looking for advice on the best way to start saving,
    Seeing as I live in limerick, I'm looking for the advice of fellow limerick folk.

Im with permanent tsb, as I were told they'd be good for student loans.

See Im sort of clueless when it comes to money management,
    But I want to be independant and start saving early.

any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Set up a direct debit to a savings account for your payday (I'm not aware of any great savings products with PTSB though), did it when I was back doing the Leaving and it pays for my car insurance every year if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Have to agree with ninty9er you dont notice the money leaving your account after a while. As for the being with Permanent TSB because they are good for student loans I have to call bullsh** all banks throw money at students not just TSB. Im just after geting €2000 interest free from BOI for 9 months. As far as I know thats the best deal though I could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

You could try looking at the askaboutmoney.com website as there are loads of people giving advice there about what to do with your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

This might be better answered in the Banking / Insurance / Pensions forum

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Seeing as I live in limerick, I'm looking for the advice of fellow limerick folk.
    I don't think the advice of Limerick folk will be any different to the advice of the rest of the country (we're no better or worse at saving).

I'm moving this to where I hope you will get more useful responses....
    (I'm looking at you, RINO87!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Cleaned up OT posts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

So at nineteen years of age,
    Ive been thinking about someday owning my own home/ apartment,

And was looking for advice on the best way to start saving,

Im with permanent tsb, as I were told they'd be good for student loans.

See Im sort of clueless when it comes to money management,
    But I want to be independant and start saving early.

any advice?

Money management is not rocket science. Find out how much you can live on (without having to resort to eating pasta for breakfast :) ) and stick to it. By right you should be saving approx 15% of your salary in to a savings a/c / pension. It might be no harm to think about a pension. Granted you are only 19, but you can never start too early.

BTW, I'm not sure who said PTSB was good for student loans..... They're not even a student friendly bank. Quite possibly the best student bank is BOI with Ulster following and then AIB. 2k interest free for 9 months is nothing to be sneezed about.

Advertisement