Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If you could invent an Irish driving system from scratch, what would you propose?

Options
  • 16-05-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Pretty much what it says on the title! For example would you have a system like America, where driver's education is taught in schools? Or New Zealand, where even after you pass your driving test, your licence is restricted for X amount of years? Over there you can't drive after a certain time at night if you are on a restricted licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I'd make the test challenging, lasting for 2 hours and include motorway driving in it too. Once passed the test your on a probation for 2 years, if you are at fault in a crash, you lose your license and have to resit the test.

I'd phase this in immediately for learners, and require that within 5 years EVERYONE else would also have to take this new test. Then have it on a repeating basis every 10 years.

Should weed out some nervous dawdlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Drive on the right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mandatory driver education from secondary school level, like Driver Z in the US...as seen in Saved by the Bell...Slater was class at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

There's a lot more to a "driving system" than just how you get your licence. Are you wanting us to rewrite the rules of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cionád wrote: »
    I'd make the test challenging, lasting for 2 hours and include motorway driving in it too. Once passed the test your on a probation for 2 years, if you are at fault in a crash, you lose your license and have to resit the test.

I'd phase this in immediately for learners, and require that within 5 years EVERYONE else would also have to take this new test. Then have it on a repeating basis every 10 years.

somethin like that would be good but how many drivers would ya get driving unlicenced
    Drive on the right

that would be mayhem cos nearly all the cars are right hand drive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mandotory lessons. Maybe 10 hours if you apply for a B licence for example. No more learning from Uncle Joe who started when there were no roundabouts.
    Oh, and a list of qualified instructors who are held to high standards. There are a few advanced tests you can take.

Yes it's a big expense but insurance companies can reward people who pass their test with mega discounts.
    And if needs be, it can be subsidised by letting students in secondary school take a few lessons at the State's expense

But I expect 1-2 hours to be taken on two wheels. I'm not asking a person who wants a car licence to learn how to work gears on a motorcycle, sure a scooter is adequate.

Drivers who drive bikes and cars often have more awareness. It's not because they are cleverer, it's just because they have to in order to avoid accidents. I think letting car drivers trying to drive from a bikes perspective would be benefical. It's only a few hours so it's not a major change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Theory test to be compulsory in transition year, or 5th year for schools that don't have transition year.

Compulsory lessons by an appropriately qualified driving instructor in a car with dual controls. Must do this until such time as candidate can pass driving test.

AFAIK in Germany there are separate tests for different parts of driving e.g. a test for the Autobahn, country roads etc. We should bring in that idea too.

There was a time when I thought it was a good idea to let learners drive on Motorways. Now, being a bit older and wise, I realise that is perfectly right that learners are kept off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Cionád wrote: »

aw jeez. the damned test is hard enough already

and mandatory lessons is just another scam. as if its not expensive enough already to drive a car/ get a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Anyone caught hogging the overtaking lane should be banned for life, the same goes for slow drivers who have more than two cars held up behind them, they should be obliged to pull in and let the cars behind overtake them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

junkyard wrote: »
    Anyone caught hogging the overtaking lane should be banned for life, the same goes for slow drivers who have more than two cars held up behind them, they should be obliged to pull in and let the cars behind overtake them.

great idea. nothing worse than a do-gooder who thinks he's doing the world a favour by driving just under the speed limit in the fast lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

towel401 wrote: »
    aw jeez. the damned test is hard enough already

and mandatory lessons is just another scam. as if its not expensive enough already to drive a car/ get a license.

the test isnt hard i passed when i was 18 first time around and lessons should be compulsory before ya can get a provisional, how many people just get a licence and jump in a car and away they go, the lessons should be from instructors who have a qualification to teach how to drive, my cousin was gettin lessons off some lad she got 10 and he never thought her how to park or reverse, what sort of a joke is that, it should be the same as a c or d licence, i'm gettin lessons for a truck have my test on the 29th(fingers crossed) and no one would let ya drive a truck until ya have a full licence, i know theres a big difference beteen a car and a truck but it's kinda the same, ya should have to learn how to drive the vehicle before ya can legally drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Mandatory driver education from secondary school level, like Driver Z in the US...as seen in Saved by the Bell...Slater was class at it!

It's "drivers ed" as in, drivers education. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's "drivers ed" as in, drivers education. :)

Ha ha, forgot that - was about 10 when I last saw that episode and it just came to mind when I read this thread. How bout that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Balfa wrote: »
    There's a lot more to a "driving system" than just how you get your licence. Are you wanting us to rewrite the rules of the road?

No, just a system that gets people who have never driven before, to fully licensed on any road.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

junkyard wrote: »

a big X2. nothing worse than these eejits who think its their obligation to make sure everyone else is driving the limit by holding up the right lane :mad:.

really needs to become a penalty points offense IMO.

Advertisement