Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeze wiring?

Options
  • 16-05-2008 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

can anyone help me, I have breeze 3mb, I was sharing it with my housemate, but he left back to his home country and CUT the internet cable and took the plug with him!!(can you believe that?) I have a 10 pack of spare Rj45:s but the standard layout(A or B) didn't get me connected, could few people having a breeze check out if they have some special layout or is it just depending about the engineer installing.

so just check your plug and colors from left to right or something.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

zjman wrote: »
    Hi,

can anyone help me, I have breeze 3mb, I was sharing it with my housemate, but he left back to his home country and CUT the internet cable and took the plug with him!!(can you believe that?) I have a 10 pack of spare Rj45:s but the standard layout(A or B) didn't get me connected, could few people having a breeze check out if they have some special layout or is it just depending about the engineer installing.

so just check your plug and colors from left to right or something.

If it's a normal straight through cable, then the order of wires is the same on each end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zjman

if the second end is up on a roof with no access how am I suppose to check it? I wish it would be that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

zjman wrote: »
    if the second end is up on a roof with no access how am I suppose to check it? I wish it would be that easy.

I have seen several breeze connections wired different ways, not the usual standard way so you would have to be able to get a look at the plug in the antenna.

Now I feel a bit stupid, found the POE box which I was ment to use, gives 55V and 1Amps, am wondering would I dare to try it out with standard wiring or would it blow up the antenna if mis connected ;) someone could check the cable actually, if I find few of A or B standards I could just try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'll have to get them out. While it should be standard wiring
    Middle Pins a pair (likely power)
    a pair either side of middle
    a pair at each end.

anything is possible.
    I'd not take the risk and I can wire straight or cross-over cables out of my head and get the colours right.

This is a good site: http://pinouts.ru/

Type B "straight through" is the normal standard. I've never seen type A.

FYI, OT:
    For a cross overcable, one end is type B, and at the the other end you swap Green pair (either side of middle pins) with Orange pair (at edge). Normally you swap Blue and Brown pairs too, but maybe not if it used for POE. A Cross over cable only used to connect two network cards direct without a hub or a switch. Switch/Hub/Routers are mostly auto now so can link direct to each other without a crossover or reversed (PC type) "upstream port".

Type B
    http://pinouts.ru/NetworkCables/Ethernet10BaseTStraightThru_pinout.shtml

utp_colors.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

1. white and orange
    2. orange
    3. white and green
    4. blue
    5. white and blue
    6. green
    7. white an d brown
    8. brown

This is the way IBB engineers are trained to install the connections but have seen them done at least four different ways, however this would be the most common so I would try it first.

Yes, that is Standard "B" wiring.
    But if it has power, then best to get IBB to fix it. Especially as sometimes it is not wired that way.

Hey,

a bit more info needed. I did try the B-pinout. I can get the network connection to come up and traffic led flashing in either router or POE but not with both.

should connection rise right away or does it take time to connect? any ideas?

You might need a PPPoE logon I think in your router or PC ethernet properties (if it isn't actually a full router but part of modem).

[Edit: probably thinking of a different fixed wireless system]
    Your individual IP address given to you by Irish Broadband (IBB)
    must now be added to the settings in your hardware.
    But you DO need the correct Static IP address from IBB. DHCP won't give a connection

breeze install guide http://www.irishbroadband.ie/documents/breezeinstallguide.pdf
    does not say anything about PPPoE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No,

Breeze will give you the IP straight away. If not, something is wrong. No PPPoE etc. is needed.

/Martin

I have static ip and ip-setting are alright, I asked IBB for help with wiring and asked about price of onsite but there is some nontechnical sales guy answering my emails :D

I think I'll try with B-standard once again when have time, I got the connection leds lit so something has to be right anyways. If you got more advices I am happy to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

As far as I know if someone has damanged their equipment they'll send an engineer out but there will be a callout charge.

Why not just call tech support and get their opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Ok wire the connection as outlined in my previous post, plug it into the radio port on the P.O.E, then get a crossover cable and connect from P.O.E directly to laptop/p.c and power up both laptop/p.c and Ibb's P.O.E.

It takes about a minute for their radio to boot so after a minute provided your p.c is also fully booted there should be two lights on the P.O.E, the power light and the eth light.

At this point go to the network connections on your p.c and enter the i.p's u have in the Local Area Connection and then repair the connection, it should come up as connected.

If it does not work after the above call their tech support with the radio powered up as they may be able to fix it remotely, (they can log into the radio from the office and switch off connectivity for non payment etc, have seen it done by someone in there by mistake) otherwise they will have to call-out to repair it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Also,

take a dump in a box and send it to the guy that guy that cut the plug off in a first place.

What an a-hole.

Advertisement