Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course transfer LM113/LM114

Options
  • 16-05-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, i'm doing my leaving this year and I have applied to do "Music, media and performance technology" (LM114) and "Digital media design" (LM113) in University Limerick.

I was wondering, if i don't get into Music and i do get into Media can i then transfer to music in second year? And if so, could i go straight to second year or would i have to do 1st year in Music aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

u hav t do first year again u might b able t change before xmas of first year but maybe not

also make sure you know what your getting into if you apply to mmpt there are NO jobs around in the field that most people who do the course want to work in

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Iammwa

So its easy to transfer from Media to Music? I dont care about doing 1st year again, its better than repeating!! :p

you will need to get certain grades in your exams unless you have the cao points for the course you want to transfer into i think its a 2.6qca which again i think is a b3 average

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yes but afaik you'll have to pay fees if you do first year of another course again. Which will be ~€5000

ye u will defo have to pay fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Hi,
    Yeah, As peak output says you can transfer no bother provide you meet the following criteria.

2.65 average on Qca
    No compensating fails - ie no results less than a c3.
    And can put forward a good case to the lecturers.

As a person who has just completed first year of music media and performance tech i fell i should tell you the following.

MMPT is NOT an easy course.
    1st semester you will face.

Maths harder than leaving cert higher

Perceptual systems - basically biology related to senses etc.

Imperative programming - very tough but extremely important for 2nd year material such as max/msp and macCsound etc.

Introduction to Digital Media - This is basically the history of digital media - the likes of vannevar bush etc.

And lastly digital media systems and software - this is the only module directly related to our course in first semester - It's a fantastic module.

2nd semester - more of the same but better.

More maths - integration/factorials etc.

Representation & Modeling - Lots of computer stuff such as binary/hex how computers store data etc etc.

Digital instrument fundementals - More of the same as digital media systems and software - Midi/Sample Players & Music Theory

If you are coming on the antipication of sitting in a studio all day think again otherwise it's great.

HTH
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Iammwa

Ya I know its not sitting in a studio all day. I know in their second year and he told me theres no studio time till half way through second year. I'm good at math and I love computer programming! thats why I chose the course, not for the cool jobs it can get but the cool stuff you learn while your there! :)

i did pass maths for the leaving and thought the maths was ridicolously easy its just a matter of studying and getting over the **** lecturer

perceptual is a load of cock

for programming you will either get it or you wont but to be honest the lecturer knows how hard mmpt and dmd students find it and does her best to help out(i think i was one 0f 3 to pass it at xmas out of my class)

i wouldnt worry too much about not being in the studio that much but i cant emphasize enough the lack of job opportunities in the industry i did the 3 years trying to do the sound engineer / music production thing and now im back in first year doing a vaguely related course(that i do really like) but i wish someone explained to me the fact that music is a hobby in ireland when i was leaving school

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fleaman08

well any of ye in the mmpt course??? i hav it as my first choice and was wonderin was the hours are like... i no wat the course involves and i am realy interested...

Yep, I'm in it!!!

Just completed first year - really enjoyed it!!!

Hours are grand - less 20hrs total but u don't "really" have to go to all your tutorials etc if your good at given module, so You'll probably have about 16hrs a week which is nothing compared to those architects with their 35hrs!!!

• Advertisement

ye it sounds like a realy good course and hope i get it... its first on my cao den maynooth and athlone... realy hope i get limrick do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I don't mean to be on a downer but unless you typed the above posts on a phone then you've got a full keyboard in front of you. Is it really necessary to leave out letters all over the place?

Thank **** bd isn't here she'd have a conniption after reading what you just typed.

ye im on my iphone right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I really want to take the course for the work experience but I have heard more bad than good about this course so I plan to take the one in the IT as it is more practical.

There aint much work experience unless u can arrange it yourself - very few of the 2nd years got anything!!!

Well that makes me feel much better!

Yeah, Your probably right to choose the LIT course then if your going for the work experience bit, unless you have some contacts yourself.

I"m lucky in a way that i've got a good few references and have been working in the live sound industry for about 4yrs now, 4 years in which i've been given some great opportunities!!!

But, Saying that - The UL course is spot on we have got some top notch lecturers who are extremely helpful with regards to any area of the course and business in general- picking equipment to purchase etc

Hope this helps
    Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I'm after applying for the Digital Media Design course this year and was just wondering what's it like?

ye i applied for lm114... booked accomidation!!! lucky to get it cos it was booked out fairly quickly...

I'm after applying for the Digital Media Design course this year and was just wondering what's it like?

Ya, It's supposed to be not bad - They current 2nd years(going into 3rd year) class only has 7 people in it.

I know one or two people who have just completed first year and they seem happy enough, although u don't get much access to computer in first year AFAIK, All theory stuff

Fleaman - Hope u get mmpt - i'm going into 2nd year and it's great!!!

Alan

• Advertisement

Ye?? many in ur year?? is the course full??

There was 75 at the start - now were in low 30's

To be honest - many people didn't read course description and as such didn't realise most of the stuff involved was technical, But i'd say whoever is left will be here for good!!!

ok cool sounds good... just lookin for da b3 in da maths and i shud be on my way... assumin der isnt way to many applied for it...

Fleaman08 wrote: »
    ok cool sounds good... just lookin for da b3 in da maths and i shud be on my way... assumin der isnt way to many applied for it...

Well last year it went from 330 to 365 so I can only imagine the points are going to rise.

Digiking, on another forum I was on earlier also said the same thing, it's all about who you know and not much about what you know in sound engineering these days.

mars bar wrote: »
    it's all about who you know and not much about what you know in sound engineering these days.

the problem(not so much a problem for bands as it is for people wanting to be engineers) is that the ratio of really talented people to jobs in the industry is waaaaay too big. especially in ireland

iv repeated myself countless times in a number of forums on this subject and the bottom line is dont go into ANY course in sound engineering / music production and expect to have a job at the end of it

if you know what your getting into its good

we had 35 at the start of year and i imagine it will be between 15 and 20 come september (there were 5 i think in second year this year)

NONE of the modules are that difficult in first year if you do a small bit of work accept for programming i passed it but most didnt they are however taking it off the course next year and replacing it with another programming module which is meant to be more 'relevant' but dont know if it will be easier or not. i hate maths and did pass maths for leaving but with a week of study i didnt fail maths at xmas and im pretty sure i passed in summer too

if you have any questions i dont mind trying to answer

heres the bebo page http://www.bebo.com/UL-DMD
    u probably wont get much responce there during the summer but you might get a few opinions from people who didnt like the course which might help you

Advertisement