Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

System of a Down vs Rage against the Machine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I think RATM are a really teeny bopper band
    How come?
    Oral Slang wrote:
    I remember going to see Rage in the Tivoli and came out of the gig severely disappointed, not least because Tool were cancelled from the bill.
    Why does what Tool do impact on your opinion of Rage Against The Machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I think Rage are just anger & no substance. They hit on a formula & stuck with it.. While I don't mind them, I just think they are very repetitive.. System of a Down in comparison are really entertaining and you don't get bored with them.

Tool don't influence my opinion on Rage at all, just was well pissed off when Tool were taken off the bill, some crap band got put on in their place & then Rage only played for an hour:eek: Wouldn't mind but it was a midnight gig, so had to pay a fortune to get home, really big deal when you're still in school! Big disappointment I have to say

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a tuff one but id say id go for rage :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I would say RATM simply because they're the only band I've heard to mix rap and metal and make it work. I'm not a big fan of either band though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

This has to be the most pointless stupid argument i've even come across....both great bands period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

This has to be the most pointless stupid argument i've even come across....both great bands period
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

Oral Slang wrote:
    System of a Down in comparison are really entertaining and you don't get bored with them.
    speak for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Starryeyd

all I know is that I'm hoping on a plane to Berlin to see RATM, wouldn't be doing that for SOAD, maybe its an age thing, I grew up with RATM..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

System of a down without any question. Who is rage against blah blah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Just back from seeing RATM in Madrid on Friday night. I have now seen both, and for what its worth, RATM are better imo. i find myself flicking to them more often than SOAD on my mp3 player and the gig was awesome. take a look at this class picture of how they came on stage dressed. started off with Bombtrack.

• Advertisement

There is absoloutely no comparison between rage and system.

Rage are far far FAR better then system are or ever will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

gucci wrote: »
    Just back from seeing RATM in Madrid on Friday night. I have now seen both, and for what its worth, RATM are better imo. i find myself flicking to them more often than SOAD on my mp3 player and the gig was awesome. take a look at this class picture of how they came on stage dressed. started off with Bombtrack.

Woah thats a kickass picture! Man i really wish i was goin to see them this year. Hopefully in the near future i'll get the chance anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Honestly I could never truly enjoy either band, I think there's far better than both of them put together available. It seems to me that a lot of people don't bother with the hassle of having to actually look for good music and would rather be told what it is according to friends and media. I think both of these bands enjoy their success because of this phenomenon, which would very much relate to an earlier comment about them being "teeny-bopper" (let's not lie to ourselves).

These bands are very much aimed at the young, look at RATM: they mix basic rap and metal with vaguely (generically, even) revolutionary lyrics. Now ask youself, what do angry young teenage boys (and some girls) listen to? I remember many friends being into these two bands at about 15 or so (mostly RATM), and they would seem to be getting into it as an initiation rite for some sort of club for the cool alternative crowd, who basically all listened to the same things and any attempt to broaden their horizons was met with brute force nay-saying and "put on System of a Down again." You know, the kind of people who say they're big music fans and listen to anything but they're obviously fooling themselves.

Now I'm not saying all RATM and SOAD fans are this way, I'm just saying that the vast majority of their fans that I've met personally have been that way to varying degrees, and most of my friends have outgrown them over the years. You still find a lot of people who claim to like them too, but can't really name any songs other than "Killing In The Name Of" and "Sleep Now In The Fire."

That said, if you truly enjoy a band then listen to them, don't let anyone else tell you what you do or do not like. Comparing bands is always a pointless exercise because music is an art form, which means it's subjective and does not really have any facilities for "keeping score." Only fools and despots deal in absolutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

gucci wrote: »

Wow, that is f'in class... brilliant photo. I'm headin over to the Berlin gig on Monday. Gona be unreal, Coachella last year was amazing... good to see they played Vietnow and War Within A Breath at the gig. thanks for postin that photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

These bands are very much aimed at the young, look at RATM: they mix basic rap and metal with vaguely (generically, even) revolutionary lyrics. Now ask youself, what do angry young teenage boys (and some girls) listen to? I remember many friends being into these two bands at about 15 or so (mostly RATM), and they would seem to be getting into it as an initiation rite for some sort of club for the cool alternative crowd, who basically all listened to the same things and any attempt to broaden their horizons was met with brute force nay-saying and "put on System of a Down again." You know, the kind of people who say they're big music fans and listen to anything but they're obviously fooling themselves.
    Now I'm not saying all RATM and SOAD fans are this way, I'm just saying that the vast majority of their fans that I've met personally have been that way to varying degrees, and most of my friends have outgrown them over the years. You still find a lot of people who claim to like them too, but can't really name any songs other than "Killing In The Name Of" and "Sleep Now In The Fire."

That said, if you truly enjoy a band then listen to them, don't let anyone else tell you what you do or do not like. Comparing bands is always a pointless exercise because music is an art form, which means it's subjective and does not really have any facilities for "keeping score." Only fools and despots deal in absolutes.

I said above, I did point out that comparing two bands is a bit pointless, but i preferred Rage Against The Machine. I've been listening to them since i was about 14, and true they may be basic on some levels, but maybe i like the fact that i can pick up a guitar and churn out a couple of Tom Morello noises with little effort. But i know that there are loads of other bands out there with more intense and better music that i cant play and am first to admit I will never be able to either!
    I listen to a hell of alot of other music and bands, that people could argue on all levels whether they are better or not, but stick on Bulls on Parade or Spiders and its a blast from the past, and I cant help but get on a high again and start singing along with it.

And nearly every band going has "fans" could only name two songs.

Wow, that is f'in class... brilliant photo. I'm headin over to the Berlin gig on Monday. Gona be unreal, Coachella last year was amazing... good to see they played Vietnow and War Within A Breath at the gig. thanks for postin that photo.

Yeah the gig was class. Seen Cavelara Conspiracy beforehand (even though not really massive fan) but the fact that they were Brazillian etc the Spanish crowd seemed to love them. It was a savage gig and I was kind of nervous that RATM were going to be a bit of a downer afterwards. But then they came out in the Jump Suits and the place went MENTAL, me included!

That picture was off the electric weekend website.

Where did you get hold of the setlist? Just would like some clarification :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I love both but RATM are fantastic IMHO.

Excellent band, their cover of kick out the jams was legendary.

Although Serj Tankian will always have my respect for doing this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

IMO System are better, but love RATM too =)

Yeah, was a good cover kickoutthejams ... nothing will be as good as the original though obviously!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Oh yeah, Holiday in Cambodia.... I saw him play that a few weeks back, came as a complete surprise but it was fricking awesome, the crowd really bounced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

That's a hard one now, But I would say RATM. I like Serj's solo stuff... SOAD stuff is a lot better though.

audioslave ;):P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

SOAD for me definitely, been a fan for ages. RATM are good but I do get kind of sick of the funk riff/rap/screamed repeated line formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 roxy81

System all the way!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

anybody going to see rage sunday :cool:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I'd say pre-Hypnotize System. Once Daron started singing I zoned out.

Although Rage follow close behind. Hmm...I'll think I'll still stick with System though. First album owns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

I love both but RATM are fantastic IMHO.

Excellent band, their cover of kick out the jams was legendary.

Although Serj Tankian will always have my respect for doing this:

Yeah he played this when I seen him in Dublin was class. Didn't think they would so was even better being suprised.

And between rage and system....depends what day of the week it is. Although one thing is for sure...the music world is beter off with both bands together then off at other solo stuff/split. No offense to Audioslave, serj's solo thing or scars on broadway which sounds like muck from what I've heard.

All IMO of course ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Comparing the genre defining fantasticness of rage against the machine to nu-metal middleweights SOAD is like comparing Led Zeppelin to the frames.
    Who gives a toss?
    RATM have a back catalogue to be proud of.

SOAD have one good album which I cant even listen to anymore because of big bird the lead vocalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DaleZA

RATM without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

After witnessing rage against the machine last night. There is no competition. The reason rap is part of their style is because of where they grew up and what they were interesting in as artists growing up. Last night morello ripped it, he was amazing. I have never seen a better band live. How can you call their lyrics lame? which songs in particular ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

agent 47 wrote: »
    System of a Down vs Rage against the Machine, I don't know if this has being done before but....
    Which band is better?
    Me and my friend have being arguing for a while about which band is better.
    I personally believe System of a Down is a lot better
    Rage against the Machine I find a repetitive and the lead vocalist's voice kind of annoys me.
    What do you think?

What kind of person engages in this argument in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Is this thread a joke? Rage all the way.

Advertisement