Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 5 Xbox games of the last generation

• 16-05-2008 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Apologies if this topic has been suggested before (I'd say it has) but I couldn't find it and I'm interested in what the rest of you think. Mine are:

1. Knights of the Old Republic (The Star Wars world brought perfectly to life)
    2. Half Life 2 (more so a PC game but still... The pinnacle of FPS's?)
    3. Halo 2 (just pips the original based solely on the online multiplayer)
    4. GTA: Vice City (The finest GTA to date? I haven't played 4. Yet)
    5. Ninja Gaiden (Beautiful, visceral and and hard as nails!)

Of course, the order of those games may change on any given day. Plus I think Half Life 2 is better than KOTOR. Its just that with my twisted logic I've penalised it here for not being a real Xbox game.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ninja Gaiden
    Pes
    Halo2
    Rally Sport2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

1. beyond good and evil
    2. halo
    3. jet set radio
    4. sudeki
    5. metal arms

subs... fable,amped 1 or 2,kotor,burnout 3,chronicles of riddick,pgr 1 or 2,rallisport ... mmm where to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

wilser wrote: »
    1. beyond good and evil
    2. halo
    3. jet set radio
    4. sudeki
    5. metal arms

subs... fable,amped 1 or 2,kotor,burnout 3,chronicles of riddick,pgr 1 or 2,rallisport ... mmm where to stop?

Woah, I would have stopped at no. 4. Sudeki? I'm very surprised. :eek: Interesting combat but apart from that I thought it was pretty generic in terms of art and storyline. In terms of action RPG hybrids surely Fable was superior?

Good to see JSR and BG&E getting a mention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not one mention of Panzer Dragoon Orta yet borefest Halo 2 gets a nod? You can all **** right off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cos everyone had it right? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not one mention of Panzer Dragoon Orta yet borefest Halo 2 gets a nod? You can all **** right off!

I think your enjoyment of Halo 2 depends on how much you get out of the multiplayer, particularly the online element. For me it way my first foray into online gaming and I absolutely loved it. I played it an awful lot. Great with your mates. 4 v 4. Taking on a load of gobby american kids. Losing horribly. Abusing them afterwards... Ah yeah, good times...

Now all Bungie have to do is remake Hang 'Em High (Halo 1) and Ivory Tower (Halo 2) for Halo 3 and I'll be a very happy camper*.

*I don't camp... Unless absolutely necessary...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Greatest RPG: Mass Effect (its basically KOTOR on steroids).

Greatest FPS: HL2

Greatest Live Arcade: Catan or Carcasonne (I likes me board games :) )

Greatest Driving Game: Forza 2.

Most innovative: Assassin's Creed.

If you dont own those 5, you are really missing out.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

My personal favs were:

Kotor: Just an awesome game, brilliant plot

Burnout 3: After about 18 years of gaming this was the first racing-driving game i truely enjoyed and loved

Mechassualt 1/2: Personal choice here, I love big stompy robots and these games were pretty much the only show in town.

Halo: The second was just a big dissapointment to me really

Baldurs gate: A really fun, and pretty at the time, dungeon crawl game, espically when played with a mate.

Crimson skies: This would be my number one choice, I love the whole 1930s sky pilot theme, and the game play rocks, mainly because you can do a quick barrel roll on the spot instead of flying off for half a mile like any other flying game.

Splinter Cell 3:I loved the whole idea behind the first two games, but i hated the fact you were given two bullets per mission and if somebody saw you it was game over. This one made it a bit easier and gave you a knife so that you could stab your way through the whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

DeVore wrote: »
    Greatest RPG: Mass Effect (its basically KOTOR on steroids).

Greatest FPS: HL2

Greatest Live Arcade: Catan or Carcasonne (I likes me board games :) )

Greatest Driving Game: Forza 2.

Most innovative: Assassin's Creed.

If you dont own those 5, you are really missing out.

DeV.
    Psst, read the thread title again.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

KOTOR

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

GTA Vice City (best gta to date IMO)

Chronicals of Riddick

PGR 2

A bit of everything there, RPG, sneak 'em up, sandbox, FPS and racing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Surely Deus Ex number 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

1) KOTOR: my personal favourite on the XBox

2) Halo: blew me away when I first played it. I'd never played a FPS before.

3) Psychonauts: pure class

4) JSRF: Loved the original and this was even better

5) Panzer Dragoon Orta: Graphically probably the best game of the last generation (although I'm sure this is a very subjective topic). Great soundtrack to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Woah, I would have stopped at no. 4. Sudeki? I'm very surprised. :eek: Interesting combat but apart from that I thought it was pretty generic in terms of art and storyline. In terms of action RPG hybrids surely Fable was superior?

Good to see JSR and BG&E getting a mention.

have to say that sudeki was the first of its type of game that i really enjoyed.. cant stand any of that that final fantasy sh*t
    also forgot to mention either of the oddworld games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think your enjoyment of Halo 2 depends on how much you get out of the multiplayer, particularly the online element. For me it way my first foray into online gaming and I absolutely loved it. I played it an awful lot. Great with your mates. 4 v 4. Taking on a load of gobby american kids. Losing horribly. Abusing them afterwards... Ah yeah, good times...

Now all Bungie have to do is remake Hang 'Em High (Halo 1) and Ivory Tower (Halo 2) for Halo 3 and I'll be a very happy camper*.

*I don't camp... Unless absolutely necessary...

To be perfectly honest while the xbox live service is second to none Halo 2 when it came out was a pale imitation of any online deathmatch game that had appeared on PC over five years ago. Rainbow Six 3 was a much more modern and totally superior experience but the popularity of Halo 2 kept it out of the limelight. Single player in Halo 2 was an absolute travesty.

Panzer Dragoon Orta on the other hand was an superb single player experience. It also had one of the most well thought out and emotional moments of any game I've experienced. The only problem with this was that anyone who hadn't played Panzer Dragoon Saga would miss the significance of it (all two of us including me would get it :) ) but lets just say that if you understood it, it would be hard to hold back the tears.

Halo 2 had the same affect on me. It seemed that after we got off tje missions on earth the game degeneratrd into one continuous 'library' level with the disgraceful flood which should have died with the first game which had me welling up with tears for all the wrong reasons.

Single player in Halo 2 was an absolute travesty.

...with the disgraceful flood which should have died with the first game which had me welling up with tears for all the wrong reasons.

Travesty? Exaggerating for effect i think. The single player was far from a travesty. Not a patch on the first game which was (quite simply) revolutionary. And the introduction of the Flood in the original is still one of my favourite gaming moments. They scared the sh*t out of me.

Panzer Dragoon Orta on the other hand was an superb single player experience. It also had one of the most well thought out and emotional moments of any game I've experienced. The only problem with this was that anyone who hadn't played Panzer Dragoon Saga would miss the significance of it (all two of us including me would get it :) ) but lets just say that if you understood it, it would be hard to hold back the tears.

What moment was that? I've never played the game other than the demo. Didn't realise it had any story at all. I'm intrigued...

Well as I said it has a pretty good story but if you hadn't played panzer dragoon saga on the saturn it wouldn't make much sense unfortunately. Saga's ending was pretty wide open but Orta wraps it up perfectly. Bloody brilliant game though, probably just ahead of Ninja Gaiden for my all time favourite xbox game.

As for Halo 2 it really was a travesty. The flood featured in almost all the levels and they should have been left out completely since they were just no fun at all to fight in the first game. As for the story, utter garbage. Halo had a nice simple sci-fi storyline but Halo2 thought it was a deep evocative space opera and completely failed due to it taking itself far too seriously when all it was really doing was retelling the storyline of space invaders. And I don't know what happened to the soundtrack, piss poor.

Calling Halo revolutionary is really pushing it considering what was available on the PC at the time. It introduced weapon limits and rechargable health and thats really it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

KOTOR1
    Forza Motorsport 1
    GTA Vice City
    Rainbow 6 Black Arrow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
    Psychonauts
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Beyond Good & Evil (played it on PS2 but probably still one of the best games on Xbox too)
    Chronicles of Riddick

Not really that many AAA titles on the original Xbox, but it did have some of the best Western produced games of last gen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Halo,
    Crimson Skies,
    Star Wars; Knights of the Old Republic,
    Metal Arms, finished this edition of the game, loved it as much as Halo!
    Steel Batallion, WOW!
    PGR2, awesome driver, still magnificent.

Great machine, killed off before it's time, feckin' Microsoft!

• Advertisement

It was way ahead of the Gamecube and PS2 in terms of power, it's really a pity that most of the games were just PS2 ports or never really took full advantage of the machines. Games like Ninja Gaiden and Panzer Dragoon Orta are very close graphically to many current gen games and Halo 2 while having a pathetic framerate used many of the graphical tricks that the current gen of consoles are now using.

Calling Halo revolutionary is really pushing it considering what was available on the PC at the time. It introduced weapon limits and rechargable health and thats really it.

In terms of console shooters I think it was revolutionary. You're right in saying that a lot PC games offered similar levels of quality in certain areas (and superior in many respects) but the PC has always been the domain of the FPS.

As a console shooter it really set the bar. The weapon limits and rechargable health are the two main gameplay devices to come from the game and be adopted elsewhere. Vehicles were very well incorporated into the gameplay. Level design was also excellent with the exception of some repetition of environments e.g. The Library. The 2nd level, the Assault on the Control Room and the final level stll rank very highly in my all-time favourite gaming moments. The overall standard of the game (graphics, sound, multiplayer, AI) was a benchmark for many years and to a certain extent still is for developers.

(Its still no Half Life 2 though)

Advertisement