Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

System of a Down vs Rage against the Machine

• 16-05-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

System of a Down vs Rage against the Machine, I don't know if this has being done before but....
    Which band is better?
    Me and my friend have being arguing for a while about which band is better.
    I personally believe System of a Down is a lot better
    Rage against the Machine I find a repetitive and the lead vocalist's voice kind of annoys me.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

agent 47 wrote: »
    Which band is better?

Black Sabbath, every metal band is still ripping them off, including both of those lightweights :pac:

Real answer: there is no better. It's down to your personal taste. It is ok for you and your buddy to have a difference of opinion, get over it, move on and just enjoy music without wondering about statistics and ratings and other irrelevant trivia. If you like the music a band makes, is that not enough? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

can't call it tbh,they both have some amazing songs and some ****e ones too:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I prefer cheese over chalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

lord lucan wrote: »
    can't call it tbh,they both have some amazing songs and some ****e ones too:confused:

name 1 ****e Rage song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

This is a pretty stupid thread tbh, it's all down to personal taste really. But as far as i'm concerned, Rage are far far better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Don't Fear The Winter is a bit weak, they've done better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Doctor J wrote: »

:D:D Nice one, memories of bands like Rage and Running Wild come flooding back.

Hmmmmm maybe that should be the question, who is the better between Rage and Running Wild?

Has to be Running Wild with "Under Jolly Roger" and "Raise Your Fist" swinging the vote:D

As for the original question between Rage Against The Machine and System Of A Down, I can listen to both and enjoy both, as to which one I prefer, it would depend upon my mood that day.

If music sounds good, then that is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Faith No More > both. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Give me SYSTEM any day!
    although offically they are on "extended hiatus".. Serj Tankina isnt doin too bad for himself going solo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Doctor J wrote: »

ye.. y'see the closest thing you'll get to a bad Rage Against The Machine song is a bad song by a completely different band "Rage". :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Bodycount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

name 1 ****e Rage song

that killing in the name song is pretty lame:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 agent 47

playa3 wrote: »
    This is a pretty stupid thread tbh, it's all down to personal taste really. But as far as i'm concerned, Rage are far far better.

Well sorry i meant to say in your opinion who is better.
    jackass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

IMO there is no contest, RATM are far better, SOAD shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath I don't understand how anyone could :confused:
    RATM = genre defining
    SOAD = last gasp of nu metal with some semblance of ability relative to the rest of the dross out when they started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm sick to death of both.

Machine fucking Head! \m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Irish Halo wrote: »
    IMO there is no contest, RATM are far better, SOAD shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath I don't understand how anyone could :confused:
    RATM = genre defining
    SOAD = last gasp of nu metal with some semblance of ability relative to the rest of the dross out when they started.

LOL @ "shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath I don't understand how anyone could." Welcome to the real world not everyone shares your taste. Maybe somehow you can appreciate that they are both very good bands without being blinded by your fanboyism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Rage against the Machine, have better songs, but their Lyrics sound like something an angsty 15 year old would write.

That being said, SOAD's lyric's aren't much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think Rage are a bit more serious. There's a lot of stigma with SOAD because they're often associated with young teens getting into metal. I was one of them *cringe* I think maybe that association puts some people off. They're still a good band though,some great songs but also some s*it ones (last two albums anyone). Serj's solo stuff is like good SOAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Does Serj play any of the SOAD stuff when he is doing his live shows? Going to see him next week in a festival (Where RATM will be also) and i couldnt be arsed listening to his new stuff beforehand.

For what its worth RATM>SOAD..........but these arguements are pointless.....i like both bands (as stated above, up until SOAD released the last 2piles of turd) but i love RATM and cant wait to see them next week.

Just to see Brad Wilk giving it socks on the drums.........

Ain't it funny how the factory doors close
    Round the time that the school doors close
    Round the time that the doors of the jail cells
    Open up to greet you like the reaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

Blisterman wrote: »
    Rage against the Machine, have better songs, but their Lyrics sound like something an angsty 15 year old would write.

That being said, SOAD's lyric's aren't much better.

Can't say I agree mate, I find SOAD's lyrics pretty good most of the time. "Teracotta teracotta pie".. musical genius :P But seriously, I don't think either band have angsty lyrics. Rages' lyrics show the absolute comtempt they have for all of the injustice in the world, they're not talking about breaking up with girlfriends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

gucci wrote: »
    Does Serj play any of the SOAD stuff when he is doing his live shows? Going to see him next week in a festival (Where RATM will be also) and i couldnt be arsed listening to his new stuff beforehand.

See ye in the pit for RATM so gucci ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Lemming wrote: »
    See ye in the pit for RATM so gucci ;)

You going to Madrid?
    Cant fricking wait, RATM and machine head.........ah its gonna be awesome!

On the actual lyrics thing, Serj is a great singer, but singing dosent work with RATM (see audioslave)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    There's a lot of stigma with SOAD because they're often associated with young teens getting into metal
    Pretty much. Though I still think their first album kicks ass :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

RATM +10000000

SOAD are, in my opinion, aimed at 16 year olds. I think everyone goes through a stage of liking them and growing out of it. I loved them for a couple of years and now I can't stand them. Their latest album with the bent name was god awful.

RATM are one of the most amazing rock/metal bands ever. Apparently they play one of the best live shows in the world too. I'll love RATM forever. I never get bored of them, I don't dislike any of their tracks, the lyrics and their music never fail to make me say "fcuk yea, THIS is it!"

I'm just so sad that I'm missing them live :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Does one of them have to be "better"?

I don't know, this has inspired me to create a CD that's just a mix of them both, and they're both very different. System's just the blunt end of anger, 3 minutes of pure power, delivered direct. Rage is more stylish and colourful but doesn't have the same raw energy. It's pretty much summed up in the fact that you can get 50% more System tracks into the same amount of time, they're a bit more schizophrenic and certainly more exhausting to listen to.

Ask me next week when I've seen RATM, then I'll be able to make a valid comparison for you!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Who is better?.. hmmm

In my opinion the answer to this question only really impacts you if you are 12 or 13, maybe even 14 or 15 and enjoy feeling like you have people on your side... bit of a mob mentality perhaps...

I like both bands, but neither are OMG Freakin AMaZing!!111 or anything like that.. they're both grand to listen to and I'd like to seem them both play live, but there are certainly other bands I would rather see ahead of them. To each their own preference, we're lucky enough to be entitled to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Mactard wrote: »
    Who is better?.. hmmm

In my opinion the answer to this question only really impacts you if you are 12 or 13, maybe even 14 or 15 and enjoy feeling like you have people on your side... bit of a mob mentality perhaps...

Agree 100% there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

agent 47 wrote:
    System of a Down vs Rage against the Machine, I don't know if this has being done before but....
    Which band is better?
    That's not a fair question as the bands in question aren't that similar. You might as well be comparing chalk and cheese as kowloon said. For what it's worth I much prefer Rage Against The Machine but that's not to say that System Of A Down are a bad band.
    Blisterman wrote: »
    I have to totally disagree here. Zack De La Rocha's lyrics are fantastic in my opinion. Lines like these are genius and have stuck with me since I heard their first album a long, long time ago :).
    In the right light, study becomes insight
    If ignorance is bliss then knock the smile of my face
    Yes I know my enemies
    They are the teachers who taught me to fight me
    Compromise, conformity, assimulation, submission
    Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
    All of which are American dreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

Rage. there is no contest. few bands have had the impact RATM had, and from a personal point of view, i find their music to be FAR superior. SOAD bored me quite quickly, RATMs riffs, and pure unbridled energy and aggression never bores me. amazing band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Not that I particularly care either way, but personally I'd prefer SOAD. Contrary to what most people are saying, I think RATM are a really teeny bopper band, far more than SOAD. Having seen both live twice, I'd definitely prefer them.. I remember going to see Rage in the Tivoli and came out of the gig severely disappointed, not least because Tool were cancelled from the bill.

Advertisement