Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's second Lightning Detector

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

LOL! Sure, you'd have it all there barring summer heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 StratoQ

Danno wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but...

That is interesting, another station at Cahir. I wonder will it be added to http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp anytime soon?

Gurteen Agri College is located just off the Birr to Borrisokane road. This station is due to take over from Birr in 2009.

So I wonder does Cowen know Co. Offaly will have no met station in 12 months.:eek:

Gurteen is about 7 km from Birr. Yet again another long term climate station will bite the dust.

Also Belmullet is next. A new site is being planned for 2010/2011. Why? I dont know. But given recent site changes at Dublin and Shannon airports, there will only be a handful of synop stations(Valentia,Malin,Casement,Cork) left remaining that have a cohesive climate record.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Danno have did you receive the full version of nexstorm yet?

I have setup my station on the WASP(Wide Area Storm Program) to start off the triangulation for Ireland here. Your detector should help out now with mine to triangulate even for the half the country for now.

Let me know when you get it and i'll point you in the right direction.

Yes, I have it - since the detector went live online. The "lite" version that comes shipped with the Boltek does not have upload facility.

Can you post the links to the WASP here please and I'll join up straight away.

StratoQ wrote: »
    Gurteen Agri College is located just off the Birr to Borrisokane road. This station is due to take over from Birr in 2009.

So I wonder does Cowen know Co. Offaly will have no met station in 12 months.:eek:

Gurteen is about 7 km from Birr. Yet again another long term climate station will bite the dust.

Also Belmullet is next. A new site is being planned for 2010/2011. Why? I dont know. But given recent site changes at Dublin and Shannon airports, there will only be a handful of synop stations(Valentia,Malin,Casement,Cork) left remaining that have a cohesive climate record.:mad:

Geez, what is going on? What are the plans for Belmullet?

BTW StratoQ, is that your station in Kilkenny that features on WUnderground?

• Advertisement

Go on the nexstorm forum and PM Relko and tell him your interested in joining up for WASP2 program and the strikestarEU

You will need your NS serial No.
    LAT/LONG in decimal degree
    and antenna offset.

He will send you the relevant details.

Btw any news back from Paul in netweather?

Nope, no news from NW-UK. I guess with the Bank Holiday there it will be mid-week.

Will contact Relko tonight!

I notice you're getting some strikes in West Wicklow, North Carlow, South Kildare this evening while I'm picking up nothing there. Is that noise or is the Castlecomer Pleatau blocking my signal?

No a temporary antenna noise problem my end given false signals.

I am trying to setup my LD-250 detector atm also with the laptop(vista:rolleyes:) and been fluting around with it for a few evenings now just giving me some false reading now and again. No sparks meteorological wise on this island now hence me having the chance to flute around.

Ah, good stuff. So you have two detectors! Really then, I have Irelands FOURTH detector!!! :D:D:D

Yep the Ld-250 i have a long time now and went on the chase with it a few times(built for chasing) When i get time again i be out and about. Good thing about it also it hooks upto an NMEA GPS and gives the direction when travelling to storms. Try it on the config screen of Nexstorm and select LD-250 from PCI and watch the "lightning type distribution" change to gps heading, altitude, speed and if satellite are available etc.

• Advertisement

Have included the triangulated data on my site now WASP2.

www.irlweather.com

Im with strikestarUK and EU and the EU WASP2 version lets you look at real time lightning around Europe from all the triangulated detectors on the strikestar networks.Above is the regional zoomed map for Ireland(mapped with me centered) which will plot triangulated data.
    Atm Ireland is the last portion of Europe in detecting triangulted lightning but hopefully more detectors join myself and Danno soon.

Hopefully this be the best way of accurately plotting lightning for Ireland for the future.

Sent details to Relko as requested on this page: http://195.214.200.121/index.aspx?id=99

I put an "urgent" on it for the forecasted storms over the next 36 hours. Hopefully he'll be back on to me soon. No word still from the NW-UK.

Geez, what is going on? What are the plans for Belmullet?

BTW StratoQ, is that your station in Kilkenny that features on WUnderground?

The very one. Hope to have proper site up soon with full QC'ed and historical data and will add to the boards station list.

Yep there is so much chopping and changing now in Met É. Some changes, like at Kilkenny, has been forced about because of nearby building development work. Others are borne more out of "human inconvenience" (code for get the Teagasc guys to keep an eye on it and retire the met officers).
    End result is that we will have very few sites with continuous records over the past 50 odd years. How will we then be able to measure global warming properly?
    How secure is Teagasc anyway.Come 20 years they may all be changed/closed down. Then where will Met É go next?

That is shocking news really. I guess we can look forward to many data brownouts etc...

As regards a website - www.athost.net is what I use and thankfully no ads really.

Btw great to see your lightning detector in operation. Should be great for the South East - if we ever get to see some storms.

I hope to put a link to it on my site, if that's alright with you.:)

Sure, link away, no problem!

Damn Windows Update restarted the PC sometime last night. Now NexStorm is reporting ERROR11 on the Upload of data.

Sorted now - back online.

Damn Windows Update restarted the PC sometime last night. Now NexStorm is reporting ERROR11 on the Upload of data.
    Sorted now - back online.
    Configure Windows to ask to be notified first instead of downloading automatically.

Any joy with WASP2 from nexstorm? Has he even got back to you.

Danno, Just noticed your location is now up on strikestarEU

http://www.strikestareu.com/

All you have to do is configure the WASP2 ,syncom and your FTP and we both be triangulating for this country.

• Advertisement

Back online now! Master game of Hurling in Portlaoise, congrats to the Dubs, 0-18 to 1-12 win for them in the end - Dubs will go along way in the championship.

Back on topic... Got the syncom running... what do I do next to configure WASP2 and FTP?

Found the "readme" file... :)

The WASP2 will allow you to see all of Europe's triangulated lightning in real time with also a regional view on your centred position over Durrow.(Did you max the value range to 300km?)

The FTP uploads to your website, just put a new link on your site.

I have syncom and nexstorm running. In NexStorm under the Options menu, I selected
    "FlashGate IPC" and enabled the Strike option.

Nexstorm is already outputting to http://durrow.athost.net/lightning - is there still a step or piece of software I'm missing?

Have you got the wasp2 zip in an email from Relko?

Nope, just got syncom.

I will email him again. Does this mean that trinagulation is not currently happening then?

Nope, just got syncom.

I will email him again. Does this mean that triangulation is not currently happening then?
    Yes you are but the WASP(wide area storm probe) is a separate program that lets you view your data in real time(every second) aswell as real time lightning from the rest of europe.My regional view is live on my site but every minute for a visitor to the site you will also see a similar map for your regional display but centred over your location.The real time lightning for Europe(full display) is only accessible to WASP participants and cant be linked or uploaded to your site for visitors to your/mine websites.

You are triangulating however not in real time on the strikestarEU site but every minute

http://www.strikestareu.com/

I got the syncom first from him and a few hours later after he constructed the map, he sent it to me.
    Just send him another email.

That makes sense. Emailled him there now. Hopefully something tomorrow in email. I also contacted NW-UK again.

Does syncom perform auto ranging/calibrating within Nexstorm?

I also contacted NW-UK again.
    Go onto NW site and search for Paul the site developer and PM him directly from there.
    Does syncom perform auto ranging/calibrating within Nexstorm?
    No, syncom sync's your uploaded data from nexstorm to the servers hosting the strikestar triangulation.

I currently use 3 syncoms.

StrikestarUK
    StrikestarEU
    Netweather Strikestar

• Advertisement

Whoaa! Thats alot of syncoms! You must have a dedicated Broadband connection just for all the weather thingys!

My Digiweb connection (1024/128 fixed wireless) is feeling the strain from VOIP Line, Weatherlink, Nexstorm, Syncon, PC for general browsing and herself doing online data input on a laptop.

So, WASP2 and NW-Syncom will need to be added to the shed PC then. Poor PC - 1000Mhz AMD, 128 RAM, 10gb HDD and WinXP Pro - I can hear it creak already!!! :D:D:D

Oh and not to forget I use "LogMeIn" software to view the shed PC from work over the net also!!!

I wonder would a weather web-cam be a straw too far? :eek:

Advertisement