Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's second Lightning Detector

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

So, how exactly does triangulation work between our two detectors? (Automatic - if any)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Danno wrote: »
    So, how exactly does triangulation work between our two detectors? (Automatic - if any)
    To put in laymans terms, if you, i and a ceratin detector in the UK record a strike in the Irish sea for example the closer two of the strikes indicate the near position or close proximity of the strike.All you need to have is the antanna heading spot on and triangulation does the rest. Again the more the merrier for accuracy but that is a simplified way on how it works. Also the closer the strike to the detector the greater the accuracy nearly to the metre.

2/3 of strikes will be picked up in Ireland with our detectors triangulating. Basically a line from you, north to south and east of that is covered by us two and morecomb in UK. The west of that line for Ireland will be least favourite as morecomb is out of range for there and the west will be covered by us two only counting a decent % but not all for triangulating.

It is ran on autopilot through syncom via nexstorm and vica versa, uploads to Relko's server and the program(strikestar/WASP2) does the rest.You can tell from the strikestareu map where the detectors are and best triangulation.

Also configure the config file in syncom to autostart by placing 1 and delaystart to 60 incase of the likes of this morning if your pc reboots. This will auto start syncom and also do the same for nexstorm in the nexstorm tab menu.

Savage stuff. So I take it that the Syncom/WASP2 will, over time, eradicate ranging and calibrating for anything east of me?

Will configure the file tomorrow evening.

Hopefully there will be some decent storms over the next few days to give all this software a right good test.

Savage stuff. So I take it that the Syncom/WASP2 will, over time, eradicate ranging and calibrating for anything east of me?
    Yes most defo

Hopefully there will be some decent storms over the next few days to give all this software a right good test.
    This Friday looks warm and humid with more weather ingredients. Me thinks its a good day for storms.

Hopefully WASP2 will be in the email inbox tomorrow night. (c.11pm) Goodbye for now.

• Advertisement

Using "LogMeIn" to check email. Nothing from Relko yet. Looks like potential showers building around here today - even though it's still dry. Very muggy out.

Speak of the Divil:
    Relko wrote:
    You are already contributing your data via the Syncom client software.
    WASP2 is on the receiving end, meaning you can use it to view network
    data in real-time on a map (e.g. triangulated lightning data).

To get WASP2 please complete the form on this link:
    http://www.astrogenic.com/wmof.jsp

So I have that form filled in and sent in... the waiting game continues :rolleyes:

NW-UK are moving servers at the moment and will add me thereafter. Thank God I logged on today!

Speak of the Divil:

So I have that form filled in and sent in... the waiting game continues :rolleyes:
    You did use the max 300km for the regional range?

You should have that by tonight, and i will go through a few things with you when you get it installed.

Nothing in the email yet. Yup, I put 300km on the form. RTE tonight are forecasting an interesting weekend for storms. Tormorrow and Monday look the best.

• Advertisement

Got the WASP2 up and running. Will post the map on http://durrow.athost.net later on this evening.

Good, now familiarise yourself with the Error Tolerance in the readme file later on.

Snowbie, where do I find the WASP2 data on the PC to FTP on to the site? Nearly there with this. Can you post instructions?

Firstly(forget about FTP for the mo), Can you view WASP2 on PC now?

Hit Windows Start button and it should be there?

Yes, it's on my screen (Using LogMeIn) It appears to be running grand. I can see european strikes live.

Didn't realise you where accessing remotely.

It is the same FTP setting you use for nexstorm but create a folder where you can upload the screencaps too and name it exactly the same as in the FTP source dir.Make sure your screencap file(wasp2.png) is appearing in your html folder in the files of your host site.

The page should read http://durrow.athost.net/wasp2.png and then put a link to it in your website.

I saved the map images to My Pictures on the local PC. I pointed WASP2 to these images in the map config screen. Does WASP2 write the data on to these images (in My Pictures) OR does it generate new *.png images somewhere else on the Hard Disk? I searched the C:\Progra~1\Astrogenic\WASP2 Folder, but nothing there...

I am thinking at this stage that I need to be FTP the My Pictures files to the Web. Logging in remotely is likes using a 14.4kbps connection! Setting up the WASP remotely this morning took nearly 1 hour!

I might leave it till this evening to sort out the WASP FTP. But the program is working fine locally. I presume my data is going in there.

I will try and setup http://durrow.athost.net/wasp/wasp2.png for now - keep an eye out for it over the next few minutes.

Scratch the above - found the file - have it uploading to http://durrow.athost.net/wasp/wasp2.png - I will create a page around this tonight. I will set it up to upload every 2 minutes. Enjoy!

Danno if you can adjust your plot scale in nexstorm 0.7 or less.
    The storm over N Kerry your picking it up too far out in the Atlantic. This will not triangulate on WASP as your error tolerance will exceed 45km.

Have it set to 0.675. Hope it does the trick.

Interesting showers forming out there across the south and west now... Cheers Snowbie. :D

• Advertisement

Atm its not triangulating, my theory on west of your position is correct so far unfortunately. Though just to your south we both should have it spot on but the UK detectors are not picking it up. We need a third detector in Ireland. Our east should be fine.

I see the echo in the S/SE are being shown on the WASP2. Something is working :D

The following page is now live: http://durrow.athost.net/wasp/

Is there anything else to be done Snowbie, can you think of anything?

That link i Pm'd you last night gives you good advice on calibrating the detector. I suggest you read it through and go step by step. He is in an area similar to you.
    Although you need a good storm to calibrate it, 5 strikes p/min is alright, preferably 10 p/min is best.

It takes time and alot of patience. 1 strike is not enough to do it. Hopefully by the end of the summer we will have a decent bearing and distance to storms on the triangulation.We will get there eventually.

Regarding WASP2, read the pdf file in the readme. Error tolerance has to be understood fully.

Danno the triangulation is working fine with the intense storms, they are plotting perfectly

Back online now. 2000+ Strikes today!

Snowbie, I noticed that I also have over 2000 noises today. Is there a problem with the detector or is it normal when such a close t'horm occurs???

Snowbie, I noticed that I also have over 2000 noises today. Is there a problem with the detector or is it normal when such a close t'horm occurs???
    Sorry Danno, only saw this. Yep that is normal. When A TS is close by within 25miles they give off a lot of noise.If the Ts was further than 100miles and the noise count was that high then there be a problem.
    Have you got the noise ranging assist on Full?
    Also have you got the noise level set to default?

There is a TS over Leitrim/Cavan border atm, you are ranging it over Donegal, use the segmented ranging to bring this in a couple of increments.

I will pull the total ranging in from 0.6750 to say 0.5000 as the Kerry/Limerick storms appear off the coast.

Yes, Noise ranging is full and level is default. BTW Have you Windows Live Messenger?

• Advertisement

I have done -2 incremented ranging from 270 degrees to 360 degrees in the 61 miles plus range.

Advertisement