Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did you choose to support your team?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

gimmick wrote: »
    I am from Cork City. Therefore a Cork City fan.

I grew up near Tolka Park, so I'm a Shels fan.
    I like watching the English league but find it difficult to understand how anyone Irish can have any affinity for one particular club over the other. Seems ridiculous to me, but it's an old argument and I just let people be. Wanting to be English seems like a very sad thing for an Irishman to be though.

If I watch the Prem, I generally don't care who wins, just like to see a good match. In honesty, Manchester United have the most annoying and numerous fans, so I would generally root against them. If they have a good game and deserve it, good luck to them. Arsenal usually give a good game.
    If I'm ever in London, I'll usually go along to a Prem match - don't care who - Chelsea, Fulham, Arsenal... whatever's available.
    I think, in general, money has ruined the competitiveness of the English game.

In disclosure, I haven't been to see Shels since the recent unpleasantness.
    Been thinking of going around to Rovers as they are now my 'local' team.
    Can't quite bear to though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

I think, in general, money has ruined the competitiveness of the English game.

In disclosure, I haven't been to see Shels since the recent unpleasantness.
    Been thinking of going around to Rovers as they are now my 'local' team.
    Can't quite bear to though.

There's a link ;)

raheny red wrote: »
    There's a link ;)

Touché.
    It was like watching an alcoholic friend slip deeper and deeper into the abyss.
    You could see it happening, but there was nothing you could do to stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i live a mile from where my local team play, which is why i follow cork city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I like watching the English league but find it difficult to understand how anyone Irish can have any affinity for one particular club over the other. Seems ridiculous to me, but it's an old argument and I just let people be. Wanting to be English seems like a very sad thing for an Irishman to be though.

I grew up in Cork for the most part, support Aston Villa, My family are Villa, Our extended family live in Birmingham and theres Villa & Brum (but no WBA) fans there too, My childhood memories of trips to VP, watching Teletext for Villa results and idolising stars like Mark Draper were all part of the experience of being immersed in Villa (having Villa bedsheets!).

Im also 100% Irish, played Hurling and partake in road bowling, I enjoy Irish literature and have a passable (not fluent) knowledge of the irish language,im probably more Irish then you ever will be and love my country in spite of narrow prejudices like yours, so stop trolling with ridiculous statements like "Wanting to be English seems like a very sad thing for an Irishman to be though" and get a life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its a fairly valid point and he wasn't exactly being rude or offensive about it. No need to be so defensive about it.

DSB wrote: »
    Its a fairly valid point and he wasn't exactly being rude or offensive about it. No need to be so defensive about it.

My spidey senses tell me there is a barstool republican behind the poster i replied to, just getting my POV across.

And he equates following a PL team to wanting to be English, you might not consider that statement as rude or offensive, but it is stupid and illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

eZe^ wrote: »
    Barca, lived there as a child, got Catalan in my blood, enough said?
    a course of penicillin would clear that up in a fortnight for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

And he equates following a PL team to wanting to be English, you might not consider that statement as rude or offensive, but it is stupid and illogical.

Seems true enough.

Support Shels because there the closest team to me and me Dad brought my down over the years.

Like to see Watford do well because my Dad's from there.

• Advertisement

im probably more Irish then you ever will be and love my country in spite of narrow prejudices like yours

Thanks for that. My Da was Padraig Pearse, so there.

I think I said that it's an old argument and I just let people be, but it's still something I believe in.

I've lived in various cities and countries due to the nature of my work.
    Newcastle when the team is doing well is a fantastic place to be. Milan when either of the teams are playing too.
    Ditto for Baltimore and the Orioles or Philadelphia and the Eagles.
    It's a fantastic thing to behold when a town or region gets behind a team that's their own. It's special and hard to describe, but it's absolutely, without mistake, part of what gives the city and its people their identity. Ask anyone that's lived in those places, it's part of what binds them.
    We get something similar with the GAA - not so much in Dublin though, only here and there.

We've kinda traded that in, that passion, that sense of belonging, for some plastic version of it and I would say that we're missing something because of it.
    I will honestly never understand why a man from Athlone or Mallow will deck himself out in Liverpool or Manchester United colours and live or die for a team that's in another country and call them 'we'. Why you would invest that much passion into something that's not your own. I just don't get it. Never have, probably never will.

People think that because they do it and all their mates do too, there's nothing odd about it, but there is as far as I can see. If you're not English and you're wearing an English top and say 'we', I think you look daft. Sorry, but I do.

I'll be watching the match tomorrow night with everyone else down the pub and hoping for a good game. And I'll probably still see 4 or 5 Premiership games next year too, I just don't care what ground or end I'll be standing in.
    The real buzz for me will be in Parnell, Tolka or Croke Park(s) though, cos they're my teams.

I'm not having a go, it's just what I think.

Thanks for that. My Da was Padraig Pearse, so there.

I think I said that it's an old argument and I just let people be, but it's still something I believe in.

I've lived in various cities and countries due to the nature of my work.
    Newcastle when the team is doing well is a fantastic place to be. Milan when either of the teams are playing too.
    Ditto for Baltimore and the Orioles or Philadelphia and the Eagles.
    It's a fantastic thing to behold when a town or region gets behind a team that's their own. It's special and hard to describe, but it's absolutely, without mistake, part of what gives the city and its people their identity. Ask anyone that's lived in those places, it's part of what binds them.
    We get something similar with the GAA - not so much in Dublin though, only here and there.

We've kinda traded that in, that passion, that sense of belonging, for some plastic version of it and I would say that we're missing something because of it.
    I will honestly never understand why a man from Athlone or Mallow will deck himself out in Liverpool or Manchester United colours and live or die for a team that's in another country and call them 'we'. Why you would invest that much passion into something that's not your own. I just don't get it. Never have, probably never will.

People think that because they do it and all their mates do too, there's nothing odd about it, but there is as far as I can see. If you're not English and you're wearing an English top and say 'we', I think you look daft. Sorry, but I do.

I'll be watching the match tomorrow night with everyone else down the pub and hoping for a good game. And I'll probably still see 4 or 5 Premiership games next year too, I just don't care what end I'll be standing in.
    The real buzz for me will be in Parnell, Tolka or Croke Park(s) though, cos they're my teams.

I'm not having a go, it's just what I think.

Fair enough, in fact i would agree with some of your sentiment, but ultimately you equate following an English team with wanting to be English and by extension, less Irish. Im sure you can understand how offensive that notion is to plenty of no doubt pride Irish people who follow Premier League clubs, myself included, i also go to Croke park, Pairc ui Chaoimh, Pairc Rinn etc.Not so muc h Turners X anymore....

I've just seen that supporting your local team reinforces your local identity, and I have to think that putting all your sporting passion into a foreign one, attaches you to an identity that is not your own.
    I apologise if that offends anyone, but it's how I see it.

Each to their own though. One of my best friends flies to Liverpool for every home game. I'd like to have some kind of intervention for the lad but no one's arsed.

(My Da's not really Padraig Pearse btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ecksor wrote: »
    I was basically a neutral until I ended up living in Reading for a few years so I started following them.
    :eek:
    You forgot to mention that team in your sig ;)

Well, I grew up in a Liverpool house, my dad and his dad.

I went with Manchester United, mainly because of Robson.

Then I went to see Shels play Karpaty Lvov sometime in the 90s and started going to matches, but then a job in which I was working Fridays kicked in, and my LoI interest fell by the wayside, my brother (also Liverpool) kept up the interest though, then I changed jobs and was able to go again. That was the beginning of the end as far as EPL went for me.

I felt more of a genuine connection to Shels, seeing them week-in week-out, the players not being Prima Donnas helped too. You could have a chat after a game, jaysis when we won leagues the players would be in the bar handing around the league trophy full of booze.

Started working for the club on a voluntary basis too, and when the shít hit the fan I bought into the Supporters Group to keep the club alive.

Shels is a part of me that no other club could be. There were tears in my eyes the night we won the League back in '06, knowing it was all about to collapse around us, but we bounced back, and 18 months and a demotion on, we are starting to come round, slowly.

We'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I first took an interest in Chelsea around 03/04 when the money got here, then when they won the league for the first time i knew i was a true blue!! :p
    Not really, but I get that a lot.

I was never much of a soccer fan til I was around 12 or 13, but when I did watch I was amazed by Zola, he quickly became my favourite player and from there i took an interest in Chelsea, I was a big fan of Desailly too. I dont claim to be a lifelong supporter or be "part of the club"(ala DesF, fairplay to ya btw), but im certainly no fanboy who jumped on the abramovich bandwagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

I first became aware of them in about '89 when I got a (cor!) Commodore 64 for my birthday, Commodore were the shirt sponsors at the time, but I wasn't into footie as a kid, it wasn't until Italia '90 that I started watching football, and I saw one or two games that didn't impress me (Mostly involving Dave Beasant in goals) and that horrible cup final in '94, but by that stage I had warmed to them, and it was one cup game in late '95 (I think) I saw Dennis Wise and Ruud Gullit in midfield together and they had me spellbound, it was probably around '93 I had decided I was a fan, but that match nailed the blue colours to my mast, then Zola arrived. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

It's striking how many of these responses are of the 'happened to be on the telly' (because they were winning things) or even on a games console, at a time when I was sensitive to such things.

Surely following a team goes deeper than that? I'm really trying not to be preachy here, as I'll happily watch EPL and CL, but we do literally need a reality check.

Think about it: football on television actually is not football. And you need to be clear about whether you like football, or just like television.

Sitting there watching ManU steamroll Wigan or whatever financial pygmies are this week's victims may be entertaining and engaging, but you are not at a match, nor are you part of the event. You are on a sofa or, indeed, on a bar stool hundreds or, as is often the case these days, thousands of miles away. If you have a heart attack and fall off your barstool, not only will no one actually connected with the event or club care, no one, whether they are in Dublin, Manchester or Shanghai, will know.

As for saying I'd go to Old Trafford/Stamford Bridge more if I could afford it, isn't that the point? You don't live there, they haven't invented the technology affordably to beam you there yet. So it's not real to follow that team exclusively at the expense of a team where you do live.

Football is about the game being played as a real sport, for real people and communities, in places you can touch and feel. Television is about looking at things happening very, very far away.

Now, what time is kick-off in Moscow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

I follow Bohs too mate, but we have to be totally honest, the majority of fans in this country are gonna watch the premier league as the quality of football is light years ahead of the Eircom league, I don't watch TV at all, saving live footie and rugger, so, no you're wrong, I hate TV and I love football, kick off in Moscow is 10:45, making it 7:45 here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

DerKaiser wrote: »
    I follow Bohs too mate, but we have to be totally honest, the majority of fans in this country are gonna watch the premier league as the quality of football is light years ahead of the Eircom league, I don't watch TV at all, saving live footie and rugger, so, no you're wrong, I hate TV and I love football, kick off in Moscow is 10:45, making it 7:45 here
    You love football on TV. You also follow a local team in a league that can never hope to compete in terms of player quality with the richest league in the world. That's what I do too.
    But most Irish football fans exclusively follow it on television (or on games consoles) and I think that tells us something.

DerKaiser wrote: »

I think his final question may have been for rhetorical effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Became captivated by Man Utd from seeing them on TV and began rooting for them whenever they were on. I think it dismayed my Dad as he was more partial towards Arsenal. When he realised I was staying a United fan though he bought me lots of magazines and United tapes. I also absolutely idolised Mark Hughes and he was my favourite player. Later on it was Roy Keane.

Don't feel a great affinity with my local team Bohs but I like to see them do well since my grandad was a big fan and since a lot of my mates from school followed them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Supported ManU as a kid but grew out of that rubbish 1991 ;-)

Was in school when Rovers and Galway were in the cup final in Lansdown Rd. At the time Rovers played in the RDS which was close to the school and there were plenty of Hoops fans there too.

Lost the final but have supported Rovers ever since. You kind of get hooked on live football and meeting up to go to games etc. etc. Now that the fans own the club its all the better!

As for football on TV - MNS RTE 2 Monday 8pm :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm Irish but somehow I manged to first support Bohemians and the Irish national team.

My interest in Bohs went, then came back...went and has sort of come back(but I sort of just go to random matches)

The only team I really care for is Ireland. If Ireland miss a penalty I cry...if Ireland concede in the last second in the US puppet state I go into a state of depression.

I also always had time for Dynamo Kyiv and I think after Ireland it was the second jersey I got from my uncle from Ukraine.

SectionF wrote: »
    It's striking how many of these responses are of the 'happened to be on the telly' (because they were winning things) or even on a games console, at a time when I was sensitive to such things.

Surely following a team goes deeper than that? I'm really trying not to be preachy here, as I'll happily watch EPL and CL, but we do literally need a reality check.

Think about it: football on television actually is not football. And you need to be clear about whether you like football, or just like television.

Sitting there watching ManU steamroll Wigan or whatever financial pygmies are this week's victims may be entertaining and engaging, but you are not at a match, nor are you part of the event. You are on a sofa or, indeed, on a bar stool hundreds or, as is often the case these days, thousands of miles away. If you have a heart attack and fall off your barstool, not only will no one actually connected with the event or club care, no one, whether they are in Dublin, Manchester or Shanghai, will know.

As for saying I'd go to Old Trafford/Stamford Bridge more if I could afford it, isn't that the point? You don't live there, they haven't invented the technology affordably to beam you there yet. So it's not real to follow that team exclusively at the expense of a team where you do live.

Football is about the game being played as a real sport, for real people and communities, in places you can touch and feel. Television is about looking at things happening very, very far away.

Excellent post.

I disagree.

Watching a game on your own arugably could mean you are more of a fan of football. You don't have anything to excite you(fan chanting, general atmosphere) the only thing you have is the tv and yourself. I know this is the reason I don't attend some Ireland games because I want to see how the match plays out. I just can't do this when I go to a game. I'm going to the Ireland game on Saturday for the atmosphere...I will rush home on the Bus and watch it again on RTE TWO to actually experience the match.

Watching a game on your own arugably could mean you are more of a fan of football.

I know you have supported it decently enough, but I still think thats one of the most bizarre opinions I've heard.

Sorry what I mean is that some could think this. From an Irish perspective this is clearly not the case, as Irish league attendances indicate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I could have supported someone else I suppose, but I would have been beaten up even more often by my big brother.

In Portsmouth you don't get too much choice regarding who you support :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

A lot of my family supported Liverpool, I wanted to be different I started supporting Man Utd just annoy them at first but, eventually they grew on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm going to the Ireland game on Saturday for the atmosphere.

With the exception of a Mexican wave, a round of "You boys in green", "Fields of Athenry" (with the usual muppets adding in IRA and Sinn Fein) and if you're luckly and we loss then you get a round of booing.:rolleyes:
    Sorry what I mean is that some could think this. From an Irish perspective this is clearly not the case, as Irish league attendances indicate.

Just a note:
    Irish League = Northern Irish League
    League of Ireland = Rep. Ireland League

With the exception of a Mexican wave, a round of "You boys in green", "Fields of Athenry" (with the usual muppets adding in IRA and Sinn Fein) and if you're luckly and we loss then you get a round of booing.:rolleyes:

You're right, but I don't so much mean a vibrant Fernabache-esque atmosphere just the general feeling of being at the Ireland match.

I don't mind so much the Sinn Fein aspect of the song...but the IRA bit annoys me, but only because the people who chant it probably have no idea what they are chanting about.

Just a note:
    Irish League = Northern Irish League
    League of Ireland = Rep. Ireland League

I don't recognise Northern Ireland, thus Ireland has only one league.....well partially true.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

My mother went in to Dublin around 1974 ( I was 7 ) and brought me out a light blue T Shirt with white collar and sleeves - so I became Colin Bell. Why oh why did she have to do it? She could have got a red one and I would have been Kevin Keegan, that would have made for a happier life....

... then I moved to Bray and started supporting them. Why oh why did I have to do it? I could have moved to Drumcondra/Fairview, that would have made for a happier life....

... then I saw a Barcelona jersey. Why oh why............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Live close to the X so its Cork City for me.

And of course Arsenal. Saw some player of theirs score a great goal sometime in 1988/1989 when i was 8. Can't even remember who it was (think it was Michael Thomas), but what got me hooked was his celebration. He did this mad aerial twisty turny summersault thing. Never seen anything like it before (maybe i should have gotten out more!:D)
    It was Arsenal all the way with their yellow strip for me!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I'm a Man U fan. I wasn't given a choice really. My grandfather had been a Man U fan for years and years. My mam, in turn, is also a Man U fan, so I was dragged into it; not that I'm complaining. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

brayblue24 wrote: »

... then I moved to Bray and started supporting them. Why oh why did I have to do it? I could have moved to Drumcondra/Fairview, that would have made for a happier life....

Indeed you could be supporting Shels.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Oldest brother is a United fan, next brother is a Liverpool fan. they had a small recruitment thing goin when I was six. the United brother won and im so glad he did! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Indeed you could be supporting Shels.:eek:

Gav is the Southside Red Recruitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

While I agree with you in as lot of what you've said, it all boils down to exposure. Put it this way, if my Dad hadn't taken me to Tolka Park when I was 4 I probably wouldn't have discovered League of Ireland football until I was about 10 and was old enough to stay up til half 10 or whatever on a Friday night to go to a game. Contrast that with the Premier League. By the time I was 10 I was hooked on City because I had easy access to them either through live games or Match of the Day re-runs on a Sunday morning before I went to my own game.

The first thing a kid sees in a sports shop is a United jersey, or the latest boots worn by Cristiano Ronaldo. Turn on the tv and Thierry Henry is promoting a new car, or the next Ford Super Sunday is being bigged up. Where is the eL in all this? Why aren't Jason Byrne or George O'Callaghan doing Lucozade ads instead of Damien Duff? That's where the problems lie.

Look, if your average run of the mill football fan has the opportunity to sit in front of the tv with four or five mates and a pizza and a six pack in the fridge then they are more likely to do that than freeze their balls off in Dalyer on a cold Friday in February. Right or wrong that's the way things are and it's unfair to put the blame squarely on Average Joe who just wants to watch a bit of football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So true. Football on TV is an event to be watched. Unfortunately for the EL the PL is sexy and attacts all the plaudits making the job to promote the EL much harder. The EL's quality has come on leaps and bounds in the last ten years but people dont give much of a toss about it. They would prefer to have their heine in a nice comfy chair watching United vs Wigan rather then go do the road and expereince real football where they can get invovled, all be it at a slightly less quality.

Its Ireland in the 21st century.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

jank wrote: »
    Football on TV is an event to be watched. Unfortunately for the EL the PL is sexy and attacts all the plaudits making the job to promote the EL much harder.
    Absolutely. Stick Pat's and Boh's in Anfield in front of a full house with all the Sky Sports trickery and then maybe you'll attract a few more bar-stoolers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Manchester United. Parents moved from Dublin to Manchester to work in the 60's (No jobs here). I was born in Manchester. My whole family are United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

While i agree with idea of what your saying, i cant particularly agree with this.

I moved from Glasgow to Donegal at the age of 9, by that point i had had my first season ticket at Ibrox, i had seen my first old firm game and i was well on my way to having the passion for Rangers as i have now.

It wasnt possible for me and my dad to travel over to ibrox every week to watch the football, and Scottish football was very rarely on the telly at that point.

The things we did to get to know what was happening when Rangers played was amazing, we would drive the car down the road a little bit to a point were we could pick up an extremely faint and crackly reception of Radio Scotland and listen to the games there.
    I even remember going to the pub and "watching" the Old Firm game on Teletext! :eek:

We would do ANYTHING within our possible reach in order to get some sort of live commentary on the game, and in many ways still do.

My younger brothers grew up with this, the youngest of them was actually born in Donegal, and both of them are as fanatical about Rangers as myself, are you saying this is wrong and they should be supporting Finn Harps?
    because i wouldnt fancy trying to tell them that!

What i am trying to say is, that while i understand your point about supporting a foreign team is at the expense of your local club, but to say that watching them on TV or listening on the radio if theyre not on TV makes them any less passionate about that particular club is wrong.

People who are on edge when they know their team are playing, no matter where in the world they are, and will do ANYTHING they possibly can to get information on whats going on before they can relax are every bit as as passionate as those who stand in the terraces every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I must be getting old in Boards terms I've seen a few of these threads over the years.

Anway I started supporting Villa when Houghton, Townsend, Staunton and GOD (aka McGrath) were playing for them as I didn't want to be a glory hunter like my brothers who just picked Liverpool because they were winning everything at the time.

I always laugh when people ask who I support and I say Villa and they laugh, I always say "are you one of those soccer fans that only wants 4 teams in the league". I don't have a problem with people supporting Utd or Liverpool but I do have a problem with those fans laughing at other teams because they decided to follow a top team.

Up the Villa

Ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I have extremely mixed feelings about this thread.

I have already made my feelings clear on the TV Vs Live action debate, but i find it really hard to understand the fact that people are able to just go ahead and "pick" a team to support.

Surely there must be some form of attachment, some form of feeling within your actual being in order to really support a football team?

This is where i side with the "local" team argument, at least with them, no matter how bad theyt may be, there is some sense of pride in them, some sense of camaradary with the people beside you in the stands or watching with you on the TV?

Eirebear wrote: »
    I have extremely mixed feelings about this thread.

I have already made my feelings clear on the TV Vs Live action debate, but i find it really hard to understand the fact that people are able to just go ahead and "pick" a team to support.

Surely there must be some form of attachment, some form of feeling within your actual being in order to really support a football team?

This is where i side with the "local" team argument, at least with them, no matter how bad theyt may be, there is some sense of pride in them, some sense of camaradary with the people beside you in the stands or watching with you on the TV?

Excellent point, as a Chelsea fan, I certainly fall into that category of fan. The thing is, Im from Carlow, I went to school with most of my local team, I really dont fancy having there posters on my wall, lol.

• Advertisement

topnutz wrote: »
    Excellent point, as a Chelsea fan, I certainly fall into that category of fan. The thing is, Im from Carlow, I went to school with most of my local team, I really dont fancy having there posters on my wall, lol.
    Do you have Chelsea posters on your wall?

:confused:

Ashley, is it?

DesF wrote: »
    Do you have Chelsea posters on your wall?

:confused:

Ashley, is it?

Not my point.....but YES*, problem?:D....

Maybe "Posters on the wall" was the wrong analogy

*may not actually be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

topnutz wrote: »

Id prefer to support people I went to school with than the likes of Ballack who signs for Chelsea at 100k a week and starts complaining about house prices.

bohsman wrote: »
    Id prefer to support people I went to school with than the likes of Ballack who signs for Chelsea at 100k a week and starts complaining about house prices.

Fair point, but I think you missed my point. Supporting a local Dublin(EL) team is very different from most of the rest of the country, ye have stands, we have fields ,lol. The nearest EL/1st Div teams to me are the likes of Wexford or Kildare, niether of which I have any more affiliation to than Chelsea or Man U, so forgive me if I was bowled over by the more glamorous option as a kid.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Absolutely, people can support whoever they like, I have no problem with it, I just expect others to feel the same, ie not laugh at me when I say I follow Bohs and ask me who I really follow saying the el is ****e etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement