Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used PHP-GTK

Options
  • 16-05-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Has anyone used PHP-GTK. I just discovered this a few days ago when researching GUI stuff for a project.

I am very interested in this. I must create a GUI application that will graph something from a process but the problem is the process is doing major cryptography so processor usage is at 100% constant. Just wondering the performance from PHP-GTK.

I was going to do it in Java but I don't think this would be the best idea with performance in mind but maybe someone could disagree with me there.
    Bare in mind the app must run on Linux.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Hi There,

Has anyone used PHP-GTK. I just discovered this a few days ago when researching GUI stuff for a project.

I am very interested in this. I must create a GUI application that will graph something from a process but the problem is the process is doing major cryptography so processor usage is at 100% constant. Just wondering the performance from PHP-GTK.

I was going to do it in Java but I don't think this would be the best idea with performance in mind but maybe someone could disagree with me there.
    Bare in mind the app must run on Linux.

Cheers.

I use gnuplot. Very satisfactory results. The graphs are top quality. I use image magic to convert the .eps to .png format.

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.3/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yes gnuplot was what I was checking out before I hit GTK - problem is this gui application has to update the graph real time but only maybe every few seconds.

I could of course use GNU Plot to keep generating the image in background and keep refreshing it in the GUI application.

Yes gnuplot was what I was checking out before I hit GTK - problem is this gui application has to update the graph real time but only maybe every few seconds.

I could of course use GNU Plot to keep generating the image in background and keep refreshing it in the GUI application.

Is it a web GUI application?

To avoid polling, why don't you do a server push to the application whenever the data on the server changes? You could then refresh the graph using XMLHttpRequest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

No this is not a web application, its going to be a Linux GUI application.

I won't be polling Id say - more running the process from the GUI app, and waiting for a response from it which will update the graph.

It needs to use as little resources as possible, might just use GTK in C, about as low level as I can go.

No this is not a web application, its going to be a Linux GUI application.

I won't be polling Id say - more running the process from the GUI app, and waiting for a response from it which will update the graph.

It needs to use as little resources as possible, might just use GTK in C, about as low level as I can go.

Hi Webmonkey,

I think that might be a good solution if speed is of the essence.

I wrote a Python GUI in wxWidgets and connected it to gnuplot. The graph creation time wasn't 100% satisfactory (I was plotting a medium amount of data arranged in cvs format). Also the .eps to .png time using imagemagic took up a couple of milliseconds. When a user pressed a button, the refresh time was a bit longer than I was expecting.

gnuplot's great for scientific reports etc. and I actually prefer using it compared to what I used to use, MATLAB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement