Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MR2 to Ferrari 355 conversion - opinions...

• 16-05-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I've been aware of these for ages, but saw one in the flesh recently. It was '92 MR2 converted to a Ferrari 355 - details of similar conversions here:

http://www.extreme-sportscars.com/gallery1.htm

The pics on the site make it look alright - I guess...

From what I heard, the guy spent somewhere in the region of 30 - 40k bringing it in from the UK.

Now, off the bat - I think the car is awful... from a distance (to me) it just looks 'wrong', especially from the rear. Up close it gets worse and worse the more I look at it (I see it regularly!).

It fooled a few people in work, but they are admittedly not into cars at all.

Oh yeah - it has big fecking 'L' plates on it too!!!

So my question to you all is - cool conversion or shocking waste of money??!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just plain wrong. But I'm glad they exist becuse I like to laugh at silly people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

It depends on how you look at it really. Fair enough its not a real ferrari, it's like wearing a Bolex watch thats supposed to be a Rolex for that reason I wouldn't buy one at all.

Though I love cars and the idea of taking an MR2 and converting it into a ferrari replica sounds like a fun project. Like a life sized Mechanico kit, would be a bit of craic. Probably wouldn't drive the bloody thing anywhere though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Shocking waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really get the whole ferrari thing, unless I was using it for track days the whole time, I wouldn't have much interest having one, and if its really a sh1tty clapped out mr2, then WTF.
    The worst thing about replicas as such is every time I see a ferrari on the street, I straight away wounder is it really a ferrari, or just a heap of scrap as such. So because of rubbish replicas, proper ferraris are degraded in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Its not only mr2s that can be converted peugeot 406s can be done to imo its a waste of cash you could buy yourself a nice porsche for 30k not a ferrari but a genuine car none the less seemingly u can convert a mitsi fto to some grade of porsche lookalike lol why dress muton to look like lamb you would know all about it if u pulled up alongside some glanza and it smoked your ferrari/mr2 n/a of course its just not worth the hassle:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

This took a long time to come up, I first saw this as a 355 berlinetta, at first I just thought it was a poorly built Ferrari.
    I came across the whole kit thing on the net. At first I thought this was a great idea. However as you start to price it, it becomes very expensive very quickly. The basic kit I think was 6000 sterling. This sounds like great value, but all the kit contains are the exterior fibre panels, The interior and the wheels which it just have to have are very expensive.
    It is a nice sounding project however.
    There is a guy in Kildare selling Murcialago kits. The panels are moulded of a real one.

My opinion on them if it was cheap enough I wouldn't care I'd have one. However the money involved I think could be better spent, but good luck to the people who have them, if they enjoy them why not, and even a fake Ferrari adds a bit of colour to a trffic jam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

If I bought a Ferrari it would be because they are the ultimate in exquisit engeneering and (model dependant as would my choice be ) driver appeal, but I would be worried people saw me as a small knobbed twat - as for some reason some people think you only buy a car like that to be seen in.

So by that measure I can only assume that these cars are bought for people with small knobs who think a car is for being seen in !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Im not even going to start on all the things that are wrong with that car - cos I might explode.

Bottom line; it's a horrendous waste of money on an absolute bag of sh*t:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

G-I-M-P.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Knew a fella in London who had a fake 911 turbo, complete with whale tale, wide wheels etc. From a distance it worked, Up close it was shocking , the GRP had gaps you could stick yer fingers in. No sure what the base car was but it had a diesel engine (Pug I think)
    He often had people panicking on the forecourt when filling up.
    He got the car in settlement of a poker debt , so in effect it didn't cost him , and he only drove it for a laugh.
    These things are OK as long as no one takes them seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fastman

An MR2 is an MR2, a Ferrari is a Ferrari, do not pretend to have one or the other. Its as annoyin as people stickin GTI badges on a standard 1.4 golf. Grrrr :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not forgeting the M badge BMW 318 brigade.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

mike65 wrote: »
    G-I-M-P.

+ ∞

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Wow - a lot of replies very quickly! So it is not only me that thinks this is a 'mod' too far!!

I pretty much agree with most of the comments posted so far...

I forgot to mention, since I first saw it, the quad exhaust has come loose and is hanging down a a weird angle....

Also - imagine the scene. He pulls a bird one night - arranges to meet her another night - picks her up in the 'Ferarri' - Nice car she (or someone new) asks - what is it? Is it a Ferarri?

Now he's faced with a dilemma - lie and get caught out (inevitably) or start to explain about how 'it's actually a 1992 MR2 and then...' you can imagine the rest of the conversation!! Mortifying!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Anyone who knows anything about cars will spot an MR2 with a 355 body kit. The proportions are all wrong.

If you dirve it for what it is - an MR2 that sort of looks like a Ferrari, then you'll get away with it.

If you try to pass it off as a Ferrari, then most people will laugh at you. There's one that's parked in the Pavilions in Swords. Hideous in my opinion, but I'm sure there are those that think it's the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I dont really see the harm in them tbh, personally i wouldnt drive one but i dont feel as strongly against them as some people here.

If i was super rich, i would convert a Ferrari into a '92 MR2 just to be ironic, that would be the ultimate sleeper!

I have to admit the unmolested mr2 is a nice car. I'm far too old to be a boy racer but I love those lurid yellow ones. but hey we are all car enthusiasts. lets face it most people on here own front wheel drive cars now THATS just wrong.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

A nicely modified MR2 is class. A ferrari replica is just sad though. Modify the MR2 by all means, but don't try and pretend you drive something you don't, you'll look a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Gick IMO....If you want a project car, build a cobra replica or a Lotus 7/caterham. At least its worth the effort, quicker too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

i hate ferrari replicas, i would never even consider converting an mr2, ive seen a few around and i dont know if the lads driving them think theyre the cheese but to me (a person that can spot the diff between an f355 and an mr2) they are just sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Mac 3

There was one for sale at a dealers in Limerick. It was so bad i'd say you if you looked at the garage on google earth, you could see the panel gaps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

thats alot of cash for what is essentially a body kit.

I like the MR2's they look class

I think its a waste of money

30k would get you a great sports car!

ksimpson wrote: »
    Anyone who knows anything about cars will spot an MR2 with a 355 body kit. The proportions are all wrong.

Anyone who isn't blind could spot that that wreck isn't a Ferrari!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's a lot of money to impress people who don't know cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

The only ferarri conversion i like is this Woodsport one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVSV1EVZF5k

And the main reason i like it is because of the v6 engine conversion! Mmmmm

I don't get it though, the mr2 for an 18 year old design is awesome, why would someone tack it up with scoops or ferarri kits i just don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mike65 wrote: »
    Not forgeting the M badge BMW 318 brigade.

Mike.

Here we go again. That would be the M3 badge BMW 318 brigade.

Edit: to go back on topic, here are some replicas:

MR 2

406 (€55k!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

HJL wrote: »
    I dont really see the harm in them tbh, personally i wouldnt drive one but i dont feel as strongly against them as some people here.

If i was super rich, i would convert a Ferrari into a '92 MR2 just to be ironic, that would be the ultimate sleeper!

i think it would be a first

eoin_s wrote: »

MR 2

406 (€55k!)

Ha ha, thanks for those - put a smile on my face.

Check out the quality body work on the "355", I really like the bonnet - no panel gaps at all!

OMG - that yellow 360 replica has been on carzone for an eternity - it is lurid!! The interior - shocking!! The gap in the bonnet - hilarious!!

And when they were spending all that money on it, could they not have lowered it?!?!?! Hahahahahaha - looks like a monster truck!!

The F355 replica above is almost identical to the one that prompted this thread. The one I see all the time has a (loose) quad exhaust & L plates, but the rest looks the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These replica things are like putting a blonde wig and micro skirt on Mary Harney, and bringing her home to meet your parents after telling them your dating Kate Moss!

Who are you kidding except yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

No $hit the 406 hasnt sold. You could buy a real one for the same money

Yea insurance and maintenance is a different kettle of fish, but FFS how could you choose a tarted MR2 over a Ferrari.

No disrespect of the MR2 by the way, its a great car IMO which make this even more sacreligious

Nice...but I'd say you'd need a serious rug to be allowed drive that car!!

mmmmmmmmm shag pile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The worst of it is people who put the 355 kits on 92 and 93 MR2's. The 355 came out in 94!! What plebs! If they were spending 30 or 40k on a kit, why not spend an extra 2k buying a newer MR2 to start with!!
    It's a total waste. You could get an R34 GTR for the money some of these are spending, or an Aerial Atom if you want a car to blitz a 355 anyway!
    You could spend half the money making an MR2 turbo into a fantastic car.
    A BMW 850i would be a far better place to put that sort of money even! There are so many options!
    If I had €40k, I'd be hunting an NSX.

Biro wrote: »
    The worst of it is people who put the 355 kits on 92 and 93 MR2's. The 355 came out in 94

I was thinking that myself, but never got around to looking it up - only a handful of people would realize that, but it still makes the whole thing even more embarrassing!!
    Biro wrote: »
    There are so many options!

Exactly!!! There are so many great cars that would be unique enough, powerful enough and.... legitimate (!!) to warrant consideration before you would get anywhere near a converted '92 MR2!!!

Each to their own I guess!

• Advertisement

MOG7 wrote: »

I hope that was a sarcastic awesome :p !!!

At least they convert the interior too!!

Had a brief look down the list - a Bugatti Veyron based on a '92 - '98 MR2...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA x infinity!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

bwardrop wrote: »

Had a brief look down the list - a Bugatti Veryron based on a '92 - '98 MR2...

Watch the video for the best laugh...Faster than the original!! hahahahaha
    http://www.supereplicas.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Heard somewhere recently that a load of these replicas were impounded and squashed for copyright infringement.

Think it was in Italy.

bandit197 wrote: »
    Watch the video for the best laugh...Faster than the original!! hahahahaha

Which vid?!

(... can't wait...!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

bazz26 wrote: »
    These replica things are like putting a blonde wig and micro skirt on Mary Harney, and bringing her home to meet your parents after telling them your dating Kate Moss!

Who are you kidding except yourself?

That pretty much sums it up.. Well put!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Which vid?!

(... can't wait...!!!)

Click on bugatti veyron on the left, then watch the vid....quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

well my username will say it-- I own a 1992 MR2 turbo.

Its a Toyota and it will stay a Toyota!! The idea of putting on a 355 replica kit makes me laugh!!

For the money it costs to get such a kit Id be buying a TT Supra or Id get the TRD Widebody kit for the MR2.

Had a brief look down the list - a Bugatti Veyron based on a '92 - '98 MR2...

It was sarcastic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Well, the first thing I would say, is... each to their own. If someone goes out and earns their money then I don't care how they spend it.

However, that said.... like all posters here, I simply do not understand it. F2 main reasons...

1) Who are you trying to impress ? Non-petrol heads won't give a shoite what you are driving. Petrol heads... will know it's an MR2. No-one's impressed.

2) It seems these cars cost around 40k ish. There are so many genuinely nice looking \ fast \ nice to drive genuine cars that you can buy for that money...eg...

The list is practically endless. If you want a shiney badge, you can get a new 3 series. If you want power you can get a 911, an M3, an M5....

Hell, as another poster pointed out, you can even get a real Ferrari..!!

BnA wrote: »
    Well, the first thing I would say, is... each to their own. If someone goes out and earns their money then I don't care how they spend it.

However, that said.... like all posters here, I simply do not understand it. F2 main reasons...

1) Who are you trying to impress ? Non-petrol heads won't give a shoite what you are driving. Petrol heads... will know it's an MR2. No-one's impressed.

2) It seems these cars cost around 40k ish. There are so many genuinely nice looking \ fast \ nice to drive genuine cars that you can buy for that money...eg...

The list is practically endless. If you want a shiney badge, you can get a new 3 series. If you want power you can get a 911, an M3, an M5....

Hell, as another poster pointed out, you can even get a real Ferrari..!!

I think that pretty much rounds everything up perfectly, well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Looks good if done right. Just remember it will never be a ferrari so leave the Toyota badges on it. If you attempt to claim you have a 355 you will be laughed at.

Personally id rather buy a faster car with the money your going to spend but im not you if its what makes you happy go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JackCharlton

These guys are a bit better
    On the rev2 kit
    genuine f355 parts will fit on the car (bonnet door boot bumper etc)

this is the rev 1 kit pics
    http://www.exactreplicas.co.uk/gallery.htm

this is the reason why all the other kits look so bad
    http://www.exactreplicas.co.uk/thefacts.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 whatthe...

eoin_s wrote: »

MR 2

406 (€55k!)

This is what surprises me..........
    How the fook can he be charging 55k for a converted Peugeot? Just because he's added a few carboard painted panels and a Ferrari Badge doesnt make it a legit Ferrari sale. A complete RIp Off!!! Anyone that is into modifying cars knows that money spent doesnt actually increase the value of the car unless its spent under the hood (to a degree).

In saying that, its an insult to the Ferrari reputation and the idiot who thinks of buying that piece of dog pooh deserves to have their pants pulled down and empty wallet jammed firmly up the back end.

Good luck with the sale eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 redhot

Some of these are of very high quality, drive surperbly, turn heads and pull crowds. Its amazing how much €€ people are prepared to pay for new boring cars that lose their value when they can have something like this that people drool over.

There's definately a touch of jealousy from a few. Imitation the greatest form of flattery, lets face it, the real McCoy IS fantastic. Such folks say "if I had money I'd buy a real one, and wouldn't be seen dead in a replica"- haha lets face it you'll never have a real one and always have "an attitude" ;-) so will be stuck with your very very boring cars , with your girlfriend looking admiringly at the replica or real Ferrari wishing she was in there!! :P

"if I had money I'd have an executive jet, not a little Cessna" hahahaha, same mentality, you know who you are. Just get a life and don't get sooooo hung up on things.:cool: especially as you'll never have either of 'em, so get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

redhot wrote: »
    Some of these are of very high quality, drive surperbly, turn heads and pull crowds. Its amazing how much €€ people are prepared to pay for new boring cars that lose their value when they can have something like this that people drool over.

There's definately a touch of jealousy from a few. Imitation the greatest form of flattery, lets face it, the real McCoy IS fantastic. Such folks say "if I had money I'd buy a real one, and wouldn't be seen dead in a replica"- haha lets face it you'll never have a real one and always have "an attitude" ;-) so will be stuck with your very very boring cars , with your girlfriend looking admiringly at the replica or real Ferrari wishing she was in there!! :P

"if I had money I'd have an executive jet, not a little Cessna" hahahaha, same mentality, you know who you are. Just get a life and don't get sooooo hung up on things.:cool: especially as you'll never have either of 'em, so get real.

Only an idiot would drool over an MR2 dressed up as a 355.

I'd prefer to drive a 355 with an MR2 conversion kit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement