Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certain People/Places

Options
  • 16-05-2008 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else ever find that certain people or places can have an adverse effect on their speech? There are some people with which my speech can be terrible, for some reason I can barely speak when talking with my parents.

Ordering food in the work canteen is a nightmare at the moment and my local Subway for some reason is also causing major problems.

But my worst seems to be any visit to the doctor. It has got so bad that recently I have had to write down my problem on a sheet and hand it in!

I think it is the inferiority complex with the doctor but I'm baffled by other situations.

Regards,

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Using the phone is when I am at my worst I think. At least when I am face to face with someone I can see how they react, rather than trying to second guess on the phone. Ordering lunch is never easy for me either but I am not as fearful of it now. I used to suss out a few places trying to work out which would be the easiest place to order food in, which took up most of my break :o but I have become a lot less self concious (although not totally) about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Receiving phone calls from people I don't know can be awful, but making calls and receiving calls from friends is perfectly ok.

Unfortunately I end up stuttering and/or talking jibberish at 100mph to a few of my friends who I can only describe as slow talkers. When I mean slow talkers, I mean they talk at a slower rate than most people and usually give a slightly longer than usual pause when responding to something I say. Its probably because I think that the gap in the conversation is something I should fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement