Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temple Bar Food Market

• 16-05-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Have any of you been to the Temple Bar Food Market? I see it's on tomorrow morning from 10am. Is it worth my while going in to?

Having been to many food markets in Paris I don't expect this to be as good as those but is it anyway comparable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

yea it nice, I have enjoyed it

But it has been Criticism as the there have been a disproportionate number of non-Irish producers as apposed to them supporting local producers.

Another very good one when it on is farmleigh, here is al link http://www.farmleigh.ie/foodmarket.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

The Temple Bar Market has good cheese. Sometimes there's a place that serves oysters and stout, which might even be an advance on Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

oblivious wrote: »
    yea it nice, I have enjoyed it

But it has been Criticism as the there have been a disproportionate number of non-Irish producers as apposed to them supporting local producers.

Another very good one when it on is farmleigh, here is al link http://www.farmleigh.ie/foodmarket.htm

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Farmleigh one.

Also here is a link to Irish farmers markets for a whole load of others that are around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I don't suppose this is due to deliberate discrimination against Irish producers so much as the legacy of hundreds of years of celebrating the culinary delights of the turnip and the Tayto.

• Advertisement

rockbeer wrote: »
    I don't suppose this is due to deliberate discrimination against Irish producers so much as the legacy of hundreds of years of celebrating the culinary delights of the turnip and the Tayto.

not sure what you mean, all i mean is markets such as these are follow the ethos or loosely following the ideas of slow food movement

such as there is no really grain in buying an out of season organic tomato that was grown in south America, or sell a dish that made many of produce from out side the locality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go along to Farmleigh next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

not sure what you mean, all i mean is markets such as these are follow the ethos or loosely following the ideas of slow food movement

such as there is no really grain in buying an out of season organic tomato that was grown in south America, or sell a dish that made many of produce from out side the locality

I just meant that foreign producers tend to produce more interesting food. And it's hard to grow interesting produce in this abysmal climate.

Having traded in farmers' markets for a while I came to the conclusion that there was really no ethos beyond making money, and that farmers were in short supply. I'm not one myself by the way. I do basically agree with you about imported food, but I don't think I could stand living here if I was too strict about it, could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Temple bar market is worth the visit for hicks sausages, bacon and meat alone :D lovely to get Sundays breakfast ingredients there on a saturday !

rockbeer wrote: »
    but I don't think I could stand living here if I was too strict about it, could you?

Ah no, :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement