Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did you choose to support your team?

• 16-05-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

I'm an Arsenal fan.

About 15 years ago, everyone hated Arsenal. They would score one goal and shut up shop.

I loved the fact that they were successful and hated.

Why did you choose to support your team?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ironically, considering it was the height of the George Graham era, because Arsenal were the first team I watched on TV who I found entertaining to watch! Largely thanks to Paul Merson.

I was a weird kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Only Gooners responding to this thread?

I was 9 years old and I thought Charlie George was the coolest footballer on the planet (long hair and sideboards where cool in 1971). He scored the winner against Liverpool in the FA Cup final and lay flat on his back on the Wembley turf. I became an instant Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lets keep it Arsenal! 1987, I was 8 years old and everyone supported Liverpool. League Cup final comes along, I decide to support Arsenal to be different. By the following year (Anfield, Michael Thomas and all that) I was hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am from Cork City. Therefore a Cork City fan.

As a kid, I supported Liverpool. They were the most successful, so an obvious choice. But I have only been to Anfield once, so my Liverpool supporting credentials are tenuous. Plus Liverpool have not exactly been a decent footballing side since pre Houllier, so that was a big turn off.

I am also a Leyton Orient fan, and I have alot more time for the Os that the Pool. Simply because I have been at "The Matchroom Stadium" tan any other English ground. Why? Because alot of Orient Fans are City fans who visit us also.

Then to contradict myself entirely, I am a Barca fan. I have never been to a game, but have been at the Camp Nou 3 times.

To answer the question in title, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Bluenoses are not manufactured, we are born.
    We do not choose, but are chosen.
    Those that truly understand need no explanation.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Coz my dad said so:D:D
    Anyway i dont know,since i know for my self i am Zvezda fan,thats what i was learned since i was kid:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

gimmick wrote: »
    I am from Cork City. Therefore a Cork City fan.

I am also a Leyton Orient fan, and I have alot more time for the Os that the Pool. Simply because I have been at "The Matchroom Stadium" tan any other English ground. Why? Because alot of Orient Fans are City fans who visit us also.

Then to contradict myself entirely, I am a Barca fan. I have never been to a game, but have been at the Camp Nou 3 times.

You're obviously afraid of crowds:p

Like true football fans, I didn't have a choice, my old man is a Forest fan, and I'm proud to be for the last 34 years......especially proud this last week, as we're on the way back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

As a kid I briefly supported Liverpool and Ipswich before finally settling for Spurs after the '81 Cup Final, as well as my local team Northampton Town. Dropped Spurs in the late '80s. Following two teams just doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Went to school in St Peters and played for the schoolboys, no choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Cos it's where I'm from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Newcastle United

Everyone in school were United supporters, as they were the 'in' team. I loathed the fact that I should support a team just becasue everyone else did. Therefore I decided to take a stand. A young Andy cole was banging in the goals, and Kevin Keegan was putting together the side that would be known as the entertainers. From there I was just drawn to the team in every shape and form; The football, the manager, the stadium, the fans, everything.

15 years later and I am still drawn to all above, if not moreso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was a weird kid.

You still are. :p

Spurs cos I was born to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dad started supporting them as his mate played for Shels (Joe Reynolds) and then started bringing me to matches in 2003, along my first game was in 1991 when I was 1 year old in Harolds Cross against St.Pats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Real football fans have the urge and need for live football and atmosphere. Football fans who have the urge for football on TV's are nothing but imitations.

Bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

real footie fans!! lol ur on your own their. obviously a live atmosphere is great but a sunday in the pub good also...

liverpool fan cos my dad and two older brothers are...

but here's one you night be interested in, maybe not. all my family are pool fans but me and my younger bro, 4 years younger than me, played champ manager 4 years ago. me being older got be our beloved liverpool. he chose aresnal. he bought joe cole, he loved him, and gave him the squad number no 2 for some reason. then as a joke for his 16th birthday i bought him an arsenal jersey with 'cole no2' on the back of it. he has supported arsenal pretty much ever since!!!! joke's on me....

lucky b%stard, i wish i supported them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Saw City beat United 5-1 in 1989, thought they were good so started supporting them. No regrets despite our ups and downs.

Real football fans have the urge and need for live football and atmosphere. Football fans who have the urge for football on TV's are nothing but imitations.
    Absolute rubbish. If I could afford to go to Old Trafford every week I would but I cant. That doesnt make me less of a fan of football than you. I go when I can and I love it. U go every week cos u can.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Saw City beat United 5-1 in 1989, thought they were good so started supporting them. No regrets despite our ups and downs.

Glory fan tbh!! :):)

I had no choice, my Dad was the only United fan out of 11 kids in his family, all of whom supported Liverpool, luckily my cousins (some of them anyway) have tasken to United as well so while my Dad as a United fan did a good job, my uncles as Liverpool fans obviously messed up!! Thank God!

I remember the first football match I watched was United vs Leeds in 1991, Ryan Giggs runnin down the wing at Elland Road, was hooked after that. Peter Schmeicel became a hero quickly and for him I supported the Danes in Euro 92. Then along came Cantona and that was that. The coach of my old football team was a big City fan and I remember comin to training one day and getting sent to do laps cos I slagged him after United had beaten City 5-0! Was worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Bray wanderers as i'm from Bray.

Well done on finally seeing my signature, even though I've had it for months.:rolleyes:

Well done on finally seeing my signature, even though I've had it for months.:rolleyes:

I dont pay too mcuh attention to sigs, I only saw it cos it was quoted, its still misguided. I agree that those who NEVER go to matches deserve to be questioned but I simply cant afford to go to OT more than a few times a year at most. Doesnt make me any less of a fan in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Pat's fan cos I'm originally from Drimnagh.

Had a passing interest in Liverpool as a kid but grew out of it. Only ever went to one game at Villa Park in '98 - couldn't believe how expensive it was. Place was full of scumbags too - I think that was the final nail in the coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I always like to follow my local club.

I grew up in east Belfast so supported Glentoran for years. Now I live in Dunleer so I follow Drogheda United (season ticket holder).

There's something about live football. I've supported Arsenal for 37 years, and I think they play the most attractive football in the world, but I'd rather watch the Drogs live than watch Arsenal on the TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea because they have millions and i love jumping on bandwagon's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

chdpoker wrote: »

Well said.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

My grandfather (an Everton fan) gave me an Arsenal jersey.
    This one:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ArsenalShirts/ArsenalShirtsAwayAnd3rdShirts/photo#5147792267131223330

Before then I was a United fan (shock horror!), but to be honest I didn't really care about football before that and just said I liked United because my family and 80% of the kids at school supported them. So anyway i jumped ship to Arsenal. Got bullied. Built character.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I was a very young kid and my favourite players / some of the only ones i knew played for Aston Villa 1)McGrath 2)Staunton 3)Houghton... he was the exact same type of player as i was when i was young

Andy Townsend was there too.

honestly loved the fact that nobody i knew supported Villa either. Its always sweeter when your team beats most of your mates (man U/L'pool) team as its a huge achievement and they often think they will hamer you. Meanwhile if they beat Villa everyone just thinks well your supposed to aint ya?

chdpoker wrote: »

Are you on the Irish Sunderland bandwagon and not to mention the ever-lasting Celtic one, and lets not forget the Zenit bangwagon because they beat Rangers.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Shels because they're my local club.

Gotta love the hissyfits from the tv fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Are you on the Irish Sunderland bandwagon and not to mention the ever-lasting Celtic one, and lets not forget the Zenit bangwagon because they beat Rangers.:D:D

What about the Eircom League 'I'm holier than you' bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

What about the Eircom League 'I'm holier than you' bandwagon.

Where is it and name 5 members?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Manchester United- My uncle and his best mate had a bet when I was a baby that the 1st person to get me to say their teams name would win a tenner. My uncle tried to get me to say ''Man U'', his friend tried to get me to say ''Leeds'', eventually my 1st word was ''Man U'' and ever since I've been a Red!
    And then VfB Stuttgart- It's a family tradition to follow VfB, we emigrated from Stuttgart way back when, so it comes from then!
    VfB ftw! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Probably more my Dads influence but my earliest memory of a united match isnt a good one
    FA cup final 1995, losing to everton, remember crying and bein in an awful state, aged 6, and ever since then they were my team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

I do have an urge to watch live football in the shape of Man U every week but thats simply impossible because of obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I supported Liverpool cos when I was younger all my mates did etc. My dad is from Glasgow and supports Celtic and was always trying to get me to support them but I had no interest in Scottish Football In fairness to him he brought me to Anfield a couple of times when i was younger. then when Celtic drew Liverpool in the Uefa cup (2003), he brought me over to ParkHead for the first time ( i wore a liverpool jersey,my da was in his hoops), and from the moment I walked up the stairs and out into the Jock Stein stand and heard the noise I started supporting Celtic. We also went to the away leg in Anfield, where fat arse Hartson himself scored an absolute cracker and left the Kop faithful stunned.

I normally dont post in the soccer forum as there is so much Celtic bashing, scumbag dublin fans, **** league,what have they got to do with us etc, but trust me if anyone has been to Parkhead or any of the away European games they would see things differently. Ive brought 5 different mates (utd,liverpool,arsenal supporters) to old firms,milan away last year and Barca this year, And they are now born again Celtic supporters.

I still like to see Liverpool do well, and most of all I love it when Utd get beaten although this season it hasnt happened that often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

allybhoy wrote: »

I normally dont post in the soccer forum as there is so much Celtic bashing, scumbag dublin fans, **** league,what have they got to do with us etc, but trust me if anyone has been to Parkhead or any of the away European games they would see things differently. Ive brought 5 different mates (utd,liverpool,arsenal supporters) to old firms,milan away last year and Barca this year, And they are now born again Celtic supporters.

!

Theres nothing quite like a wee bit of paranoia on a saturday night! :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

allybhoy wrote: »

I'm a united fan myself, was only ever at 1 Celtic match, and I can DEFINITELY see why they're so well supported!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca, lived there as a child, got Catalan in my blood, enough said?

KERPAL wrote: »

I do have an urge to watch live football in the shape of Man U every week but thats simply impossible because of obvious reasons.

The obvious reasons that they play in a foreign country, and are a foreign team true and ture.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Shels because they are my local club and the fact that Sky Sports failed to brainwash me - I'm above that :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

My younger brother and I supported the teams of our older sister and brother respectively, Tottenham and Liverpool. When we were about 5 they decided we couldn't support the same teams as them so we drew from a pack of top trumps of the top flight teams at the time. I drew Arsenal, he drew Aston Villa, poor sod. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk FC , Second most successful team in the LOI , and my local team that i have followed through all the up's and downs that we have had.

It cost me €10 on a Thursday night to go stand in a shed with 1000 other males with high testosterone levels , screaming abuse at the ref , and I love it !

Would i change to support a UK/Foreign team , Nope. Do i have anything against people that do ? No!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Liverpool FC...I have no recollection of why...i do remember my brother supporting Man U and maybe it was a sort of rivalry thing... and they were the team I heard most about, and they had Titi Camara!

AC Milan were my first team to support because I saw them playing Ajax in what was the first Champions League Final I remember...i dont even know what happened then...

*wikipedias*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Supported Manchester United because of Eric Cantona at first, and from ages 4-9 i think i went to every single home game for Bray Wanderers with my dad but one day, i cant even remember what it was because i was 9, but my Dad and a whole load of supporters were treated like **** because Nottingham Forest were playing and the red carpet was rolled out, but my Dad swore to never go again and i havent been since.

As i said i supported United when Cantona was there but when i was 7 i had a chat with Dennis Irwin in an hotel and he was the nicest man ive ever met, he was my hero, so i got alot more serious about United and have been over to a game each season since, still being in school i cant get over as much as i would like but im finished this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Started supporting United mainly because if my Man U brother. I suppose I really got into it after the 1996 FA cup final. Such a great memory :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I was basically a neutral until I ended up living in Reading for a few years so I started following them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i blame a cousin for my fanatical hair tearing out support of liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I was 12 years old and just going into Secondary School. I never bothered supporting football teams as such up until then but my friends all told me, I was going into the big world now, I "HAD" to support a team. I remember Blackburn Rovers finishing second from the season before, so I picked them. The friends all laughed at me, but I stuck with them and then the following season, they won the league.

For about 3 years after that, people were all " Oh you only followed them cause they won the league. " As soon as they got relegated, I didn't really hear much about it anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I don't really support any team I just follow the players I like & teams who play attractive football. The last few years tho I've taken Milan to heart because of Cafu,Maldini,Serginho & Costacurta. Now that there finished I'll probally pay close attention to Sevilla.

Seville play nice easy on the eye exciting football so I'll probally watch them for a while & hopefully with me supporting them we can knock Madrid off there F**king perch.

Come to think of it the Waffer Cup is where it's all happening next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Moved to a new town when I was 7 back in '86. Started following Utd as one of my first new friends (God rest him) followed them so got into them and went from there. It was tough first 4 years!! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Long time ago but I think a part of the reason I support Liverpool is because I felt sorry for them when Mickey Thomas denied them the league in 1989 with his 89 minute goal. :D

I was too young at the time to realise how successful they had been over the previous two decades so my sympathies might have been slightly misplaced. :p

Apast from that it was probably because they had a few Irish player playing for them around the same time such as Whelan, Houghton etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement