Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did you choose to support your team?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

bohsman wrote: »
    Absolutely, people can support whoever they like, I have no problem with it, I just expect others to feel the same, ie not laugh at me when I say I follow Bohs and ask me who I really follow saying the el is ****e etc.

+1,

Id be delighted if Shels or Bohs etc were my local team, you should see what us culchie types have to settle for:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

jank wrote: »
    So true. Football on TV is an event to be watched. Unfortunately for the EL the PL is sexy and attacts all the plaudits making the job to promote the EL much harder. The EL's quality has come on leaps and bounds in the last ten years but people dont give much of a toss about it. They would prefer to have their heine in a nice comfy chair watching United vs Wigan rather then go do the road and expereince real football where they can get invovled, all be it at a slightly less quality.

Off the bat I'll just say I prefer watching my favorite team live than on TV.
    BUT to say the stuff on TV isn't 'real football' is just plain silly. Some people do prefer to watch matches alone. They like to watch the match undisturbed by (often inebriated) people yelling nearby. They like the added benefit of television replays and professional (depends on who they have on) commentary.
    I'm not saying either option is the one true way to watch football. Given the choice (money not being an option) I'd take a live match over the same match on TV any day of the week. But to say the guys who watch the champions League final on TV arent watching 'real football' is plain ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I started supporting Liverpool because one day in school my friend said that he supports Liverpool, I was 9. Honestly I don't see the point in just stopping supporting them even if there foreign, but I do attend the odd EL match.;)

It was 1984 and I was a wee seven-year-old girl.

My dad was very animated watching the European Cup final on telly, and was shouting for the team in red.

I remember seeing a funny goalkeeper in a green shirt jumping around, waving his arms and pretending to be drunk. And I liked those red shirts.

That was it, I was a Liverpool fan. Been over to Anfield more times than I can remember (on my own on some occasions!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Indeed you could be supporting Shels.:eek:

Yep, that's where I was going with that one ( although not nowadays obviously )....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

brayblue24 wrote: »
    ( although not nowadays obviously )....

?????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was indoctrinated as a child, all my family are United fans.

Having a vested interest makes watching sports all the more interesting, so ya might as well pick a team and support it, and United was my first team so I shalln't be defecting!

I don't have any other reason to follow United (eg. proximity, family ties), nor do I take it too seriously, but life is more interesting if you devote yourself to some degree to something, and in the realm of sports, my thing is Man United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I was indoctrinated as a child, all my family are United fans.

Having a vested interest makes watching sports all the more interesting, so ya might as well pick a team and support it, and United was my first team so I shalln't be defecting!

I don't have any other reason to follow United (eg. proximity, family ties), nor do I take it too seriously, but life is more interesting if you devote yourself to some degree to something, and in the realm of sports, my thing is Man United.

Which is why I am devoted to Catholicism.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ah -- I knew you were too smart to actually believe that crap! :pac: Actually wait...

;)

edit: That's twice I've e-winked at you in the past minute... people will talk ¬_¬

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Off the bat I'll just say I prefer watching my favorite team live than on TV.
    BUT to say the stuff on TV isn't 'real football' is just plain silly. Some people do prefer to watch matches alone. They like to watch the match undisturbed by (often inebriated) people yelling nearby. They like the added benefit of television replays and professional (depends on who they have on) commentary.
    I'm not saying either option is the one true way to watch football. Given the choice (money not being an option) I'd take a live match over the same match on TV any day of the week. But to say the guys who watch the champions League final on TV arent watching 'real football' is plain ludicrous.

Now i never said you are not a football fan if you watch a match on tv. But watching it on TV doesnt fill your senses like it does when you go to watch a live match, any live match! Is it real football? Well maybe the word real isnt the right word to describe it. Maybe diluted.

What i was saying is that TV makes it much more accessable for anybody to watch a game and to follow a PL team when they wouldnt even dream of going down the road to follow an EL team.

I suppose this form of entertainment attracts alot of event junkies who only watch 2 or 3 matches a year on tv. I couldnt even watch the game mid week in my usual local cause it was packed. Where were all these guys during the usual league game vs villa, man city, even bacra when the pub was generally empty. It just boggles the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

?????:confused:

That does look a bit cryptic actually. I meant that this is the first time that supporting Bray is prefferable to supporting Shels (however long that lasts)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

brayblue24 wrote: »
    That does look a bit cryptic actually. I meant that this is the first time that supporting Bray is prefferable to supporting Shels (however long that lasts)....

Ah now. Lets not go too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Honestly I don't see the point in just stopping supporting them even if there foreign, but I do attend the odd EL match.;)
    Nothing wrong with that. While I am one of these people who find it difficult to understand why people support (usually) successful teams from abroad, it only really pisses me off when they dismiss the EL as rubbish, even though most have never even been to a game. Or worse still, when they do go to a European game involving an EL team and shout for the opposition because they recognise one of their players, e.g. Henrik Larsson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Galvasean wrote: »
    That's television! :D

You're watching a production that purports to represent reality, but it can never be reality, and in fact you seem to want it to insulate you from reality. Yes, they are pointing their cameras at and talking about real football, but they can never deliver real football, because that doesn't happen in living rooms and in pubs.

Cutting out crowd noise and adding replays, slo-mo, graphics, music, and rent-a-quote (RTE) or bland (BBC, Sky) pundits makes it even less football, and more a television show. Which is grand, so long as you are conscious of what you are viewing and don't try to kid yourself otherwise.

PS: sometimes live football fans are inebriated, as are live GAA, rugby and cricket fans, and sometimes viewers of television football programmes are inebriated. They all also are prone to the odd outbreak of yelling, and sometimes they might even use rude words, like An Taoiseach. Imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

SectionF wrote: »
    That's television! :D

You're watching a production that purports to represent reality, but it can never be reality, and in fact you seem to want it to insulate you from reality. Yes, they are pointing their cameras at and talking about real football, but they can never deliver real football, because that doesn't happen in living rooms and in pubs.

Cutting out crowd noise and adding replays, slo-mo, graphics, music, and rent-a-quote (RTE) or bland (BBC, Sky) pundits makes it even less football, and more a television show. Which is grand, so long as you are conscious of what you are viewing and don't try to kid yourself otherwise.

Excellent post.

In my eyes going to a match simply means you are not lazy. As I said before I go to Eircom League or Ireland matches to feel part of something, when I watch at home it requires much more concentration on the actual match.

Football is a spectacle it makes no different if your looking from the side of the pitch or a million miles away.

In my eyes going to a match simply means you are not lazy. As I said before I go to Eircom League or Ireland matches to feel part of something, when I watch at home it requires much more concentration on the actual match.

Football is a spectacle it makes no different if your looking from the side of the pitch or a million miles away.

There's a different though, League of Ireland needs money badly whereas FAI don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Hammerette born and bred!

All began those sweet 17 years ago...

Dads a hooligan...

*Forever Blowing Bubbles*

:D

Cheeky_gal wrote: »

Dads a hooligan...

Is he Irish?

Just I know the likes of the Headhunters (Chelsea), Bushwackers (Millwall) despise the Irish, I'd guess the ICF would aswell.

• Advertisement

Is he Irish?

Just I know the likes of the Headhunters (Chelsea), Bushwackers (Millwall) despise the Irish, I'd guess the ICF would aswell.

Oh yea, daddy aka "the major"...

Yea he's Irish...

*GSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

can i have your autograph please? :)

There's a different though, League of Ireland needs monemt badly whereas FAI don't.

Agree completely Gav.

Yea he's Irish...

*GSE

Aw piss taker.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yea he's Irish...

*GSE

so as its clear im not attacking the poster here, that post is full of ****!

kryogen wrote: »
    so as its clear im not attacking the poster here, that post is full of ****!

You think. Never see the movie Green St?

GSE = Green St Elite
    The Major = Old leader of the GSE

Whereas the ICF is the real West Ham firm.

• Advertisement

CLEARLY, I'm only having a laugh, keep those panties on lads, I sense a feud.

CLEARLY, I'm only having a laugh, keep those panties on lads, I sense a feud.

I'm an avid watcher of Hooligan groups around European and beyond, I don't like people messing with me.:D

Advertisement