Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My funny cycling incident.............

Options
  • 16-05-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

So,

I get home from work early, delighted with myself that for once in my life I have not done a stupid 10 hour work day plus an hour in and out commute, only to realise that I have brought home keys that I should'nt have and they need to be returned pronto........ I now have a dilemna, get in quick on the car and then sit in the traffic or grab the bike,

So I hop on and am booting it towards UCD, slowing at the lights as they are going red, they go green so off I go again, in the cycle lane where I am "supposed" to be,

I glance up and see a bus, unsure of whether he sees me I slow, then he slows, so I have it in my head I am gonna stop and nod him on, this nice bus driver is giving me the nod to go on. So I start going, then he starts moving, I look at him, he looks at me. Then in all my glory, at a bus stop packed full of people I fall over unable to get my foot away from the pedal quick enough to release the cleat, and record the slowest moving crash of all time. I am in stitches at the whole thing and the bus driver is completely confused, says sorry and waves me on. The whole time I am actually nearly crying with laughter thinking of what it looked like to others,

(also had a funny shout/roar/bark moment on the dual carriageway at john of Gods roaring at a pedestrian who seemed to think that a pedal bike at 40km would not hurt him when it him)

Cycling, man I cant wait to give up these triathlons...... :D:D

(I apologise if this was not entertaining, or amusing, but I thought I would share, if anyone needs these few minutes back please contact me and I will endeavour to help you out)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Well I found it funny anyway.

All this talk of crashing is almost putting me off getting a bike. Almost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

My cleat disengagement crash was actually slower than yours gabgab but then I had already stopped for a red light before I fell over. Great laugh altogether!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Forky wrote: »
    Well I found it funny anyway.

All this talk of crashing is almost putting me off getting a bike. Almost.
    Buy one!!! BUY ONE!!!! I would be so tempted to get a cheapo racer and making it into a tidy little fixy that is tough and I can cycle to the pub and lock to the railings,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

yea - I was stopped when I fell over too. funny when the girl in the car beside me jumped out to see if I was ok to find me upside down in stiches laughing - she said " I take it your ok then "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I fell out at deansgrange about a month or two ago. Nearly middle of the junction, traffic on all 4 sides and under the full glare of headlights I toppled over.

Like the OP says, all you can do is laugh! Mostly because anyone who doesnt cycle will think you are a grade-A plonker for not sticking a leg out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fortunately not an incident, but cycling from Walkinstown to Terenure on the recent sunny Sunday (about 2 weeks ago), I had a slight downward slope, the wind to my back and was pedalling at a rather gentle pace. As I passed a car I said "I'm going faster than you" to the front passenger. She said "I know". To which the male driver floored the accelerator without changing gear, his pride dented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Surely that's just asking for trouble? ;-)
    That said, I've been tempted to do the same while commuting (going 10kph up a cycle lane to the left of a hundred cars going 0kph)

Definitely agree about the commute part, if the boss would install a shower and let us be a touch more casual I would cycle in definitely. Although without cleats :D:D I would be home in the same time and would of done some nice steady exercise day in day out, which is fantastic for overall health...... Until then its motorbike time, wahoooo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

That's basically why I do it.
    I'm no cyclist by a long shot (in the 'cycling enthusiast' sense of the word), but I can get from Glasnevin to Baggot st in 20-30 mins, and the same back. If i bussed it i'd need to leave ~40 mins earlier to make it in for 9, and i'd just be getting less and less healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

At least you can laugh about it and you didn't get hurt.
    Im sorry but I think i would have burst me arse laughing if i'd seen that.!

I've had a few falls like that before.!

• Advertisement

I would not blame you, it must of looked ridiculous and hilarious!! Reckon if I do start cycling into town it will be just the pedals and a set of runners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

My cleat incident was unclipping on the left and falling on the right. I fell over next to a 70 year old lady in a micra, with a D4 tractor behind with all the kids staring out the window. They had some worried looks on their faces. Can't understand why!!

Advertisement