Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exploding car battery

Options
  • 16-05-2008 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I tried to start it and the starter went for about 2 seconds before I heard a loud bang.
    The battery isn't that old. but probably older than the 4 years of warranty on it. Nothing wrong with the car except from a patch in the bonnet that got a good acid dousing. I think I got rid of most of the acid that spilt out.

this happen to anyone else here? or are you all good obedient souls who buy a new battery every 3 years?

800px-ExplodedBattery.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - batteries explode. But before you simply buy a replacement, get the charging circuit checked in case something else caused the battery to burst........

I don't replace batteries every 3 years - no need - they'll let you know when they've decided to retire :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

This can happen pretty much anytime. An internal spark in the battery ignites the hydrogen gas inside the cells. Usually happens during jump starts or disconnecting battery charger. Imagine if you had been leaning over it disconnecting leads. Many people have had serious eye injurys because of this. Wear protection when working around car batteries. (er eye protection I mean.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

stratos wrote: »
    This can happen pretty much anytime. An internal spark in the battery ignites the hydrogen gas inside the cells. Usually happens during jump starts or disconnecting battery charger. Imagine if you had been leaning over it disconnecting leads. Many people have had serious eye injurys because of this. Wear protection when working around car batteries. (er eye protection I mean.)

that would be fairly sore alright.

i had a battery laying around will let you all know if that blows up too

Advertisement