Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising/Marketing advice

Options
  • 16-05-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi All,

I would like to know how to approach a compay with an idea.
    Basically I have an idea that I believe would enhance the sales of a companies products and I was wondering how to approach them....if they allow this of course.

Do you have to work for an advertising agency in order to run an idea ast the top people in the company(if you get to see them that is).

Alternatively, do you need to first approach an advertising company so they can go to the company with/for you.

I'm just trying to get a feel for this as its something I have been interested in for some time.

Thanks in adavnce,

Slimbo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

A lot depends on who you're trying to sell the idea to. If it's a small company, then you'll find it easy enough to get meetings. If however, you're trying to enhance the sales capabilities of a massive company, then you're going to run into a series of brick walls on an ongoing basis.

Do a bit of digging around and find out who the marketing manager/MD of the company is and see if you can find an 'in' with them through friends or colleagues. The business world in Ireland is small enough in global terms, and lots of people know other people, so that might be one route. If they're a bigger company, I would suggest searching a site like Linkedin.com to see if you can get connected to senior staff within the company. I find Linkedin really really useful for work. I've used it to connect with everyone from random punters I was in school with to senior execs in major US media/movie companies.

If all else fails, then go to the company's PR or advertising agency, but be prepared for them to try and shaft you. It's in their best interest to have a monopoly on all the good ideas for company x, so be wary if they start asking too many detailed questions about your idea/plan.

Hope that's of some help. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me...

Advertisement