Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prelude- mild splutter.

Options
  • 16-05-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Any known common reasons why a '97 Prelude (75k) might have an engine splutter?? It's not there all the time, it's not that bad at all and it's mainly under acceleration regardless of whether it's hot or cold.

My sister just bought it and it's just had a new cat, which was shot, but I'd hoped it would sort the problem but it's no much better, really.

The car had been laid up for quite a while, btw.

Comments

HT leads and spark plugs might be where I would start.

Its possible the HT leads are worn and voltage is arcing between the leads under high load (ie acceleration).
    Having the plugs for examination wouldn't hurt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Cheers mate. Checked plugs and they're like new.

Is there a way of checking the leads without just going and buying new ones? She's in College and really to the pin of her collar (despite the relatively flash car) and bruv has already footed the bill for the cat:p so you know what happens next!!!

If you can see them sometimes its possible to see the voltage arcing between the cables in the dark.

Pop the bonnet and get someone to rev the car hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

It's probably the distributor, specifically the coil which is built in. The Achilles heel with Hondas of that era.

Advertisement