Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror's Edge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was until i saw it was an EA game.

where's the '08 they must of omitted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Yes, very.
    @ Cremo: EA publish alot of games, i know. heh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I dunno - while the graphic and artstyle looks great, I'm a bit cautious about how its going to work in practice. First person may not be the best way to go with it either - it would be nicer to be able to see the whole environment around you.

Early days yet, but the gameplay so far hasn't impressed as much as the technical purtiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah looking forward to it. Although, like Johnny_ultimate, i'll reserve my opinion until its released, i've seen too many games get hyped up and then fall flat on their face due to repetitiveness or poor gameplay and storyline *cough*timeshift*cough*

The graphics also aren't anything special. I mean its only concrete and blue skies. It looks like they've super contrasted all the textures. What is impressive is the camera movement which looks pretty close to realistic.

I'm looking forward more to [prototype] though, I think if a game is going to feature free running it needs to be 3rd person.

Downloaded the trailer from the PSN and I have to say it looks very pretty. Hopefully it will play as good as it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Why the hell is everything red and blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I love the art style and use of colour. The music was great too and it's an interesting idea so it could be good.

It's going to live or die by how the controls work though. Hopefully they work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

TomCo wrote: »
    Why the hell is everything red and blue?

Anything coloured in the environment you can run on, also heard they are colour coded based on difficulty. But not sure if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

apparently it's mostly blue because they're trying to portray a totalitarian society where everything is based on technology but that technology is constantly monitored (hence the need for the 'runners' to transport information) and they wanted to eliminate everything organic, hence no greens or other colours.

The red pieces are there to show you what path to take but they're only there for the first few levels so you become orientated easily.

i think it looks very good, but could fall flat depending on the controls, as was mentioned.

they're trying to employ realistic enough controls, you have to make sure you're up to speed when taking a jump and you have to be careful with balance when crossing beams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The game is set in a conformist dystopia in which communication is heavily monitored by a totalitarian regime, and so a network of runners, including the main character, Faith, are used to transmit messages while evading government surveillance.

Thats a fucking awesome premise/excuse for a free running game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

the whole idea of a free running game makes me feel very skeptical but i'm hoping this one with dissuade my fears!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I hate how (we) Internet nerds still get our knickers in a twist anytime something comes from EA -- a company that actually funds innovative game designs & concepts.

Is the taste of FIFA Sports *really* that sour? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I hate how (we) Internet nerds still get our knickers in a twist anytime something comes from EA -- a company that actually funds innovative game designs & concepts.

Is the taste of FIFA Sports *really* that sour? :pac:

The EA symbol is sometimes unnecessarily maligned: they do publish a hell of a lot of fine games - stuff like Burnout, Stranger's Wrath and more were published by EA (even if they did **** up the Burnout soundtrack with the dreadful EA Trax). And I've been hearing good things about Boom Blox.

Its just they do have a lot of **** developed too. They can sometimes completely overmilk a franchise: any sports titles or the Sims for example. And their recent port of the Orange Box on PS3 is supposedly dreadful.

But as a giant gaming company, they do both bad and good. It is true though that alot of people unfairly jump down their neck, but they aren't completely innocent of crimes against gaming either.

Advertisement