Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia tdi bellowing white smoke when accelerating

Options
  • 16-05-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Ran into a pothole and over rocks.
    Busted the sump. Mechanic fixed the sump.

But now when I accelerate a nice stream of white smoke comes out the exhaust. When the car is stopped and revved a small amount is coming
    out, the trail blocker only happens when its driving.

Also when its driving along its ok, but when I put the foot down
    there doesnt seem to be any greate uptake in speed (ok I know its a diesel but still)

Needless to say I've parked it up and wont drive it again.

Thought I'd post here for people who know way more than I about cars.
    Any ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

White smoke could mean that there is water in the cylinders, or antifreeze entering the cylinders. Possible cause is head gasket failure(open the oil cap and if you get a mayonnaise like sludge on the cap then that confirms that the head gasket is gone). That ain't good. You're actually seeing steam coming out the back of the car(the white smoke being the steam).

Here's a good link about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Unless you left a good cigar in the exhaust, it sounds like head gasket failure to me. Check your oil cap for sludge.

EDIT: beaten to it by E92

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yepp ..white smoke usually stands for water where it shouldn't be.

either that ...or a new pope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If you bust the sump and drove on you could have starved the turbo of oil and damaged it too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah i'd say it's the turbo fooked cos low oil wouldnt really damage the head gasket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

lol new pope.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Checked the oil, no sludge
    Sorry, meant to say, when its idle and revved and then turned off theres a ticking noise that keeps going.
    I was thinking the turbo too.
    Any ideas on €€€€€€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For what its worth mine does the same, and most diesels I've drove have done also.

Usually its when I accelerate hard, or (mine is the DSG gearbox) when slip the car into 'S' and give it some welly.

I like to get the Honda Civic boy racers with it when I leave 'em standing :D

Some one here has a Skoda forum in their sig. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but its a great source of info on Skoda's - I have it in my fav's but on my work computer at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I very much doubt it is a Head gasket.
    White smoke can also be a sign of incorrect timing on a diesel engine
    Again i dont think this is the case. You may have doen damage to your turbo or small/big ends. The turbo would normally mean blue smoke - the oil is escaping the turbo and being burned in engine/exhaust or it is failing to produce the boost and then you would have overfueling and black smoke.
    The tickin sound would have me thinkin it was small ends possibly but wouldn't really explain the white smoke
    I would remove the intercooler pipe and check for oil. Oil pressure test would prob be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Thanks for the advice. Back to the mechanic on Monday so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement